GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Aux Audio Port

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 01:05 AM
MPowerMini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aux Audio Port

Why isn't there an aux port on the GP? Can one be installed easily?

Old 01-01-2010, 10:01 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by MPowerMini
Why isn't there an aux port on the GP?
To save weight!

The 1st gen MINI never came with aux port from the factory (except for the final years of the convertible). Audio is an afterthought for the GP -- no rear speakers or HK option. Yes, the aux port is easy to install. If your hand is not too large, you can even reach around and plug it in without removing the radio.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:47 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
To save weight!
The 1st gen MINI never came with aux port from the factory (except for the final years of the convertible). Audio is an afterthought for the GP -- no rear speakers or HK option. Yes, the aux port is easy to install. If your hand is not too large, you can even reach around and plug it in without removing the radio.
Yup that is how I installed mine

Old 01-02-2010, 10:17 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As stated, it is pretty easy to install. One end plugs into the back of the stereo and the aux jack installs wherever you want (that the cable will reach). The cable is pretty long so the jack location options are many. I have seen the jack installed in the glove box, rear of the center console tray, side of the center console, or in-between the front seats. The part costs about $40 and is available from aftermarket vendors, such as this link:

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...pod_mp3_hookup

It can be a little difficult to plug in the connector at the rear of the stereo, without removing the stereo, if you have never done it before. I removed the stereo the first time I installed the connector. Installing the aux input jack requires drilling a hole for the jack. Once installed the stereo is just set to AUX to use the new input for something like a MP3 player.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:26 PM
MPowerMini
1st Gear
how do you remove the radio. I use to know how to remove the head unit on all the mercedes because I did so much aftermarket work on my G-wagon but is there any trick with the mini?

Old 01-07-2010, 03:46 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Took me 15 min to install. Literally! You DO NOT need to pull the head out. Look at the directions to see where the plug goes, reach around the back of the stack to feel where the hole is and plug it in. That's one minute of the install. The other fourteen will be deciding where you want the other end to come out. I decided the easiest way was just to drill a hole in the plastic base piece under the toggles switches over the cubby. It flips down, making it easy to drill your holes, then install the other end of the cable. Might even take less than 15 min, but I'm kinda slow.