General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate screws

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 07:54 PM
ooglyboogly
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front license plate screws

I recently bought a '16 Cooper without a front license plate holder. I bought one and when installing it the screws stripped in the plastic bumber before they even began to feel snug. So I bought some thicker screws, and they did the same thing. It's as if the plastic is extremely soft and no screw will get any bite. is there a fastener people have used here that's effective? I'm thinking along the lines of an expanding anchor like one would use in drywall, only shorter.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:07 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Double sided 3M heavy duty tape and maybe try that anchor. I seen some guys just get rid of it and fix the bumper holes and go with a tow hook plate mount:

You can build your own here.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...AAAAAAAAYBAgID

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-11-2019, 04:38 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
On my son's Subaru, I used stainless bolts and nuts with fender washers on the backside. It's very secure. Stainless costs a little more but I hate rusty license plate screws.