General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 04:47 AM
sophie18
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie.....

This is Sophie newbie from California.Want to purchase mini but confused about model.
Any one suggest the model which is worth to buy.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:24 AM
davidg5700
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sophie18
This is Sophie newbie from California.Want to purchase mini but confused about model.

I guess it really depends on what you're looking for. As with anything, you'll get a dozen different opinions for a dozen different models. I guess that is why most car companies make more than one model.

What is your key criteria?

Old 10-29-2014, 03:34 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Also keep in mind it's the internet so you'll hear a lot more negative than positives. N14 vs N18, Gen 1 vs Gen 2 (or Gen 3), Justas vs S, etc.

If you just want a runabout and don't plan on worrying about performance a whole lot or anything a Justa should work (non-S).

If you'd like some more mmph there's the S model, although remember it's a turbo so more potential problems (and some already known). Same with JCW, although I don't recall seeing a whole lot yet JCW-specific.

If you'd like the most out of it and willing to pay more if new (or a little more if used) then look at any JCWs around.

There's a lot of dislike here towards Gen 2s and/or turbo models, yet most of the overall reviews I've seen in general online have been positive. So they can't be quite the useless POSs some make them out to be.

Good luck on your decision. With more specifics as asked about above we should be able to help point you in the right direction.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:28 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As others have said, what are your requirements for the car?
New or Used, Price, Gas Mileage, Acceleration, Handling, Seating Room, Storage Capacity with seats up and down, how to you intend to use the car (Daily Driver or Weekend, Street, Highway, Traffic, Back Roads, Auto-X, Track Days, Off-Road).
We can then help point you in the right direction.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:14 AM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have the ca$h, new is the way to go. This is one brand of car that if you're offered an extended warranty -- buy it if you plan on keeping the car for the long haul!

The MINI Cooper Hardtop, with the 3-cylinder engine is a good car to use as a daily driver. You should be able to buy one new for under $25,000.

However, you mentioned: "nice seating capacity," ...IMHO, you're looking at the wrong brand of cars. MINI used to make the Clubman, which had some extra room, but that model has been discontinued.

Perhaps the MINI Countryman could work for you?

Old 11-08-2014, 07:00 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mini_wisconsin
If you have the ca$h, new is the way to go. This is one brand of car that if you're offered an extended warranty -- buy it if you plan on keeping the car for the long haul!

The MINI Cooper Hardtop, with the 3-cylinder engine is a good car to use as a daily driver. You should be able to buy one new for under $25,000.

However, you mentioned: "nice seating capacity," ...IMHO, you're looking at the wrong brand of cars. MINI used to make the Clubman, which had some extra room, but that model has been discontinued.

Perhaps the MINI Countryman could work for you?

An extended warranty is probably the most important the most important thing you can negotiate if planning on keeping the car beyond it's normal warranty.
A "new" very low mileage ( one that has less than 5K or 6K on it ) with CPO certification would be the best bang for the buck if you can live with the fact that the car has already been broken in.
As for the new Mini's that both have turbo's, it really just comes down to which you prefer or how much you are willing to pay as both will probably have the same reliability issues.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:05 AM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TREX
An extended warranty is probably the most important the most important thing you can negotiate if planning on keeping the car beyond it's normal
warranty.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:46 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are going to purchase an extended warranty do some research on various companies that sell extended warranties so that you can compare coverage, deductibles, and cost with what Mini has to offer. The dealership has a lot of negotiation room in reducing their extended warranty price during the car sale. Do not pay too much for the extended warranty at the dealership.

I love my Mini but for your requirements, I would think there are better and less expensive cars. If you just like Minis, there is a four door Mini coming out soon that might be worth investigating.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:38 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

have you purchased a MINI yet ?

Old 12-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
... nice seating capacity,mileage and good storing capacity.
If those are your only priorities, I think a Prius might actually fit your needs better. Most of them have decent or better seating and the larger ones have quite a bit of storage.

MINIs are small cars; even the larger ones aren't exactly super capacious. In general, they are about the driving experience. They are an immense amount of fun to zip around in, and they are reasonably efficient.

You didn't mention reliability. The MINI brand as a whole does not have the best track record for reliability. That's why people mention getting an extended warranty, because your odds appear greater than most other brands that you will actually need to use it.

I really dig my MINI--but my priorities were not "seating, storage, and mileage". I did want mileage, but the other criteria for me were a small car, excellent handling, and the ability to put a big grin on my face when I got behind the wheel. And on those, the MINI delivers.