General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY Completed my Matte Grey MINI Project!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 05:26 PM
DarrenK
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by babysarah
Thanks! Easily a few years. I will say this though .. MINI's factory paint is complete garbage. In some places, the paint AND clearcoat completely lifted because the paint formed tiny bubbles in one spot right above the fuel cap. So for me, if I ever remove this, I imagine it won't be pretty. I don't think I ever would anyways. I plan on running this puppy til she's dead.
The 1080 doesn't stand up to rock chips very well so avoid gravel roads or any situation there may be some chance of getting a chip. I'm sure you won't have to worry to much living in Florida.

I did 600 KMs highway this weekend (Alberta, Canada) and my front end is just shot from salt and crap thrown at me from semi's in-front and other cars merging. That combined with -22C and the vinyl just shatters. I was trying to be very cautious and keep good distance but it was just a bad weekend... my windshield got chipped twice and has lot's of imperfections too.

Another thing to watch for are parking lots. When someone opens their door onto your car, more often than not the vinyl will tear slightly and budge up.

I'm also finding it a little difficult to clean when it get's very dirty!

Old 02-13-2014, 06:29 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Scuttles!

Gorgeous! The pink looks great against the gloss black scuttles and wheels. Just the right amount of POP! Did you end up hand painting the MINI emblem?

Old 02-13-2014, 10:57 AM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by zrickety
Car looks great. Any more pics of the projector mod? I'm curious how it's mounted and which model nissan was the donor.
I unfortunately do not have photos of the entire modification process. The housing modification required a lot more work than your average retrofit. The only thing taken from the GTR were the D2 ballasts & D2 bulbs. In my honest opinion, definitely not a DIY project. The ballasts are mounted inside the housing.

Here are a couple up-close shots. Pretty sure the MINI retrofit cannot get any cleaner than this.

Originally Posted by Grizld700
Gorgeous! The pink looks great against the gloss black scuttles and wheels. Just the right amount of POP! Did you end up hand painting the MINI emblem?
They were actually done using wrap to ensure precision in the grooves.

Originally Posted by DarrenK
The 1080 doesn't stand up to rock chips very well so avoid gravel roads or any situation there may be some chance of getting a chip. I'm sure you won't have to worry to much living in Florida. ... ... I'm also finding it a little difficult to clean when it get's very dirty!
Not too much down here for rock chips. I also always try to avoid parking near people. People just have no respect sometimes.

For the wrap, a wash/wax soap and quick detailer will be your best friend. For stains and other elements like sap, etc Simple Green works great if you haven't tried that already. The only 1080 film I've had personal experience with that was a pain to keep clean, was the matte white. If the matte black is anything like that, good grief! The matte metallic 1080 films like mine though, dirt just wipes right off literally as easily as it sounds.

Last edited by babysarah; 02-13-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:26 AM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Nicely Done !!! The accents are a great touch and everything looks so clean. All your handy work? Major kudos !!!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They were actually done using wrap to ensure precision in the grooves.

Ahhhh I see much better with this shot. From the angled shot it looked slightly wavy like paint would. This shot is much clearer!

Old 02-13-2014, 12:08 PM
borderwave2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your car would look amazing with a drop. Love the wrap. How much did it cost total?

Old 02-13-2014, 12:24 PM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by borderwave2
Your car would look amazing with a drop. Love the wrap. How much did it cost total?
That's the next project. I'm keeping the factory wheels for now since the tires are brand new, but they'll be done later .. sometime ..

The wrap was $1200 for the full vehicle including the fenders.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:52 PM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Thanks for the pics. GTR lights?! Nice touch!!

Old 02-13-2014, 12:53 PM
borderwave2
4th Gear
Not a bad price actually. I think I know what wheels you need...

Old 02-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Blueberry03MC
2nd Gear
Really awesome MINI! Thanks for sharing!
I really like the pink accents on the car

Old 02-13-2014, 01:19 PM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by borderwave2
Not a bad price actually. I think I know what wheels you need...
Yesss Those are the ones I want! Had brand new tires on the car before I started this project, so I felt like it was pointless to have to buy another set + wheels so soon.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:22 PM
GreggB
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
One of my favorite things about MINI's is how they can be made to be your own. You did an incredible job doing just that. Love it!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Minian
5th Gear
Yesss Those are the ones I want! Had brand new tires on the car before I started this project, so I felt like it was pointless to have to buy another set + wheels so soon.
Powder-coat yours, maybe? I know the style is different, but if it's the color you want you can get close.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:24 PM
cambo
3rd Gear
Sorry if somebody already asked this and I missed it...but the fact that you retrofitted HIDs in WITHOUT needing any reprogramming is pretty significant to me, as the whole reprogramming BS is what's stopping me from doing a retrofit.

Could you provide any insight on what was done to not need any reprogramming? Thanks!

Old 02-18-2014, 04:23 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Nicely done! Can't wait for some full side shots!

Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 AM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cambo
Sorry if somebody already asked this and I missed it...but the fact that you retrofitted HIDs in WITHOUT needing any reprogramming is pretty significant to me, as the whole reprogramming BS is what's stopping me from doing a retrofit.

Could you provide any insight on what was done to not need any reprogramming? Thanks!
I saw your response a few days ago, but just wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten you! I am trying to get in some good use of the new retrofit before I say, without a doubt, that I did not need reprogramming. All is well, and still no reprogram. However, I am testing the lights in as many ways as I possibly can before I confirm.