General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 or 2008?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 02:10 AM
Aldamar
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 or 2008?

Good morning folks, first post here. I'd like to trouble you for your opinion if I may.

My '05 hardtop is getting on in mileage (~210k), and has some backed up maintenance. Since it's my daily commuter vehicle, I'm happy at this point to move on to another Mini with fewer miles.

Given my modest budget and various picky tendencies, I've narrowed down my local postings to two candidates: a 2006 with a sunroof / cruise control and a few other nice extras with ~82k on it, and a 2008 base with no skippy extras but ~62k miles.

I begrudgingly admit that, while I love me a sunroof, I'd rather have the more reliable / dependable of the two. Thoughts?

My thanks and best wishes,

- Al

Old 07-10-2017, 06:24 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
The usual car advise is to buy the newest best example within your budget. You do not note whether the 06 is a S but as you note the 08 is a base, I would assume the 06 is a R53.

I do not know much about the Gen2 Justa relative to the chain tensioner issue that the turbo models had. Have you reviewed the Gen2 Stock Problems/Issues section?

Old 07-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Aldamar
1st Gear
I should have specified - the '06 is an r50. No turbos supers or flux capacitors for me, I drive like an old man and wring out every ounce of gas efficiency I can. Average 36.7 on my mixed commute with my current r50.

So it's a question of whether I want to jump a generation. Some threads I've read have insisted the mechanics on the first generation are far more reliable, others that they are the same but that second gen interiors are significantly nicer. And, of course, you have to bear in mind that my driving style is very easy on the car, so that can certainly play into consideration.

I'll review the common issues more for both throughout the day, too.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Pretty sure the 08 Justa has a N12. I know people that have had good luck with the N12 but many others that curse the day they saw an N12. The Gen1 Tritec with the cast iron block has been pretty good.

Yes, I like the interior on the Gen2 but as you can see by my signature, I chose the Gen1 over the Gen2.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:57 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
A base generation two MINI will get better mileage than a base generation one MINI.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Aldamar
1st Gear
Fate might have chosen for me this time. Checked out the 06 today. I guess it's been on the dealer's lot for over a year, and it needs a little love. Maybe some medium love.

Needs the muffler replaced, ac compressor repaired, ps pump replaced (which I'm pretty sure can be done on recall), a trip to the body shop, tires balanced and aligned, ball joints at least on drivers side. The list goes on.

So I'll check out the r56 Wednesday and see if we get along! I could always hit the dealer with the 06 with an intense lowball offer. It's been there so long they might cave!

Old 07-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Pretty sure the 06 was not part of the power steering pump recall, that was 02 to 05 if I recall correctly.

The ac compressor may be the clutch, or it could be the $5 resistor.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:57 PM
Aldamar
1st Gear
That's not the same legendary resistor that causes the first stage radiator fan to stop working, is it? It's on my to-do list to replace that.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:50 PM
Aldamar
1st Gear
... Or 2011? =) I got my current R50 back up and running, but I'm still tentatively poking for something newer in my area - and found an S convertible for sale at a dealer 3/4 of a mile from my house!

The allure of a convertible is admittedly pretty strong, but I'm not really sure what to look for as far as common problems. Still, since it's so close, and my personal mechanic is on the same street (to give it a look over if I decide to make an offer on it), it's almost impossible not to check it out.

- Ald

Last edited by Aldamar; 07-30-2017 at 11:53 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-31-2017, 08:04 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
If it has the N18 engine instead of that N14 its probably a good one to look at!!

Old 07-31-2017, 10:52 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Miss Susan (my long time friend and neighbor) with a '07 R52 and a '12 R56, she has been getting 45.5 mpg on her 124 mile daily drive.

Motor On!

Old 07-31-2017, 11:09 AM
Aldamar
1st Gear
Yeah, I had read the mileage efficiency was significantly improved in the newer generation - but that it'd be a wash going to an S.

Maybe I can remove the turbo I already get mid 36 on my commute. I'd love to break into the forties.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:54 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Get a boost/vacuum gauge. You can watch it as you step on the gas, if you keep the turbocharger out of the boost range, you'll get really good mileage. I can get mileage in the forties/gallon by doing that. I don't do it anymore 'cause it's too much fun romping on the go pedal.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:01 PM
Aldamar
1st Gear
Duly noted - I don't think I need a gauge for that, though. My geriatric inner spirit should quell the throttle enough as is

I looked at it yesterday afternoon, and I have to say it was a pretty nice seeming deal. Priced ~$200 below the bottom of the good / "Green" range on KBB. I'd probably already have a deposit on it, but the salesman was being rather difficult.

He seemed shocked after the test drive that I wanted to sit in his office to talk about the car. Then I had to prompt our entire conversation, made an offer, and he said he'd have to talk to his boss and call me later, by the end of the day. "I've got nine other calls on this car, and it's only been posted for a few days, blahr blahr blahr". No call back at the end of the day - it was like going on an awkward date with an uninterested girl who just set up a date with a bodybuilder for the next day.

I'll check in with 'em tomorrow - maybe I can catch another salesman

Old 08-01-2017, 04:25 AM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like the salesman is doing what salesmen do best...create urgency on your part so you don't miss out on the deal.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Aldamar
1st Gear
*sigh* Yeah, you got that right. Someone put it under deposit this morning before I woke up to call in.

C'est la vie, I'll just have to be patient and wait for another unicorn to come by.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:58 AM
Aldamar
1st Gear
Found another unicorn! Or is it more of a white whale at this point? hmmmm...

Going to call this morning to hopefully put a deposit down on a 2012 R57 base, only 12,000 miles on it. Cost is significantly greater than my original intent, but for so few miles I thought it would be alright to be a little flexible.

Buying out of state, so it'll probably take me a week to get it home and registered, but I'll load a few photos after that. Wish me luck!

- Ald