General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINI Forum Wars

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 03:51 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Apparently not.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:53 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
What is the forum's name????????

I am interested in any MINI Forum there is as unlike FB, the information is so much easier to pull back up.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:04 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by ammodave
Are we allowed to mention this forum https://www.*********************/fo...rough-r61.557/ now?
Working on it.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:20 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Do not believe that is a Motoring Alliance thread as I tried the input by hand and went to the site but the thread was not there.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:51 AM
MCS02
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
I want to thank WnW for his work to improve our relationship. I also want to think IB for ending the ban on MA.

The following 2 users liked this post by MCS02:
Derek86 (05-21-2018), vetsvette (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 08:51 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
I saw the Miata online community fracture and divide up multiple times. I think it is inevitable because the only common interest for these forums is the cars. Even that is superficial at best. There are lots of MINI people that I have zero common interest with, even when it comes to the brand. I'm assuming similar circumstances were probably at play here beyond IB purchasing/owning the forum.

Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
In days past, long before some of us here now were around the MINI scene, there was fracture in the MINI Cooper forum world. This forum that many of us call NAM was joined by Motoring Alliance (MA) when one of the NAM Admins at the time created his own site. It did get ugly and there was allot of issues here with posts being deleted, threads being closed and many that had migrated to Motoring Alliance being banned here. The Admins/Mods at the time that were all volunteers put blocks in place so no links to Motoring Alliance dot com could be seen.
Sounds like high school.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Do we remove the Motoring Alliance block removed? Are there NAM members that still harbor grudges from years past?
Visit the sites you like, don't visit the sites you don't like. I would seriously hope people have better things to do with their time than have long standing grudges over the internet. If they do, I'm feel bad for them.

Thank you for your work, WnW.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:33 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Derek86
I saw the Miata online community fracture and divide up multiple times. I think it is inevitable because the only common interest for these forums is the cars. Even that is superficial at best. There are lots of MINI people that I have zero common interest with, even when it comes to the brand. I'm assuming similar circumstances were probably at play here beyond IB purchasing/owning the forum.

Sounds like high school.

Visit the sites you like, don't visit the sites you don't like. I would seriously hope people have better things to do with their time than have long standing grudges over the internet. If they do, I'm feel bad for them.

Thank you for your work, WnW.

Two pearls of wisdom.

Hopefully those that wish to flame/bash another will keep their childish drivel on FB.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:37 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
And yes, the ban is gone.

www.motoringalliance.com

If you have never visited, take a look.

The following 3 users liked this post by Whine not Walnuts:
BbyDenns (05-21-2018), bratling (05-21-2018), Derek86 (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 09:51 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
What is the motivation for this push? Having two sites doing basically the same thing makes it more time consuming to get at information or have a proper conversation. When I used to look in on other sites I found that the same people would just post up the same questions on multiple sites and hope for better answers from essentially the same audience.

Makes no sense IMO. Unless IB intends to scoop up the MA site at some point. There are just so many MINI eyeballs reading and posting.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:54 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I can tell you linking to info on another forum is a pain and I dont' want to plagiarize something, fixing that gets my vote

Old 05-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
What is the motivation for this push? Having two sites doing basically the same thing makes it more time consuming to get at information or have a proper conversation. When I used to look in on other sites I found that the same people would just post up the same questions on multiple sites and hope for better answers from essentially the same audience.

Makes no sense IMO. Unless IB intends to scoop up the MA site at some point. There are just so many MINI eyeballs reading and posting.
IB was not involved in any of this other than when I asked them to remove the block as I did not have the "keys" to that area. I recognize that there is this preconception that IB tells their Forums what they must do, they don't. I touched on this subject in my original post where I said "From older posts it appears that a "little guy vs the big bad corporation thing" was an underlying theme. I too would have thought the same thing and even after becoming a Moderator here little over a year ago, I continued to think something similar, that "IB called all the shots." Why would a big company allow a bunch of volunteers with no stake in the "business" run the thing? Simple, because they realized that services provided by volunteers that do so because they really care are hard to duplicate even when paying somebody. Yes, IB keeps the servers going but the Members run the place. This was very evident when IB asked for the second time that the Forum open up the Off Topic area to politics and religion. I started a poll type thread and it was evident that the members here did not want this change. So much for IB calling the shots."

At the end of the day it is what the noted scholar Derek86 stated above, "Visit the sites you like, don't visit the sites you don't like."

The difference now is that Motoring Alliance is not being censored here anymore.

Last edited by Whine not Walnuts; 05-21-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: some spelling corrections
The following 3 users liked this post by Whine not Walnuts:
BbyDenns (05-21-2018), Dave.O (05-21-2018), vetsvette (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM
MCS02
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
I have posted a thread on our side explaining how this came about. It is in a thread called The end to a long War here is the link.

https://www.motoringalliance.com/thr...ong-war.30643/

I would like to encourage all of you to come take a look, all comments are welcome. Each forum has its own personality, this is just a way of broadening the community a little more. I think it will be good for all of us. I am sure here like on MA there are a lot of members that were not here when the split happened. It was not pretty and I don't want to rehash it, it is over. But there are members on both sides that remember those events. Some may still have had bad memories of the events. Today we start to put it behind us.
I do look forwarded to posting here and meeting new people that have love for the Mini brand. MA will stay my home as I am sure here will stay your home but it will be nice to visit each other, have fun and maybe learn more. That after all is what it is about. Communities built around the Mini brand.
Thanks agin WnW one crazy Admin!

The following 3 users liked this post by MCS02:
BbyDenns (05-21-2018), vetsvette (05-21-2018), Whine not Walnuts (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
Hotdamn!

This is friggin' cool in the fact that I've rarely seen it happen --- I'm a noob here so have no idea of past "transgressions" or whatever, but have seen the same thing happen regarding factional splitting and rampant banning with other forums, oddly enough on pipesmoker forums who're usually characterized as genteel literary types but man can some of the "debates" unleash a beast of mad fury LOL...

...great to see this happening as in general it seems that much forum traffic all across the different boards (regardless of subject) has been dropping due to other "more convenient" forms of social media like Facebook etc and it's a shame methinks because rarely do such platforms go in-depth with such the finer details, apparently people are lazy and prefer hitting "like" buttons as opposed to generating any actual dialogue, and it burns my britches how superficial all that retweet crap is...

...so,
jollygood show fellas!

MINI's united!

Last edited by Oldboy Speedwell; 05-21-2018 at 11:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 12:07 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Funny .... I'm a member over at MA and completely forgot I joined.

There are posts on their 3rd generation section that haven't had replies in 35-40 weeks that are on the first page!

yeah ............. I like it here, thanks

Last edited by Mini_Vinnie; 05-21-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:33 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
...great to see this happening as in general it seems that much forum traffic all across the different boards (regardless of subject) has been dropping due to other "more convenient" forms of social media like Facebook etc and it's a shame methinks because rarely do such platforms go in-depth with such the finer details, apparently people are lazy and prefer hitting "like" buttons as opposed to generating any actual dialogue, and it burns my britches how superficial all that retweet crap is...
bingo, facebook sucks the groups are all the same questions all the time, and when you do get a rare technical discussion it gets buried and you can never find it again. I've gotten car setup advice on one of the r53 fb groups and I wanted to go post how it went at the track, I gave up trying to find the post it was under a thousand what spark plug do I run posts. Facebook is great for sharing a picture or some fleeting moment crap but horrible for actually having a conversation that is more than skin deep

Old 05-21-2018, 01:07 PM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
The MINI community needs regular internet sites like NAM and M/A if, for nothing else, the preservation and dissemination of information. The libraries on each of this sites contains a wealth of information that is not available elsewhere. It gives people the ability to get different viewpoints to the same problem which may be a helpful solution. Social media sites like F/B and the others are great for personal interaction but they lack the depth necessary to be a valued resource.

The following 3 users liked this post by Goldsmithy:
bratling (05-21-2018), ECSTuning (03-04-2019), Whine not Walnuts (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
The MINI Alliance - The Repository of anything MINI

Charter Members:

Motoring Alliance
North American Motoriing

The following 2 users liked this post by Whine not Walnuts:
Sully. (06-05-2018), vetsvette (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 02:30 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
For those of you new to the MA thing, they do have some differences. The rules here do not allow posting of cars exceeding speed limits in videos whereas MA does. We cannot say **** whereas they can.

BUT the most important thing is "motor on" here is one thing and over there a completely different thing . . . . . .

Old 05-21-2018, 03:12 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
And yes, the ban is gone.

www.motoringalliance.com

If you have never visited, take a look.
w00t! Thank you. Bans on mentioning or linking to other forums, unless those forums are actively criminal, is foolish at best.

I hope that whether it's Motoring Underground, minif56.com, MA or any other forum, it will not be blocked because of the bad behavior of a few blockheads.

(Also, I'll echo the low quality of the Facebook MINI groups. Reddit's /r/mini isn't a lot better.)

Last edited by bratling; 05-21-2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: chatter
Old 05-21-2018, 03:35 PM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I became a member here back in 2007 when I bought my first MC......Have been away for a few years until very recently when I got the “MINI itch” again and decided to buy a project car to tinker with. All of the archived content here on NAM (how-to’s, diy, etc) has been very valuable....so thankful that it remains here!

That said, I’ve noticed that the traffic level both here and at Motoring Alliance seems to be significantly less than it used to be. I’d attribute this to folks shifting to FB and other formats, but I’ve subscribed to a truck (Tacoma) forum for a couple of years now that is still quite active....so there goes that theory. Has there been some cultural shift in the MINI community in the last few years causing this?

Sorry....a bit off topic.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:11 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Yes I made a comment recently that the golden age of car forums was back 10 years ago and FB was the main reason. This fact was the main reason why I started this push to get forums to work together instead of apart.

Our numbers here have been actually building over the past year and half.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:17 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I think that the reduction of traffic on MINI forums is that MINI's advertising doesn't promote the sportiness and weirdness of these little cars anymore. New MINI commercials are boring and they used to be funny.

Dave.O (05-24-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 05:36 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
I would rather spend some time at Motoring Alliance than on some FB page. Actually had fun the other night bouncing from NAM to MA as with both forums there was good stream of posts coming in.
Facebook is just a drain on almost everything is touches. I do find it useful for finding events but that's about it.

At the end of the day it is what the noted scholar Derek86 stated above, "Visit the sites you like, don't visit the sites you don't like."
That might be a new first for me, most of the time my opinions are not popular with other people.

Yes I made a comment recently that the golden age of car forums was back 10 years ago and FB was the main reason. This fact was the main reason why I started this push to get forums to work together instead of apart.

Our numbers here have been actually building over the past year and half.
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I think that the reduction of traffic on MINI forums is that MINI's advertising doesn't promote the sportiness and weirdness of these little cars anymore. New MINI commercials are boring and they used to be funny.
The first generation cars are now cheap enough that they are being purchased by the <25 car crowd. They are being worked on in driveways and modified instead of fixed by the dealer. Since Facebook is not useful, the forums will see an increase in activity from that crowd looking for information about fixing and modifying their cars.

Just be ready for their inability to construct sentences and convey understanding in their writing.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:05 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
So do I add the NAM Scholar to your title? Something like Lenny Poffo the Genius back in the golden days of WWF.

Many do not know he was brother to the Randy Macho Man Savage.

Dave.O (05-24-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 08:35 AM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
So do I add the NAM Scholar to your title? Something like Lenny Poffo the Genius back in the golden days of WWF.

Many do not know he was brother to the Randy Macho Man Savage.
Ah yes, Leaping Lanny Poffo, AKA The Poet Laureate of the WWF, AKA The Genius, one of my favorites.

Quick Reply: MINI Forum Wars