General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are these forums so dead compared to last time I owned a MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 06:49 AM
gobble
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
Regarding service manuals, is the Mini shop manual available as a download somewhere? I have the full 3,000 page service manual for my 2013 Ferrari and it was as simple as someone having a link to a google drive site.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:54 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

No download but complete manual. Use it constantly and includes procedures. Very complete.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:03 AM
gobble
3rd Gear
That's awesome. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2019, 07:54 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Good thread. Good insights, IMHO.

I would add that the explosive growth of on-line videogaming has captured the screen time of, literally, millions and millions of younger people. (And maybe older people too).

We used to be in the garage or shop tinkering. Now they're on the couch clicking away with headphones and microphones on. It's a different world.

And, as a Gen 3 MINI driver, I agree that the cars have "evolved." I was shopping for a BMW when I ended up joining the MINI world. My name is 2017All4,and I guess I'm the new target demographic, at age 66

Old 06-14-2019, 08:11 AM
gobble
3rd Gear
Well I just bought a 2013 JCW car for my 15 1/2 year old son's first car that will double as my track car. He's going to spend time tinkering with it whether he likes it or not. If I had that when I was his age it's all I'd be thinking about...

The following 2 users liked this post by gobble:
Andy_S (06-14-2019), squawSkiBum (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 12:43 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
If you've really been around for the long haul, you'll remember a little forum called CooperSpeed that a buddy of mine and I ran for a bit.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:01 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
I remember that, i remember when roadfly was the thing and NAM did not exist. MINI owners were in a subforum of BMW on roadfly. This was before they even took delivery of the cars back in aug 2002. I guess you could call them waitlist people.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
d2mini (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 02:09 PM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SFMCS
I was talking to the Sales/Finance Manager a few months ago about trade in/ resale values. He lamented that the whole industry has changed and leasing is now the main focus of auto manufacturers. They make more money and thus are trying to appeal to the next generation of drivers. The result is 3 year lease term and warranty. The turned in car sale is not only gravy to them, but they get money from the service on new buyer. Things change. If I was younger and wanted to find a long term investment, it would be an aftermarket battery company retrofitting cells for EVs.
Even that may soon end. With the advent of self driving vehicles, transportation may become a subscription service. The model is called "Car as a Service", abbreviated "CaaS". Basically, you will order an Uber, it comes to your door and takes you to your destination. No maintenance, no insurance, no ownership. When you look at the costs of running a vehicle for the non-enthusiast who cannot do any DIY, it would make sense for the majority of people to go this route. Plus, without the cost of a human driver, the cost of the service will become cheaper than it is now. Self driving vehicles also present another interesting issue if you do choose to own a vehicle and that is one of safety and how it relates to insurance. Once they get the system worked out and it has a far lower cost to the insurance companies, you could be priced out of the insurance market as they try to force everyone into self driving cars for cost control.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:33 PM
Duc OT
1st Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniKar
I think it all comes down to time.
None of us have enough time because we are all so busy.
So, make a change, get up early on the weekend and take your Mini
out for a nice drive
When you get home, post on NAM where you went and if you took some
photos post those too.

Lets start a new trend, the early morning riders, and enjoy that Mini while we still can.
This right here! I am actually listening to "200 Miles Before Breakfast" podcast right now. It embodies the art of the one day road trip. I going to head out tomorrow before day break. Probably head up to Los Alamos, NM for coffee. Will post up a few pics in the Travel Stories sub-forum. Maybe others can do likewise.

Drive more...surf less!

Old 06-14-2019, 07:59 PM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
Good idea! I took mine out tonight and put about 80 miles on it just to relax and am planning a junkyard roadtrip tomorrow. I found a junkyard with 3 R50 and R53 MINIs in it and want to take a look. It will probably be around 200 miles total. I was also thinking about doing a segment on my YouTube channel where I do a small roadtrip in my MINI every weekend and see something different, but am not sure if there would be enough viewership to be worth the effort.

Duc OT (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 05:26 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Duc OT,
Went through Los Alamos Tuesday morning on the way to Jemez Springs for the day/night. Past LA, the fire remains were concerning but the road was great. Hooked back around on 550 and then up I 25 the next morning, about 180 miles round trip. The MINIs out East may have the dragon, but that drive on 4 is certainly the Lizard.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:32 AM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
I started a thread in road trips for mini MINI road trips, but it said it needs approval from a moderator.

Last edited by Blue R50; 06-17-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:37 AM
vetsvette
Received 452 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue R50
I started a these in road trips for mini MINI road trips, but it said it needs approval from a moderator.
Taken care of.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:45 AM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
As a Millenial, and owner of an R53 for almost 13 years, I grew up with Forums from this place, and also video game related forums, of which I still check out from time to time. And as an owner of a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, I am also a member of the Cherokee forums.

Forums are definitely not as popular, especially those who are younger than myself, but there is still a place for them. Like others have said, the DIY crowd have found forums to be quite useful over the years, but it would appear that because most folks have smartphones, I still prefer to visit forums on a desktop/laptop simply because of the interface. I know most forums have adapted to mobile devices, but they just don't compare to a normal setup. Real estate is the biggest thing, and smart devices just cannot compare unless you have a much larger tablet.

I've been checking out NAM a bit more over the last couple weeks, mostly because I will be doing some work on Egan in the coming weeks, and months this summer with suspension, and supercharger service, so I'm taking in as much info as I can before I tackle it. I also like just commenting on some threads in the process. Feels like revisiting old friends...even though I have never met any one of you.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:24 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Snaps
I still prefer to visit forums on a desktop/laptop simply because of the interface. I know most forums have adapted to mobile devices, but they just don't compare to a normal setup. Real estate is the biggest thing, and smart devices just cannot compare unless you have a much larger tablet.
Maybe there is a chicken and egg problem here. Forums aren't popular on mobile devices but it's not because of the content. It's because the mobile forum sites and apps just don't give a very good experience.

Over the years I've shifted from a desktop Reddit user to an almost 100% mobile user. Why? The third party apps, such as Apollo, give a truly excellent experience. Even Reddit's own app and mobile site are good.

Contrast to the Internet Brands sites (this is one of them) which all share the same terrible mobile app (which I'm using now!) and half baked mobile views. The owners of the forums neither enable third party developers to make great apps to access them nor do they make a great experience themselves.

I'm not unsympathetic to the challenge of paying for development on ad revenue. But Reddit apps such as Apollo, Alien Blue and Narwhal were all created by solo developers in their part time. Great experiences can be made without a huge team. Internet Brands just doesn't seem interested.

When IB forums like NAM die, it won't be because forums are inherently poor or because of lack of users. It will be because they didn't adapt to the times.

When, not if. I love NAM but the writing is on the wall. Like Usenet before it, it may continue on in zombie form but is not likely to regain living vitality. 😔

Snaps (06-16-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 12:36 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 737 Likes on 521 Posts

Being the grumpy ol' stubborn curmudgeon that I am (born 1970), I resisted smartphones for a very long time and relied upon a flip-phone until it finally died just last year.

I made the leap and got myself a damn smartphone, a Moto z3, and I've surprisingly adapted to it and find it to be very useful.

When viewing NAM it usually defaults to "app view" or whatever but I don't like that and have to scroll over for "view full site" so I see exactly what I see when in PC mode, but I'm not very fond of actually posting from my phone because the text interface is still awkward to me and I haven't enabled voice command.

Massage the message of the medium.

Well done or rare.

Raw.

Eat at Joe's.

Et cet Era

Old 06-15-2019, 06:02 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Perhaps, but nature has a way of eliminating the distracted (staring at something too long) and not having situational awareness. Before, it was the sabre tooth tiger lurking by you. As evidenced today, it is staring at one's phone crossing a street, or texting while driving...how many stories of a driver, dead in a demolished car, with a SMART phone still in hand?

Old 06-17-2019, 01:49 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
When I was new to Mini in 2007 I was on NAM a lot to learn about the car and what people did to mod them. The when the F56 came out I got on more to hear how people like them (but bought an R58!). Back then I was big on 2 Blackberry forums, and an AudioVideo forum for stuff like calibrating HDTVs too. And a local newspaper forum. I think forums like this are somewhat dated, but this is the only one I'm on now. And I never used it on my smartphone (or any forum). But I gotta admit I do participate on a couple of Facebook groups/forums and I only do that on my phone, so maybe whomever posted that revelation has a point.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 06-17-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:45 AM
Cmessmore
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
I think many new buyers are not enthusiasts, like in the 2000's. Gen 1 Minis were enthusiasts cars, newer Minis are being geared for the larger car market. BMW says it is what people want these days! I really think it is so they can command a larger price! Make it bigger and they will pay! (in America). They forget there is a calling for street go-karts! (and they are now building a tiny BMW!
Remember when Mini drivers would wave, when other Mini Coopers drove by? Now you hardly ever see it, but I drive a first gen and I do get waves occasionally, to this day! It is a changing of the times, I guess!
Lets not forget the Facebook, Instagram and other non forum friendly media sources of the new days!
I guess I am just too old world to change!!!
I just had this conversation with a young man @ Great Clips ! He said when he bought his Mini, he kept waving but no one waved back, and he was bummed. I promised him I’d wave ! I think it should be a rule for buying a Mini..

Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 737 Likes on 521 Posts

I'm a waver!

Snaps (06-23-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 07:30 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-19-2019, 07:55 AM
DJinAC
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I wave as well. I figure if the jeeps can do it why can't we?

Old 06-19-2019, 09:54 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by gobble
Well I just bought a 2013 JCW car for my 15 1/2 year old son's first car that will double as my track car. He's going to spend time tinkering with it whether he likes it or not. If I had that when I was his age it's all I'd be thinking about...
Surely I am not the only one that sees the concern with this logic!

Either you have an incredibly responsible son or you should have bought two cars.

vetsvette (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:04 AM
gobble
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miniCPA
Surely I am not the only one that sees the concern with this logic!

Either you have an incredibly responsible son or you should have bought two cars.
Would you let your kids drive a base model Mini? I'm basically having a zero boost tune done for him and a big boost tune done for my track days, will be switchable.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:00 AM
vetsvette
Received 452 Likes on 344 Posts
And kids are in general computer illiterate, right? Ha!
Man Plans, and God Laughs.”

Quick Reply: Why are these forums so dead compared to last time I owned a MINI?