General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lease & Buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 01:39 PM
booyun
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lease & Buy

Hi all,

First of all, its been a long time since I've been on these boards. Former '08 MCS owner who lost his MINI about 3 years later (considered a lemon).

Anyways, I'm back at it and am currently looking at the 2018 Countryman JCW. Given my past experience I'm a little hesitant as I don't want to go through that experience again, but really really really want to get back into a MINI. I was planning to go all in on the JCW countryman, but now I'm wondering, would it make sense to just lease it for 3 years (make sure no major issues) and then purchase at the end of the lease? Has anyone done that and if so, do you end up paying more than what you would have had you just purchased from the very beginning?

Thanks all in advance and glad to be back on these boards.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Bucsdg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone's situation is different. I seriously considered leasing this time as I had maintenance issues with my last 2009 JCW 2-door Hardtop.
There are restrictions on the miles you can drive each year.
Check out the Lease vs buy calculators on the web. I did that and mine came out that lease is better if you keep only 3 years, pretty even if you keep 5 years and purchase is better if you keep over 5 years.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:21 PM
booyun
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting that we both had '08/'09 2 door hardtops that had issues.

So did you end up financing? I looked at lease and even the MINI select program and i think i will just end up financing (have never leased a car in my life). My HOPE is to keep this car 5+ (hopefully 10+) years!!

Old 10-09-2017, 06:51 AM
nqr31467
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome back to NAM. FWIW...My wife and I have owned a 1st Gen Justa, 2 2nd Gen CM, a 3rd Gen Vert, 3rd Gen HT justa and a 3rd Gen JCW HT. They have all been very reliable minimal issues if any. I would say buy if you are going to keep for at least 5 years.