General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Clubman review/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 02:01 AM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
2017 Clubman review/opinions

I turned my 2011 MCS into the dealer the other day to get my last checkover before my aftermarket warranty expires. I was looking to get an S model as a loaner car, and actually got a 2017 Clubman S with only 4k on the clock to drive for a while. Nice car! I honestly wish it were smaller, and still had the quirky MINI stuff, like the big center-mounted speedo and the tach right on the steering wheel in front of my face. I am still reaching for the window switches on the lower center console area. Those are on the door now. As well as the door locks. I don't like the move to "normal". Otherwise, the 2.0 Bimmer Twin-Power Turbo pulls well, and I like the "growly" sound it makes when you get on it. Not sure if that is piped in, but it sounds OK. Still has pops and burbles in Sport mode. Still handles like a MINI, even though it has grown some. It does feel a bit top-heavy. If I were to need a bigger car in the future, this would be a good choice. That being said, I cannot wait to get my MINI back again! Just so that I can pull a dipstick out and check my oil level. As a mechanic for life, I just don't trust that oil level checking system. I get what it does, and I just KNOW that a failure will cause HUGE engine failure. Do I trust the computer to "check" my oil level? Nope. Never will. Just give me the option of an actual dipstick, please! I am really liking a lot about it, but the MINI "feeling" seems to have gone away. I can't wait to get my 2011 MCS back again, even though it's been a nice ride in the 2017. MINI has gone from quirky to mainstream, and I am not sure that was a good idea. Oh well, everything changes. Not always for the better.

Motor On.
Chris

Old 08-25-2017, 06:19 PM
SirCosmoSterling
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The Portland Oregon dealer loaned me a new Clubman S at no cost while my 09 Clubman S was getting some repairs. I live 120 miles from the dealer so I had a good run with the car. My reaction to starting out in it was the opposite of my initial reaction to my Mini. I actually said out loud ""Where did the fun go?" It's now a nice 5-passenger sedan that drives much the same as my 2015 Subaru Legacy. It is very likable as a car of its class, but not fun. A couple things I did really like are that it got 43 mpg on the freeway from Portland to Eugene (mine got 36 mpg) and a feature where the engine shuts off when stopped at traffic lights. The car's power curve seemed smoother and it was less noisy.

To me it is just a mid-sized sedan for people who like a Mini's style. This probably means many more will be sold because most people don't care much about sporty driving. I now love my Mini even more. It's the right one for me.