General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Day at BIR

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Mical
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Track Day at BIR

After reading a bezillion threads of you guys tracking your Minis, finally took mine to BIR. (Brainerd Int'l Raceway)

It was an eye opening learning experience. Surprised alot of folks - including myself. All in all it was a blast and I'm sure I'll be doing it again.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:16 AM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Awesome, isn't it?! It's a whole different mindset. Thompson Speedway in CT is supposed to be opening up a full road course around June of 2014, and word is you're going to be able to take your own cars on it. I can't wait.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Mical
4th Gear
Awesome doesn't describe it... it's definitely a different mindset

I can't tell you enough how much I came away with. Everyone should do it at least once, you'll discover a whole new respect for your car, your abilities and the boundaries of what Mini builds into your car. You'll be surprised at what your car is capable of without having to torture it. The biggest thing I came away with was patience, noticed it driving home.

When I first got their, I got the "cute look" from about everyone including the instructor. Cuteness wore off after a few sessions and I inherited a whole new group of friends.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet! your first time tracking your car is something you will remember forever. I remember my first time was at Beaver Run in PA. At the time, I didn't even know how to heel/toe downshift......not long after that I was trail braking..the speed at which to learn how to properly hustle your car around a track is amazing.

Not sure if this track demanded it or not for your first few passes, but my best learning aid was having an instructor in the car with me during my first few HPDE's....

I can't wait to get our first Mini onto the track once we get it....along with track pads and tires, of course!

I know a bunch of folks with performance cars who are hesitant to do an HPDE, whether they don't want people to find out that they don't know the depths of performance their car has, or they think it's dangerous. In reality, of course, having your car on the track is the absolute safest place it can be. Everybody on that track is doing the exact same thing at the exact same time, and they all want to drive their cars home at the end of the day.

I have done more than 60 HPDE's in the last 8 years, and have never had a close call and have never seen an accident on the track during the weekend.....They just make you such a better driver on the street....

Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 AM
TimB
2nd Gear
That was your very first time on a track? You're moving through those turns like you've got a lot of confidence. Great job.

If you get a chance to go back out again, try mounting your camera behind you so you can see your hand and head movements. You can pick up some pretty easy things just by seeing how you handle the controls and where you're looking. Pretty soon, you'll be wanting to time trial.

And just as a general comment, whenever I get track time, I never get as much wide open space as you're getting at Brainerd. Out here, you'll find yourself in a bunch of traffic most track days.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Mical
4th Gear
Yep, first time. Video was 3rd session w/o instructor. The first two sessions we had an instructor who went w/each of 3 drivers in his group.(they had about 15 instructors to handle about 100 cars in 3 classes + spec racers) Our instructor was awesome, when he felt confident he let us out on our own. He was assigned to us for the day but by mid afternoon he was pretty much a spectator or rider but still gave us alot of input from observing us from other vehicles.

I recorded each session front bumper, rear bumper and from inside behind driver. The rear bumper picked up ALOT of noise (and debris), the "in car" one(s) I still have to edit - each session was 25 minutes of track time and alot of footage is boring...

Thanks for the words of encouragement, the confidence level went up the more laps I did. There's a real irony to it, the earlier easy corners got harder as I was carrying more speed coming out of the difficult ones (if that makes any sense...) The carousel was probably the toughest, there's basically 2 apexes then it dumps you into a chicane. By the end of the day I was doing 2.21mins for 2 1/2 mile track (according to instructor) & that was with about 20 cars on track.

All in all it was a blast & I'm sure I'll be back

Old 07-17-2013, 07:36 AM
TimB
2nd Gear
I just checked out the aerial of the road course at BIR. That carousel is nasty. I want to try it!

As you progress through DE, here's something to keep in the back of your mind. When you're new, you want to kick out the instructor and go for it alone because, well, you'd rather not have someone telling you what you're doing wrong. At least, that's what I found. But as you get faster and faster, you actually want that instructor back in the car with you from time to time because eventually you start finding new lines. You can plateau and just eat up tires and brakes trying to get faster...or you can make a couple of adjustments and find .5 or 1.0 seconds just by doing something simple. Just my two cents.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimB
I just checked out the aerial of the road course at BIR. That carousel is nasty. I want to try it!

As you progress through DE, here's something to keep in the back of your mind. When you're new, you want to kick out the instructor and go for it alone because, well, you'd rather not have someone telling you what you're doing wrong. At least, that's what I found. But as you get faster and faster, you actually want that instructor back in the car with you from time to time because eventually you start finding new lines. You can plateau and just eat up tires and brakes trying to get faster...or you can make a couple of adjustments and find .5 or 1.0 seconds just by doing something simple. Just my two cents.
Truer words were never spoken, my friend

Old 07-17-2013, 11:22 AM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mical
Awesome doesn't describe it... it's definitely a different mindset

I can't tell you enough how much I came away with. Everyone should do it at least once, you'll discover a whole new respect for your car, your abilities and the boundaries of what Mini builds into your car. You'll be surprised at what your car is capable of without having to torture it. The biggest thing I came away with was patience, noticed it driving home.

When I first got their, I got the "cute look" from about everyone including the instructor. Cuteness wore off after a few sessions and I inherited a whole new group of friends.
Lol, same here, except I showed up in a 13 year old TL with All-Season tires, so the 'cute' look never stopped . Pulling in to the pits because it was over-heating certainly didn't help. But all it takes is one trip and you're hooked. You did really well! What camera were you using and what tires & brakes were you on if you don't mind me asking?

Old 07-18-2013, 05:16 AM
Mical
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ChaiLatte
Lol, same here, except I showed up in a 13 year old TL with All-Season tires, so the 'cute' look never stopped . Pulling in to the pits because it was over-heating certainly didn't help. But all it takes is one trip and you're hooked. You did really well! What camera were you using and what tires & brakes were you on if you don't mind me asking?
I was using GoPro Hero2 (autosport edition on Craven Tow hook mount). Tires are 235/50 zr 17 Mich Pilot Sports and brakes are OEM stock.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:20 AM
Mical
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TimB

So TRUE...

Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 AM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
I was using GoPro Hero2 (autosport edition on Craven Tow hook mount). Tires are 235/50 zr 17 Mich Pilot Sports and brakes are OEM stock.
Was brake fade an issue?

Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Mical
4th Gear
Was brake fade an issue?
Surprisingly it wasn't an issue. It was on my mind after reading a dozen or so threads about OEM brakes on track, but I had no issues with brakes. Then again I only ran 115 laps all day...

Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 AM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
Surprisingly it wasn't an issue. It was on my mind after reading a dozen or so threads about OEM brakes on track, but I had no issues with brakes. Then again I only ran 115 laps all day...
Maybe the brake ducts on the newer MINI's are doing their job well?

Old 07-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Mical
4th Gear
Maybe the brake ducts on the newer MINI's are doing their job well?
Good question... another thing that was on the back of my mind was the CM clutch issue - and again there was no issues there either.

Here's a couple of the others who attended...

Attached Thumbnails Track Day at BIR-img_3449.jpg   Track Day at BIR-img_3466.jpg   Track Day at BIR-img_3459.jpg  
Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 PM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
Good question... another thing that was on the back of my mind was the CM clutch issue - and again there was no issues there either.

Here's a couple of the others who attended...
Lol, reminds me of my track day. My POS TL was on the track the same time as a 911 Turbo, Z06, supercharged GTO etc.

Aren't you worried that the dealer may find you on this site with this thread and give you a hassle for the warranty?

Old 07-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Mical
4th Gear
Yea there were quite a few "high end" rides there. One of the funniest rides in the "semi pro class" was a Volvo 760 turbo wagon..dog fence and all. It wasn't the fastest thing out there but the guy driving was awesome, he KNEW how to get around and was giving the Audis, Porsches & big V8 machines an "enlightening".

I highly doubt my dealer watches the forums, the SA's aren't even aloud to respond to facebook, myspace, etc...You can't even send them pictures of a question or problem due to dealer firewall/security. Something w/Penske organization.