GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

GP or JCW?

Old 03-04-2011, 03:38 AM
teeots
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GP or JCW?

HI Guys,

I just joined five minutes ago and have a question. I am looking at buying my first mini. I started looking at s models with the intention of going the aftermarket route- engine performance and suspension, etc. Then I started looking at GPs and JCWs. I have narrowed it down to:

1: GP with 50kmi

2: JCW with 30kmi, with H&R springs, rear sway bar, oz wheels, camber plates

Probably the wrong place to ask the question but I look forward to your input. Also, my background is with wrx's and sti's so now I am wondering if a gp or jcw will keep my interest. Not a daily driver, but a somewhat regular use vehicle- 2-3 drives per week for errands and fun drives, occasional short trips.

Thanks

Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
pretty close in terms of performance( if the JCW is a late R53 or has updates), decisions might come down to; color , options, overall condition, freshness of wear items, money.
Do you have photos to post?

Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 AM
teeots
1st Gear
No photos 'til I make up my mind!

If its that close than I prefer the single color of the Jcw to the 3 or four colors of the gp.

Any gp owners feel differently?

Old 03-04-2011, 07:06 AM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Teeots,

I went from WRX to STi to Audi S5 and now to JCW MINI. The MINI is the most fun to daily drive of all of these. However be prepared as it does not have the power of any of these. (well maybe better than WRX). The quick handling of the MINI is fantastic. However if doing a lot of long trips the S5 was fantastic.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:12 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Get the GP, it's better set up for what you want to do. It already has the GP intercooler, which isn't cheap, rear wing, which also isn't cheap,and rear seat delete, so if you're going to mod, the GP is the better platform IMHO. Camber plates/sway bar are relatively easy and cheap mods...

Old 03-04-2011, 07:18 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a 03 MCS with many mods and now have a GP.

The GP has all three JCW options (Engine, Suspension, and Brakes) plus a few nice additions such as larger intercooler, aluminum trailing arms, different ECU tune, underbody panels, and overall lighter weight (no rear seat and other little things) not available on the JCW.

Does the JCW you mention just have just the engine option? I suspect so since someone added springs. The JCW suspension is very nice. The JCW brakes are no big deal (just the same as the Gen2 R56 stock brakes) but are better than the stock Gen1 R53 brakes.

However, JCW that you mention has the suspension parts that are good to add to a GP; camber plates and larger rear sway bar.

Some of the decision depends on the year of the JCW. I would suggest an 05 or 06 because they have the better transmission ratios.

The GP is louder inside due to no rear seat and less insulation.
Some people like the looks of the GP aero package with the CF wing and some don't. So that might be a decision point.
The GP is special since there are only 2000 in the world.

If the JCW has the stock shocks with the H&R springs the shocks are probably due to be replaced soon. The shock shocks do not last as long with shorter springs. The stock shocks on my 03 MCS with H&R springs lasted about 45,000 miles.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:20 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I work at RCE so I've got a lot of experience with Subarus. My mini is more fun than a WRX and at least a stock STI. A regular S like mine needed a few mods to get it there, but both the JCW and GP will be almost there. For the GP just add IE fixed camber plates, maybe a rear bar, and call it a day. Just my opinion.

The GP is awesome, but for me it might be a little over the top styling wise. Very cool though. If it's better cared for, OR the JCW is a pre-05 model, then I'd go for it.

- andrew

Old 03-04-2011, 07:20 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by teeots
Also, my background is with wrx's and sti's so now I am wondering if a gp or jcw will keep my interest.
Should keep your interest quite well. Power should be fairly comparable to the WRX and handling will be tighter.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Flynscot0256
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mini's

Both are great choices I just picked up another GP with 15,000 miles on it.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:43 PM
GreenIguana
2nd Gear
I modded the crap out of my 2004 MCS and still not as 'sound' as the GP from the factory... If you like the looks of the wing - it alone can be $1000. + to add.
Only 2000 made of the GP's. 'nuf said.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:03 PM
teeots
1st Gear
thanks guys,

I am leaning toward the gp at this moment. I would quickly put the red mirror caps in the attic and stick some black ones on there. That would help the exterior look a lot in my opinion. I like the idea of the out of the box factory racer, and I'm sure I will make some upgrades. I really appreciate the input and will keep you posted.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:12 PM
teeots
1st Gear
The GP is awesome, but for me it might be a little over the top styling wise. Very cool though.

- andrew[/quote]

Agreed. the styling tests my limits but the nurburgring footage and other videos on youtube remind me that its the view from inside the car that is more important. Some black or gunmetal wheels and black mirror caps and Its pretty much solved for me.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:28 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Depends on the year of the JCW. If it's an 05 or 06, then I'd be tempted with the JCW as long as it's got all the various JCW options. But sometimes they were ordered with less than all. If the car has all the JCW options, then it has what the GP has and the only advantage the GP has is less weight which comes at the expense of some things I would want in my car like the sunroof, the better stereo and climate control, and yes, the back seat. (Looks are up to you.)

However, a true GP would be way cool to have.

So you know where I'm coming from, I have an 06 cabriolet with every possible JCW option (engine, LSD, brakes, suspension, exhaust, etc.). Plus all the carbon fiber bits, 18" JCW wheels, and the full aero package . Yes a GP is quicker. And yes a JCW hardtop is slightly quicker, but it's still damn quick and a great driver's car.

If the JCW is an 04 or earlier, I'd probably go with the GP.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:02 AM
teeots
1st Gear
2 more questions.

Re mileage: any 50kmi GP owners want to scare me away?

Re backseat: any JCW owners actually use the back seat for people?

Old 03-05-2011, 07:16 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The gas mileage won't be that much different between the two. Gas mileage will depend more on HOW you drive the car, rather than on which car you pick. For example, I get about 7 MPG on my 2006 JCW.....On the track. Otherwise the JCW and GP will be similar in gas mileage.

As for the rear seat: I took mine out. Hardly ever used it, and now I have a surprising amount of space in the boot.

If I had to do it over again, I would have bought the GP. I love my JCW, but the GP would have been a better platform to start with.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:22 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
thanks guys,

I am leaning toward the gp at this moment. I would quickly put the red mirror caps in the attic and stick some black ones on there. That would help the exterior look a lot in my opinion. I like the idea of the out of the box factory racer, and I'm sure I will make some upgrades. I really appreciate the input and will keep you posted.
if it was me I'd leave the red caps, it sets the GP apart

Old 03-05-2011, 07:45 AM
teeots
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cct1
The gas mileage won't be that much different between the two. Gas mileage will depend more on HOW you drive the car, rather than on which car you pick. For example, I get about 7 MPG on my 2006 JCW.....On the track. Otherwise the JCW and GP will be similar in gas mileage.

As for the rear seat: I took mine out. Hardly ever used it, and now I have a surprising amount of space in the boot.

If I had to do it over again, I would have bought the GP. I love my JCW, but the GP would have been a better platform to start with.
Thanks,

I meant the actual mileage of the car not the mpg.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:30 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have over 60k miles on my GP. The GPs have all the same problems of a 06 MCS.
The following issues occurred under warranty (< 50K).
- Replaced the engine mount twice, I now have the TSW mount.
- Replaced thermostat housing and gasket due to leak.
- Replaced front control arm bushings. Had to argue with MINI USA to get them replaced because they are considered normal wear-out items.
- Replaced clutch (not sure it really needed to be replaced and wish it wouldn't have been replaced).
- Replaced oil pan gasket due to leak.
- Various interior rattles
The following issue occurred just out of warranty:
- Paint coming off at edge of windshield cover, just behind hood.
The following problems appears to be unique to GPs:
- Noise at top of windshield gasket at about 120 MPH. I fixed mine by pushing on top center of windshield.
- The HVAC panel lights dim faster than other panel lights so at low illumination levels you cannot see the HVAC panel lights. Dealer could not fit.

I do miss the back seat sometimes. I did use the backseat sometimes in the 03 MCS. I would even use it for adults for short trips. However, I really enjoy the open back space of the GP. I also removed the large foam section under the flat floor and now store tools, etc under the flat floor. I get more use out of the flat floor than I did the back seats. You can load a lot of stuff in the back of the GP.

Last edited by quikmni; 03-05-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:43 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
50k+

Agreed. the styling tests my limits but the nurburgring footage and other videos on youtube remind me that its the view from inside the car that is more important. Some black or gunmetal wheels and black mirror caps and Its pretty much solved for me.
I have been toying with the idea of putting the JCW Carbon Fiber mirror caps, but the red caps have grown on me. I would think that most GP owners did the repairs that were needed under warranty but check their dealer history. 50k not really a big deal, that's over 6 years, so like 9k miles a year.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 PM
teeots
1st Gear
Hi All,

I ended up putting off my purchase a few months back, but have re-kindled the idea and am enjoying re-reading all of your responses. I found another reasonably priced gp with low mileage and am seriously considering it again.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:44 PM
ColinGreene
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would strongly encourage buying a Gp, its better set up for your uses, let us know!

Old 07-16-2011, 04:32 AM
teeots
1st Gear
thanks for the input. i am leaning towards the gp. i requested a purchase agreement form a dealer this morning and have my loan approved and down payment in hand. I just have a few more questions for the dealer regarding the car as its out of state and will be purchased sight unseen.

if anyone is in asheboro nc area and wants to take a peek at it for me, that would be appreciated.

thanks

Old 07-23-2011, 07:04 AM
teeots
1st Gear
working on a deal on a gp!

Old 07-23-2011, 09:38 AM
MotownMJ
Neutral
working on a deal on a gp!
Good luck-bought my GP a week ago.
I also have an EVO X MR (stage 1). After driving the GP back home and then some, I got back in the EVO...and it was amazing how quickly your perceptions change. The MINI GP is quick...the EVO is FAST.

But the MINI is more fun, just like the 85 MR2 I used to own or the ridiculously highly modded 1999 Miata I had. Not the fastest, but just plain fun.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still like to get some more ponies out of the GP, but you can still chirp the tires through the first few gears. Thinking about a short-shifter though (Craven) and I already ordered the VPC strut defenders and bar and the Craven under strut defenders as well.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Zippin Mellow Yellow
Neutral
I think I saw it at Transportation Network on Dixie Hwy a couple of weeks ago. It looked awesome from the road. They had it parked right out front. Didn't get a chance to take a close look at it. I told the wife earlier this week that someone had bought it. Good choice! That dealer always has unusual cars that are always in great condition. I've dealt with them over the years and they're ok. Enjoy your new ride!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GP or JCW?