General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Objections

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 01:44 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Objections

OBJECTIONS

Books have been written on how a salesperson can handle customer objections. And customers have been trained to use objections to try for a better deal.

Techniques for handling objections include pausing in silence for three seconds to see if the customer responds to his/her own objection (which often happens because sales negotiations are so anxiety-filled for many customers that they can’t stand the silence). For example:

Customer: That payment needs to come down.

The salesperson silently looks the customer in the eye for three seconds, after which the customer blurts out, “If you can just knock it down $25/month I can do that.”

Salesperson: So if we knock the monthly payment down $25/month you can do that, we have a deal, and you’re ready to sign?

Another technique for handling objections is to refocus the customer on the “big picture” by shifting away from the specific objection and moving into a discussion of value or how the numbers really aren’t what they seem to be or whatever other clever word track dodge the salesperson has memorized to use to basically ignore the customer’s specific objection and instead keep the pressure up to close the sale. For example:

Customer: I’m comfortable with my current payment of $450/month and you’re asking for $500 and I told you the payment needs to stay at $450.

Salesperson: (After pausing three seconds and getting silence back from the customer) I fully understand where you’re coming from. Now tell me if I’m wrong or right. You’re now driving a five year old car, with no warranty and 90,000 miles, and you’re paying $450/month for that car which, we agree, you could probably sell yourself today for $12,000. Right?

Customer: Well, that’s right I guess.

Salesperson: That’s right. You’re paying $450/month for a $12,000 car. And we’re offering you a brand new, fully warrantied car that you want and love that’s worth $28,000, for $500/month. $12,000 old, 90,000 mile car for $450/month or $28,000 brand new great car for $500/month. That’s $50/month for a brand new, fully warrantied MINI that’s worth more than twice what you’re driving now. Fifty bucks. Your current car’s got 90,000 miles on the clock and no warranty, and you’re still paying for another 6 payments. And this brand new MINI, which you love and want to drive home today, has, what, 8 miles on it, comes with free regular maintenance for 3 years/36,000 miles, meaning you aren’t paying for another oil change or filter for the next few years, and, on top of that, if it hiccups in any way, your new MINI comes back here, on our dime, we give you a free rental car to drive while your new MINI is in our shop, we give your back your new MINI when we’re done and we wash it for you for free, and you’re driving a $28,000 new car that you love, for, let’s see, fifty bucks a month more than you’re paying now for your old car with 90,000 miles and no warranty and no free service and no free car wash and the possibility that, at 90,000, you might need a battery or transmission work or any number of other repairs at any time that could leave you stranded and easily cost you more than $50 to fix. Fifty bucks a month.

Customer: I understand, but my budget….

Salesperson: (interrupting) I’m glad to hear you say you understand. That’s because you’re smart. Now if I wanted to become famous tomorrow, all I’d have to do is run an ad saying “Brand new $28,000 MINI’s with free maintenance for only fifty bucks a month more than what you’re paying now on your old tired, $12,000 car." There would be a stampede into this dealership. Fifty bucks and the new MINI is yours. You can do it and you know it’s the smart move right now.

Customer: Well, if you look at it that way, I guess…

Okay, shame on this salesperson for using all the old school, high pressure tactics mixed with new-age word tracks. But even greater shame on the customer for allowing this conversation to happen.

Let’s try it this way:

Customer: Perhaps I wasn’t clear. I gave you the numbers that would work for me. You asked me to confirm that if you met my numbers we would have a deal. I said yes. You went and talked to somebody I haven’t seen or met and then you came back with a bunch of different numbers than the ones we discussed.

Salesperson: I understand…

Customer: (firmly but politely interrupting and taking control of the conversation) I’m glad to hear that you understand. Because now that you have confirmed that you understand, we’re down to this: Are you the person who can get me the deal I need or is there someone else here I need to talk with to get this deal or should I shop around and find another dealer to do this deal? Because, as I told you before, whatever my trade is worth to you, I’ve got another thousand dollars to add to the deal on top of the trade and that’s it. We’ve listed everything I need in the deal and I can go as high as $450/month for sixty months on the new MINI. That’s the deal you went back there to get and that’s the deal I’m ready to say yes to right now.

Salesperson: I understand, but…

Customer: (firmly powering ahead) Good to know you understand. You and I know the invoice and we know that my offer is fair. I’ve agreed to give you top ratings on the survey, and we know that there is enough in this deal at the numbers you took back to your manager to do this deal. The question is simple: What do you need to do or who here do I need to talk with to get this done at the right numbers?

The lesson here is that there IS NEVER ANY REASON to get into a back and forth with a salesperson over objections. Just keep stating the terms that are acceptable to you. If what you are proposing is reasonable, you just keep giving the dealer the opportunity to earn your business until they say they can’t do it and let you walk, or they give you the fair deal you want.

Now, if a customer comes in with ridiculous expectations for a low ball deal that can never happen, or their credit is lousy and they expect the best rates, or their trade is a beater and they want top dollar, then double-shame on the customer.

But if you, as a customer, have your numbers right and all your stuff in order, you’ll never have to listen to a salesperson ‘splain to you, over your objections, all the wonderful benefits of paying more than you should for your next new car.

Now, for more than you ever wanted to know about the car buying process, if you haven't found the thread on your own, please visit:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-the-deal.html

Last edited by 2017All4; 02-12-2017 at 01:50 PM.