General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 07:22 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Exhaust thoughts

I am building a custom exhaust on my Countryman All4. Just behind the rear axles, the exhaust splits with a Y into 2 separate mufflers. My question is, after the Y, do the pipes leading to the left and right mufflers need to be equal length? I know when pipes are converging equal length pipes make a difference for scavenging and such but I don't believe that after they separate it is necessary? I feel it may just change the exhaust note a bit as the pulses will be timed differently exiting the pipes so it might have that Subaru type of burble. Your thoughts?

Old 10-03-2017, 09:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Might want to use the milltek exhaust as a guide. They pretty much come back to the barrel at the same angle then go into is side the same.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-milltek-sport-parts/turbo-back-exhaust-system/ssxm400~mll/

This is the underside of the CM stock exhaust.

Doing the different lengths might change the tone a bit and make it two-toned.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172