General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mini S Convertible electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:14 AM
flyguy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mini S Convertible electrical problems

So PLEASE help if you can. I have this 2006 S Model convertible and I had a problem with my power steering unit. My mechanic fix that problem but as soon as I get the car home I noticed now my air conditioner would not click on. So I call him and notified him he was going to see if he might have knocked off a wire. Well since then my wife took the car to a car wash to clean it. After that huge problems. The radio turns on and off by its self. Now the radio can be turned on with no key in the ignition. The wipers was turning on and off on their own. the entire air conditioning and heating panel wont turn on it just flickers with a hope of life. The seat belt lights on even tho all the seat belts are fasten. The windshield wash light flashes on and off even tho there is fluid in there.

I feel I am so screwed PLEASE HELP :(

Old 07-27-2017, 10:38 AM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
First, welcome to the forum! I can turn on my radio with no key also, so, I'm pretty sure that's normal. As for the other stuff, you should start with testing your battery and alternator. These little guys are known for going batty when a new battery is due.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:44 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

First, how good are you with tools and electrical testers? If you are not confident then either you learn on your car, or, you take it to a shop. Next, an old battery will cause issue with the Mini as the control unit is so sophisticated that minor voltage changes cause problems. Do you have an S or a Justa? Last, suggest you take the car to a autoparts store and have them test your battery.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:41 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Check the battery cable and the battery, when they change and fix the PS pump they come close to the battery and starter cables.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp-wiring.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-28-2017, 04:41 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Wowsers! Sounds like something was not reconnected correctly, I would guess the engine ground cable was not grounded properly (PS Pump is electric) So prior to replacing the Battery should have been disconnected, and or the ground strap from the engine compartment should have been disconnected to isolate the electrical system during the service work.

Motor On!

Old 07-28-2017, 06:22 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
There are many recalls for power steering on gen 1 Minis', you should see if your has one, if so, take it to a Mini dealer and the pump will be replaced and that may be the main problem. When the PS moter shorts out, it can cause havoc with your electrical system!