General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Such a shame...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 08:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Wow lots of r52s down there.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-18-2023, 09:53 AM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Received 847 Likes on 535 Posts
Yes! - I was a little surprised to see quite a few of them myself since early October. I've also documented 2wo more ( silver '05 & a tan '06), that I have yet to upload to my PC.
I am somewhat amazed how well the canvas tops have held up over time. They seem to have outlasted the car!

Old 01-09-2024, 03:29 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
After the Rain...

With severe weather sweeping across much of the nation; I think today, (1.9.2024), may go down in the books as one of the most miserable days, in forecast history.
I had expected it to be yet another wash-out day, stuck inside, as the clouds had opened up and dumped buckets of non-stop rain throughout most of the early morning into mid afternoon.
About 12:30pm I received a notification from a local salvage yard that an '03 "justa" had just landed the yard.
By 2pm the rain had finally subsided. I don't normally feel the urgency to rush out to a salvage yard unless it's a 1st gen R53. but I've made the mistake in the past by missing out on some great finds/upgrades off a once cared for R50.
It was worth it enough to take a quick drive out to see the remains.

Although, this once all lemon yellow R50 slicktop (w/yellow roof), had been repainted; I have to admit it's a very nice repaint.
Someone really loved this Mini. As you might agree from the photos below...

New 1piece upper black-out roof trim, side marker scuttles and led projector fog lamps....

The vacant back up or fog light had been replaced with a back-up cam as were the tail lights being opted for facelifts.
I also, did notice that the previous owner deleted the muffler and had the exhaust straight piped....I could only wonder if the exhaust manifold had been upgraded?
Nevertheless; I didn't think to look or take a photo.

It appears it may have had a bump to the front end (?). Noting the radiator was bowed but not necessarily the front bumper.
Nothing much in the way of performance upgrades under the hood (that I could notice) and below the chassis...
but the underside was extremely clean with no visible signs of oil leaks. Axle/CV boots, brakes were recent as well as new control arm bushings and lower engine mount.

As I might have figured - The previous owner was obviously an enthusiast who had a desire to update their '03 R50 interior with well appointed upgrades
from a facelift: Chorno gauges, head unit with amp, center armrest, backup camera, down tube cup holder, 3 spoke facelift steering wheel w/Union jack cover plates,
facelift shifter ****, new leather shifter & Ebrake boots, locking glovebox and the seats, albeit, non sport seemed to be in excellent condition for their age with no cracks,splits or even a tear!

I did manage to come away with a few odds & ends: Glovebox organizer and an Anthracite arm rest that's in great condition.
I will be replacing my silver trim armrest with this anthracite one to be congruous with the rest of my (anthracite) interior.

Not a Mini but - To come upon this gem was really a shame...

Although, I neglected to look at the year and model of this MG, I'm guessing this was once grandpa's project.

In absence of the rear trunk lid; I was surprised to find much of this car was complete as I feel it was totally worthy of restoring.
Had the convertible top not been left down in inclement weather ; other than that - Nothing but a leaf blower and a little elbow grease could do wonders.
Aside from the expected yellowed rear glass; even the canvas was in surprisingly good condition with nary a tear or crack!

Last edited by Here2Go; 01-10-2024 at 04:34 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
The following users liked this post:
Oldboy Speedwell (03-15-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 02:17 PM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
That yellow R50 was loved. I am sure that just a minor bump would have totaled it; thought the bumper cover doesn't look damaged, the AC condenser and radiator do look bent - those two things could have totaled the car. A shop would probably charge near the $2000 mark in parts/labor and that is what they are worth now.

If it was the transmission that went out, the cost of repair would certainly be more than the car was worth. That would be pushing $3000 in parts/labor. I had this issue several years back but repaired the Midlands 5 speed. Had I done a 6 speed swap, I'd probably still have my much loved Justa today. I still watch old videos of me driving it on track days. Absolutely loved the sound of the NA motor at WOT. The aFe intake and Megan Racing cat-back exhaust sounded so nice. Loud AF but sounded great!

All those old MG's are just begging to be someone's vintage race car. I wish I had the money and time to do something like that.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thinker2112:
Here2Go (01-10-2024), Oldboy Speedwell (03-15-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 04:15 PM
Jonny
5th Gear
Received 441 Likes on 325 Posts
Great thread. Keep up the good work.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jonny:
Here2Go (03-15-2024), Oldboy Speedwell (03-15-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Originally Posted by Thinker2112
That yellow R50 was loved. I am sure that just a minor bump would have totaled it; thought the bumper cover doesn't look damaged, the AC condenser and radiator do look bent - those two things could have totaled the car. A shop would probably charge near the $2000 mark in parts/labor and that is what they are worth now.
I agree.
Seeing that yellow R50 perched at the yard was a bit tough. Only to imagine how the previous owner might have felt as it was being hauled off for scrap. Unfortunately there were just too many good parts for my wallet to afford at the time I was there. Otherwise...

If it was the transmission that went out, the cost of repair would certainly be more than the car was worth. That would be pushing $3000 in parts/labor. I had this issue several years back but repaired the Midlands 5 speed. Had I done a 6 speed swap, I'd probably still have my much loved Justa today.
I hear ya.
I recently had to have the transmission replaced in my 04 R53 due to an improperly performed clutch replacement done a few years ago by an independant "BMW" garage. Having now had the trans replaced by a reputable MINI mechanic in tandem with a complete front/rear supension refresh, set me back more than the (blue book )value of the car. The guys that I work with all drive Fords/trucks and harbor a strong distain for European cars. They all thought I was insane. It goes without saying, (it should be pretty obvious by now); they've never driven a Mini. Needless to say there was no further need for discussion.
I still watch old videos of me driving it on track days. Absolutely loved the sound of the NA motor at WOT. The aFe intake and Megan Racing cat-back exhaust sounded so nice. Loud AF but sounded great!

All those old MG's are just begging to be someone's vintage race car. I wish I had the money and time to do something like that.
I agree. I can't hep but wonder if the owner of that MG had ever tried listing it for sale before calling a wrecker...?

I suppose I too am a litte overly sentimental. As I've also lamented having to (reluctantly) let things go in the past.

The following 2 users liked this post by Here2Go:
Oldboy Speedwell (03-15-2024), slofut (01-11-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 02:43 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Packed up and ready to go

...it's been in the yard since late October 2023.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:26 AM
slofut
1st Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Dang, all those good bonnets and I can't find one near me. And the TR6! Somebody should rescue that.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:27 PM
Onizukachan
4th Gear
Received 352 Likes on 222 Posts
I recall when you could get used roots chargers cheap that someone supercharged their tr6 with an Eaton off a third tbird SC, iirc. It was drafting thru one big SU6 carb.

parts used to be reasonable (and plentiful) for 60-70s Brit sports roadsters, up until the late 90s… today… not worth dealing with. R53s are effectively today where they were then, or jsut past the peak and sliding towards failure =junk without parts cars.

Old 02-06-2024, 07:04 PM
Onizukachan
4th Gear
Received 352 Likes on 222 Posts
Having raced a B in H stock, I can tell you they are lousy race cars, way way too heavy for the available power and total ***** suspension. leaf straight axle rear front kingpins and lever action shocks?
I mean they topped out at a power limited 80mph back in the day, mine would do 93 with a seriously cammed engine and high compression amd the 80s LE spoiler to cut down on drag and lift. But . I could outrun v6 Camaros on top end runs cause they had factory fuel cut at 85-87. (Back in the days of 55-60 mph interstate speed limits)

Amd they are absolute coffin rides when you stick a 302 ford and c4 in them. Ever light up the tires by accident at 65+ because you wanted to speed up to pass someone? Ugh. Only me and the boss were allowed to drive that bastards car and boss did not want to. He was married. So I got the absolute joy of test driving the son of a biscuit whenever we worked on it so it could go sit for 6-12 months before coming back again for something else cause by it being a Frankenstein and sitting around cause no one could actually drive the SOB that didn’t have F1/fighter pilot reflexes.

midgets however being much lighter still are semi competitive. Enough that a real good driver can outrun a stock 80s 90s civic on the slalom… so i don’t see them rusting away in yards.

like a lot of things, had them in their early post prime period, amd enjoyed them then but those rose tinted nostalgia glasses only pink things up so much!

The following 2 users liked this post by Onizukachan:
Oldboy Speedwell (03-15-2024), slofut (02-07-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 01:36 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 737 Likes on 521 Posts
I've been out of commission lately,
like literally...

...in the such-a-shame department hit the bullseye with unlikely bingo card jackpot of bilateral calcaneus fractures, yowza!

So broke both my heels by falling off a 10' ladder while working down in Pembroke Pines Florida which is close to Miami.

Big bummer because I cannot walk for a while and confined to a wheelchair.

Oddly enough,
an uplifting MINI-related story came from all the pain because I was admitted into the excellent Memorial Rehabilitation Institute for after-surgery therapy and had a room on the 5th floor where also lived a 2002 Cooper who had been repurposed for patients to practice entry/exit before being discharged and sent back to the real world.

Pretty dang cool and it was like some sorta cosmic serendipity for me too, just wild!

Instead of the scrap heap, this Justa is serving a higher purpose!

They had a framed picture across the hall detailing how it got to the 5th floor:

The following 3 users liked this post by Oldboy Speedwell:
ECSTuning (03-25-2024), Here2Go (03-15-2024), Soul Coughing (03-18-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 04:53 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Oh man - So sorry to hear about your (severe) injuries!!!
'been wondering where you've been. I'm sure I can speak for most how much we've missed your presence, insight, humor and wealth of contributions here on NAM.
I hope you make a swift and 100% recovery.
Any prognosis as to you ever being to operate a (clutch) manual again?

I personally, would have to say that your latest post regarding that 5th floor MINI; has got to be the best (hands down), in a long line of documenting "SAS" Minis.
Just really glad to see that little red 'justa' being refurbished to perceptively pristine condition and spared the fate at the jaws of a crusher.
Truly remarkable example of re-purposing rather than discarding.

Old 03-15-2024, 07:56 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear

Much appreciate the well wishes!

Was in ER and 10 days at hospital, then a further 14 days at rehab for physical therapy, now finally home, happily.

Sadly it was my clutch foot that took most impact, had to get ORIF surgery with screws & plate, now in the midst of working hard both physically and mentally to implement hopeful 100% recovery, will be able for partial weight bearing in 3 weeks.

I am confident I'll be back in the saddle and grindin' thru the gears soon enough!

And by golly I do so wanna walk again throughout the vast gravel boneyards too!

Here2Go (03-16-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 08:08 PM
Jonny
5th Gear
Received 441 Likes on 325 Posts
One of the worst and best posts on NAM. Good luck with the rehab my friend. I have no doubts you’ll be back in the driver seat and picking the yards this summer.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jonny:
Here2Go (03-16-2024), Oldboy Speedwell (03-16-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 10:58 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear

Thanks Jonny!

Snail mode sux,
eager to get back rabbit!

Brother-in-law gets goldstar hero status for flying down and driving my car back home, so grateful he volunteered for marathon rescue, 11.5 hour drive, he said he had a total blast and bonded with how immediate & responsive my R53 was and that was all big highway so only half-fun mode since no tight twisties in flat Florida for the most part altho there are actually some parts that do offer nice roads.

The following 2 users liked this post by Oldboy Speedwell:
Here2Go (03-16-2024), Soul Coughing (03-18-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 04:32 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
^^^ sounds very encouraging ^^^
While I agree that your brother-in-law is deserving of a gold medal for taking the time to reunite you with your Mini....
I can't help but think he got the better end of that deal
Although I can't say I miss much of FL (except for the gulf beaches), I do miss those long drives on those straight and flat roads.

Congrats for getting your Mini back home where it belongs. That was really cool for him to do that for you!

Old 03-16-2024, 05:15 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Living In Oblivion

In keeping with the current theme; I suppose it might be appropriate -
This may very well be the closest I will ever come to another "graveyard" in the foreseeable future....

By "graveyard" I'm referring to auto salvage yards.

Last week on way my to work in the morning, I decided to take a drive instead. A couple of hours later I came upon this quaint, little rural town about 100mi from the big city where I live(d). This town's infrastructure is barely 4mi in either direction nestled at the foot of the mountains, surrounded by wilderness and miles of winding roads that seem to lead to nowhere.

I did return to the city only to clear out my apartment of all the MIni parts in which I had pulled from the salvage yards over the last several years.
I'm glad I did. Not many Mini's driving around in these parts. The nearest Pull-A-Part/salvage yard(s) is now 90mi away from me. My favorite salvage yard for scoring some great Mini parts is now in excess of 135mi away.

Yep - All Mini parts within that wall of boxes. Other than clothes, a few computers and a modern stool (I designed & fabbed), is all that I own...

While checking out the local scenery (not much to see), I happened upon a little classic VW repair and restoration shop which looked more like a VW salvage yard than anything like a traditional business.
Before my Mini, I've been an aircooled enthusiast all my life and couldn't help but stop, chat with the owner and snap a few pics.

For a long time I did know and had planned on moving away from the city (or state) at some point. I really wanted to go out in style... I had made a few attempts to contact the owner of this extraordinary RV he had built; wondering if he might be willing to part with it...

I could definitely see myself living the nomadic life in this "thing" with my Mini in tow. Alas, the owner/creator of this beautiful beast never responded to my interest in buying it.

Having been a city dweller all my life - I can't say the country life is really my thing. But I left it all behind - I'm here now. With no regrets.

Without a doubt - I will most certainly miss my weekend salvage yard excursions though.

Old 03-17-2024, 06:00 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Oh man!

That Peterbilt (or whatever) Winnebago (or whatever) MadMax hybrid touring beast is AWESOME! I see why you expressed interest in it.

Always love seeing old holdouts from a bygone era and the VW people stay hardcore, such the cool patina.

Must admit that the Ford delivery truck/van yanks my chain because I've always been drawn to them.

Looks like you may have moved up close to me, PM sent.

Here2Go (03-17-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 12:21 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
Oh man!

That Peterbilt (or whatever) Winnebago (or whatever) MadMax hybrid touring beast is AWESOME! I see why you expressed interest in it.
Thanks for the kindred affirmation. If you would have seen some of the elaborate "themed rides" I'd built in my youth you can imagine -"That thing" is a definite A+ in my cool book.
I just wish I could have at least met the "artist" while I lived there.

Always love seeing old holdouts from a bygone era and the VW people stay hardcore, such the cool patina.

Must admit that the Ford delivery truck/van yanks my chain because I've always been drawn to them.
I agree! - I am constantly delighted everytime I see any old classic make or model still rolling down the road out here. Whether Au-natural or completely restored.

Looks like you may have moved up close to me, PM sent.
PM - back at ya!

Oldboy Speedwell (03-17-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 01:11 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
I kinda suspected I wouldn't come across too many Mini's in these parts. Let alone any salvage yards out here (go figure?).
However there is no shortage of what one might come across rippin' through these mountainous roads...

Last edited by Here2Go; 03-21-2024 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:40 AM
slofut
1st Gear
H2G, are you near Braselton? You know what's in Braselton?
https://www.roadatlanta.com/hsr-mitty
My favorite place in the world...

Old 03-26-2024, 08:51 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
I've been out of commission lately,
like literally...

...in the such-a-shame department hit the bullseye with unlikely bingo card jackpot of bilateral calcaneus fractures, yowza!

So broke both my heels by falling off a 10' ladder while working down in Pembroke Pines Florida which is close to Miami.

Big bummer because I cannot walk for a while and confined to a wheelchair.

Oddly enough,
an uplifting MINI-related story came from all the pain because I was admitted into the excellent Memorial Rehabilitation Institute for after-surgery therapy and had a room on the 5th floor where also lived a 2002 Cooper who had been repurposed for patients to practice entry/exit before being discharged and sent back to the real world.

Pretty dang cool and it was like some sorta cosmic serendipity for me too, just wild!

Instead of the scrap heap, this Justa is serving a higher purpose!

They had a framed picture across the hall detailing how it got to the 5th floor:

Wow!

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-26-2024, 02:38 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Originally Posted by slofut
H2G, are you near Braselton? You know what's in Braselton?
https://www.roadatlanta.com/hsr-mitty....
Oh so that's "Road Atlanta"? - Never been there. Never been to Braselton either.
Originally Posted by slofut
My favorite place in the world...
- I can see why!
I'm about 78mi slightly NW. I'm not one for crowds or race events but I would love to see a gathering of vintage classics someday.
Maybe some day I'll head out that way just to have the experience.
I've also heard that occasionally, there is a group of Mini owners up here that gather on any given Sunday and go for an all MINI cat'n'mouse run through the mountains.
I have only seen just a few Mini's out here. Surprisingly most if not all were 1st gens! I think I would most likely be encouraged to join in if I am ever fortunate to come across them one day.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:34 AM
slofut
1st Gear
H2, you would love the Mitty event, it’s the last weekend in April, very laid back and easy to keep to yourself. I like to rent a golf cart, you have free run of the track, camp out on the infield if you want, and can visit the paddock and see the guys working on their Ferraris jags and anything else you can imagine. Everyone is always friendly. I’ve been going to this event since 1976. I love to watch the original minis passing cobras and jags, it’s a hoot!