General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD II scanner

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:46 AM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
OBD II scanner

I had to clear permanent codes recently and checked out Amazon's OBD2 gear.. To my surprise, they have several for under $20 that hook up to your phone! I almost dropped $100 on a scanner from Auto Zone.. Glad I didn't. Its been years since I used a scanner and I'm glad technology has caught up!

This is the one I bought. Lots of different apps, though for a good one thats another $10, so all in for $30.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Adrian Valverde
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good work man, I found one a months back too. Cant beat the price and there are a ton of apps online.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:13 PM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I picked up a Foseal BT OBD2 scanner and Torque Pro. I'm loving all the extra gauges for a mere $17!

Old 05-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I left mine in the car when it went in for service, didn't return with car. I assume a tech needed my $15 device. I can't decide which one to buy.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:01 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I left mine in the car when it went in for service, didn't return with car. I assume a tech needed my $15 device. I can't decide which one to buy.
Its my impression they all do the same thing.. just a gateway to the obd2 and the app is what organizes the data.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:08 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
If you have an Android device, I bought
this this
one. I can double check access on my R50 if there's anything specific you're looking for (that the R50 has sensors for, of course).

Old 05-19-2017, 04:46 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
can you folks check if they work with the bmw carly app?

Old 05-19-2017, 05:03 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gjxj
can you folks check if they work with the bmw carly app?
I tried w/ Carly Lite. It said it was connected to the adapter, but never pulled any info. Then again, the lite version doesn't offer anything older than R56, so I was trying universal. I might not have given it enough time.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:08 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by burley
I had to clear permanent codes recently and checked out Amazon's OBD2 gear.. To my surprise, they have several for under $20 that hook up to your phone! I almost dropped $100 on a scanner from Auto Zone.. Glad I didn't. Its been years since I used a scanner and I'm glad technology has caught up!

This is the one I bought. Lots of different apps, though for a good one thats another $10, so all in for $30.

Amazon Amazon
A year or two ago I picked up the VeePeak with the on/off switch. If I were to do it again I would get the one you linked here — the wifi on/off just adds hassle each time I use it.

Most of the time I leave the Automatic brand Bluetooth one in; it paid off last month by alerting me on my phone about an obscure code that popped up before the Check Engine light came on. The app runs in the background of your iPhone or Android and connects to the device every time you turn on the car — no having to remember it.

The Automatic adapter works with DashCommand, OBD Fusion and Harry's LapTimer on iPhone. Carly doesn't, which is why I have the cheapie VeePeak. But now that I have an F56 Carly requires their own $70 adapter… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 05-20-2017, 10:38 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ST3ALTHPSYCH0
I tried w/ Carly Lite. It said it was connected to the adapter, but never pulled any info.
right that's what mine does (R56). It pairs up fine but no actual data.
Other apps like torque work fine, carly seems to just be cranky.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
right that's what mine does (R56). It pairs up fine but no actual data.
Other apps like torque work fine, carly seems to just be cranky.
Cranky = no, They want you to buy the Carly version so they probably code it to not work well or at all with other devices.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:31 PM
gjxj
4th Gear
maybe so, but i more think they are not so bright and its a chip set compatibility thing.

Really I'm mostly irritated that the genuine carly adapter is like 30euros, but if you want it in the US amazon jacks the price to $75.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:07 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
maybe so, but i more think they are not so bright and its a chip set compatibility thing.

Really I'm mostly irritated that the genuine carly adapter is like 30euros, but if you want it in the US amazon jacks the price to $75.
Probably shipping... I have a feeling that if you tried to buy from Carly using a currency exchange, it would come out a wash in cost.