Go Back  North American Motoring > MINIs in General > General MINI Talk
JCW Pro F56 / F57 Coilovers, etc. >

JCW Pro F56 / F57 Coilovers, etc.

General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 08-13-2017, 02:45 PM
contented
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi all. Several questions.

I've got a 2017 MC S convertible (F57). Love the car. Just replaced the 16" run flats with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. What a difference. Next step - adding JCW Pro or equivalent coil-overs. My question, do JCW Pro coilers for the F56 fit the F57 (convertible)? I'm having difficulty determining the answer on various vendor websites.

Question #2 - factory rear sway bar measures.84" or 21.3mm. Does anyone know if this bar is hollow or solid? Would replacing it with a larger one noticeably improve handling?

Any thoughts / comments would be much appreciated.

Contented

Old 08-15-2017, 11:26 AM
bratling
6th Gear
Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by contented
Hi all. Several questions.

I've got a 2017 MC S convertible (F57). Love the car. Just replaced the 16" run flats with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. What a difference. Next step - adding JCW Pro or equivalent coil-overs. My question, do JCW Pro coilers for the F56 fit the F57 (convertible)? I'm having difficulty determining the answer on various vendor websites.
They fit. If you hit realOEM.com and check the parts cross-model usage you'll find that MINI uses the same springs and shocks for the 3-door, 5-door and convertible. (Unless my memory is very faulty.)

Originally Posted by contented
Question #2 - factory rear sway bar measures.84" or 21.3mm. Does anyone know if this bar is hollow or solid? Would replacing it with a larger one noticeably improve handling?
Yes, VERY noticeably. I installed JCW coilovers and there was a night and day difference in the handling. It went from "BMW refined and comfortable" to "this is what a Mini should be!"

A few weeks later I scored a great deal on NM Engineering's smaller rear sway bar (22mm, if memory serves) and it took the handling from "this is what a Mini should be" to "oh my god this is a goddamned Mini!".

I realize that's a very vague description. The JCW coilovers lowered the COG, reduced body roll and stiffened up the feel, while still having a pleasant ride and dealing well with road ripples. Cornering was flatter and felt more precise, without the extreme yawing of the factory set up. (Which itself was much better controlled than my R55's stock suspension, so let's give the MINI/BMW engineers kudos for improvement!)

Adding the rear sway bar after that finished the job; cornering is flatter still with very very well controlled body roll.

I feel I have the best of all worlds — great handling, full suspension travel, and low cost. Yes, incremental improvements are available as you go to more expensive shocks but one very quickly reaches a point of diminishing returns that are only worth pursuing if you are racing or just have money to burn.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:41 AM
contented
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
bratling, thanks SO much for the helpful information. My path is now charted. :-)

contented

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: