General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scared to Drive New MINI! Others Experienced the Same?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 05:35 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scared to Drive New MINI! Others Experienced the Same?

I bought a new Cooper S over a month and a half ago and I am so paranoid that something will happen to it that I have only driven it around the block one time! It is currently parked in the garage of our vacant rental home where it is safe from door dings, chips, the ravages of weather, and stupid drivers. Of course the rental home is vacant because I am afraid that tenants will screw up the new paint and flooring, so I probably should be posting this on a mental help forum!

Anyway, has anybody else experienced this with their new MINI? I really regret paying over forty grand for a car that I can't bring myself to drive. I wish I would have bought a pre-owned MINI with a few door dings and chips already there!

Sometimers a virgin doesn't make the best bride!

Old 04-11-2015, 06:24 AM
Steve Kay
2nd Gear
Look at it this way: it cost you $3000-$5000 in value to drive it off the lot. Right now, you are getting nothing in return for that. Get out there and enjoy some return on your investment!

Old 04-11-2015, 06:24 AM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm kinda like this with my car too. The thing I've come to realize though is that you can't enjoy your car if you are constantly obsessing over it. So just stop worrying and enjoy it. You bought it to have fun with it right? If you're really worried about rock chips just get some clearbra put on the front of your car.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:25 AM
Steve Kay
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Steve Kay
Look at it this way: it cost you $3000-$5000 in value to drive it off the lot. Right now, you are getting nothing in return for that. Get out there and enjoy some return on your investment!
By the way, we just took delivery of my wife's new F55 on Thursday night, and did an all-day road trip in it yesterday. Even (carefully) parked it at a mall.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:58 AM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I just picked up a 2012 Mini S and it was so well loved and cared for. I now feel a tremendous responsibility to keep her well taken care of too. I worry about door dings and damage due to rocks etc. But, I picked it up to put a smile on my face and the best way for that to happen is to belt in and let her do what she does best! Entertain with childlike glee!

Get out and drive!

Old 04-11-2015, 08:28 AM
spikeyadrian
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I know exactly where your coming from.
I purchased my Mini brand new way back in 2004 and I am still
weary of where I park it and about it getting damaged.
But hey, it's a Mini......drive it, that's where the fun is!

Old 04-11-2015, 08:51 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
You're in Napa!!!
I wish I lived there.

I drive a GTR in Los Angeles, I keep spare underwear in the glovebox.
Bought the MINI as a DD.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:04 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I special-ordered and purchased my MINI in 2012, and have taken really good care of it...for 66,000 miles since. They're made to enjoy, IMHO.

Saddest thing I saw recently on a TV show was a guy, who in 1980, bought a classic 1960 Impala convertible with 14,000 original miles. He kept it garaged, started once a month, but didn't drive it "because it would lose value". He passed away; his wife told how they used to sit in it, in the garage, and listen to the radio. That's all. She had never been for a ride in it. The host restored the car and took her for a ride before it went to auction. What a shame. All that potential for nice, sunny day rides to get an ice cream or whatever...totally lost.

My MINI has been to Canada, and across the Mac bridge; to Texas, to run a standing mile contest; autocrossed, car shows, MINI Takes the States. I enjoy it so much. And try to keep it looking like new. Stuff will wear out and I'll repair it. These are made to be used, and I think it is so sad when they are not.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:12 AM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Send it to me, I will carefully break it in for you.

I can understand where you are coming from. Go out and drive and enjoy it, your paying for it even if it sits, get you moneys worth. Don't bother saving for you kids, they can get their own.

You live in Napa and have an "S" get out there and drive those beautiful sport car roads, Take run up highway 1. or up to Calistoga and watch the World of Outlaws this weekend.

Tom

Old 04-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
As an amateur medical professional I can suggest that you sign over the title to me and be free of the anxiety. For the future, buy a used car that has some scars already.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Thanks, guys. I know it is completely irrational because I was thinking that I would just cut my losses, sell it, and accept a $7,000 +/- loss just to stop worrying about it. Then I started thinking about how many door ding repairs and how many times I could get it detailed for the same $7,000!

Old 04-11-2015, 01:41 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
It's insured with a deductible so it can be repaired. My wife has had here since Sept of last year and she goes to Walmart and Target and so far no dings, dents, or scratches. Found out if you park in cent of space the car is small enough other doors may not hit it. She did run over a parking stop and busted the plastic pan under the engine and put dent in pan at the drain bolt I will be ordering a new and have a new plastic piece on the work bench. Will not change the pan until and unless it starts leaking. My advice drive it and enjoy it you have some of the best country to drive it in the roads are made for it. We are taking the mini up to Amador County wine country in the mornin. Put the auto is stick mode and trun on ahd sport mode open the sun roof and Motor on. We are seniors (68,73 and still enjoy a brisk drive. Be going over the Andretti Winery in May for a function and it will be in the Mini

Tom

Old 04-11-2015, 02:06 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick-Anderson
Thanks, guys. I know it is completely irrational because I was thinking that I would just cut my losses, sell it, and accept a $7,000 +/- loss just to stop worrying about it. Then I started thinking about how many door ding repairs and how many times I could get it detailed for the same $7,000!
You can't get door dings if you keep motoring and never park it, motor on!

Old 04-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Brutal-Force
2nd Gear
I bought mine with 13k on it. It was "new" as a demo. It had some scratches and paint chips in the front, but I don't obsess over stuff like that. Its gonna get those all by itself. Hell, right after washing it a bird took a dump on the hood, I wiped it off and kept motoring. Have fun with it.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Csbdr
3rd Gear
Drive it like you stole it!! I'm careful about were I park, and seem to be getting more exercise due to walking from the back of the parking lot, but otherwise.....

Old 04-11-2015, 07:04 PM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
Yeah it's natural to be very defensive about your brand new vehicle, I would say most people are like that. But to get over that, I just keep driving!

I got mine back in November and somebody had the nerve to ding my passenger-side door when I only had about 1,500 miles on it when I parked it in a parking lot to pickup my lunch. I was able to polish out the scratch but the ding is still there and I still get angry whenever I wash the car and I see the ding.

But hey, that's what auto body shops are for, and sometime soon I plan on bringing it in to have the ding filled and the panel repainted and I'll just keep motoring.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:16 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had dings repaired on two vehicles with paintless dent repair. It costs around $100/panel and you cannot tell any repairs were made. They push the ding or dent out from behind the panel. I even had a smallish branch fall on the back corner of my Mini hood with a dent around 2 inches long and not round and they got it out fine. If you have multiple dents in a single panel they charge the same as for a single dent; at least the place I went to.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:09 AM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Don't take that first parking spot, while there are no perfect parking spots, park in wide spaces with nobody else around. Look for spots at the end of a row so there's only one side at risk, preferably driver's side since most cars don't have passengers. Don't get too comfortable...drive like everybody is trying to kill you...be very defensive. Don't tailgate, you're more likely to get chips, not see potholes, or other hazards. Don't park under lights or trees, birds love an opportunity to take a rest above a nice clean car.

But the biggest don't is don't let your car sit in a garage!

I feel the same way as you, but I'm careful and try to minimize things I have some control over.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:36 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by ShipM8
...drive like everybody is trying to kill you...be very defensive.
Was under the impression this mindset was only indicative for safe drivers of the Providence RI area...

Old 04-12-2015, 06:46 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm occasionally reminded of a personalized license plate a fellow in San Diego had for his new BMW: JUSACAR

Old 04-13-2015, 06:29 AM
Laura & Gary
2nd Gear
If you are really worried. Put xpel or other protection film on it. That stuff really does work wonders on keeping rock chips, dings and scratches away.

Wash often so that you can discover any issues early so that they can be dealt with.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:31 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I totally understand wanting to take care of a new car & keep it in the best shape possible, but cars are meant to be driven, and enjoyed! Like others have said, maybe pick a more sparsely-used area of parking lots, park w/a curb on one side if possible, and don't closely follow behind garbage trucks or gravel haulers. Other than that, enjoy the car as it's meant to be!

You paid for it, and will continue to pay for it, whether it's sitting or eating up miles, so get your money's worth. Eventually, a rock chip will happen -- it's inevitable. But unless you're talking about a 1 of 100 or 200 Ferrari or other uber-valuable collectible car, you won't harm your car's value driving it. And the things that happen to a car on the road, just happen. I've found that the experiences I have behind the wheel are what make the joy of ownership what it is.

Don't worry too much, just take as much car as you can, but DRIVE and ENJOY!

Old 04-14-2015, 03:55 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I know the feeling.

The first New car I have purchased was a 2005 VW Jetta GLI Mk IV and I was really paranoid about getting the slightest bit of dirt on it.

2 weeks into ownership I got caught in a February Hail storm that created a few small dings on the trunk, roof and hood

After that my worries were over and considered it "Broken In"

Old 04-14-2015, 05:55 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Take your car out...(unless you want to be on a TV show with a "barn find" in 20 years....
Let it get its first ding or chip..will feel liberating....
If you are not feeling better, you truly spent more than you can afford...
In that case...sell it, take the $5000 loss, and buy a corolla......

Old 04-14-2015, 06:17 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I understand your trepidations, OP, but as was said above, just drive it. You bought the car to serve you, not vise versa. Drive it and enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Scared to Drive New MINI! Others Experienced the Same?