General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Carbon Buildup Problem census count

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:47 PM
MCDawg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the bg44 fuel injection cleaner every 3k miles really work? I use 91 octane from chevron, shell or mobil, as I've never seen 93. I hope this is good enough.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:34 PM
karlInSanDiego
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Additive in the gas tank can't help clean intake valves

While fuel additives can help keep injectors, pistons, and valve faces clean, the problem with the R56 Direct injection engine is a problem with many direct injection engines. The PCV routing pulls oily mist past the intake valves, and there is no fuel (solvent) to clean them. My photos above show the side effect that MINI dealerships are treating with walnut shell blasting. They do that because this problem will not remedy itself with any amount of Techron or STP. Some owners are using Seafoam treatments misted into the intake via the PCV hose, but this will not clean the valves or the ports comprehensively, especially if it's gone untreated for years and 50k+ miles.

Here's how Peugeot owners are solving the problem from recurring, with inspiration from Peugeot themselves.
http://www.etuners.gr/en/index.php?s=12&t=299

I am installing the BSH Catch can at the Turbo PCV (these engines have two), and the BSH Boost Valve at the end of the PCV hose from the intake. That boost valve allows for an internal plug, so you invisibly stop that line from working. I belive this, or the simple plug method from Peugeot should be part of a recall from MINI and Peugeot. They are treating the symptom,instead of the cause.

Last edited by karlInSanDiego; 06-18-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Ween
3rd Gear
What are the side effects, if any, of using the plug method as laid out in your link?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:07 AM
seanpualion
Neutral
I have just joined and I hope I will learn a lot of new information here.
I admire the valuable information you offered in your article. Excellent submission very good post.Keep posting thumbs up.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:30 AM
karlInSanDiego
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ween
What are the side effects, if any, of using the plug method as laid out in your link?
That's a great question. In the past, cars had simple Positive Crankcase Ventilation in order to
1) reduce pressure by actively forming a vacuum in an engine, thereby greatly reducing/eliminating the kind of oil leaks old sports cars were known for. High RPM and blowby would pressurize the engines and force oil past the seals. PCV stopped that.
2) reprocess that crankcase vapor, back through the combustion process in order to burn the fuel and oil present in it.

PCV relies on a constant vacuuming out of the air in the crankcase and the space under the valve/cam cover. A PCV valve is usually used to control the vacuum allowing a strong and weak intake pull to gradually and consistantly keep the crankcase at slight negative pressure.

The N14 engine has two such PCVs pulls, one being stronger than the other. Another poster on NAM has postulated that the two were designed to work as a team to flow air into the engine from the turbo PCV, and out the rear/intake one. MINI is probably unable to admit fault and correct the problem by plugging the rear PCV, because once a car/engine has been certified for emissions, it's no kosher for them to alter that plan.

So here are my answers to your question:

A) My guess, and this is only a guess, is that simply blanking (or plugging) the rear PCV without adding a catch can to the second PCV will cause the second PCV to draw that oily residue into the fresh air side of the turbo inlet, which will gunk up the turbo and send lots of that crap to live in (read plug up) the low positioned intercooler.

B) If you add the catch can to the second PCV and plug the first, the side effect will be maintenance remembering to empty the catch can. If you don't it will fill and either stop PCV which will lead to oil leaks in the engine, or it will start to suck liquid, catch-can residue into the turbo. According to some accounts (may have been routing catch can to stronger intake PCV) the catch can will fill before you need an oil change.

This is probably why MINI keeps claiming to not know what's going on or how to solve it, because needing a user serviced catch can for your design is an embarassment they can't afford to have, and they can't recall and saddle owners with a high maintenance solution.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:52 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not aware of MINI claiming to not know what's going on or how to solve it. My understanding is carbon build-up in direct-injection engines as a side-effect of the engine design is well-known throughout the automotive industry (not just MINI or Peugot). The problem is that consumers don't seem to understand that inevitably, they will need to get the carbon cleaned out as part of a program of routine maintenance.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:56 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Just got mine done, picked her up today. Drives fantastic, as if I had picked her up from day 1. This is definitely a must for anyone getting a Mini Cooper S/JCW.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:06 PM
minirab
5th Gear
How long have you had the car and how many miles on it. Also, did you

do any other preventive measures for that issue?

Old 06-21-2012, 02:12 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gitmoe
I have concerns of carbon buildup in my '09 Clubman S. I bought the car used with 17.7k miles on it and I drive a lot for work. In 6 months Im up to 28k miles. I only use 93 octane from BP or Sunoco but I fear the previous owner used less than excellent gas. How can I approach my service department with my concern in hopes of getting them to clean my carbon if needed? I need to get an oil change soon so I'd like to deal with it at the same time.
You go in and tell them it stumbles, hesistates, and audibly pings. Explain that it has all the symptoms that people describe here....tell them you always run the highest gas you can find and the car should not be pinging. They'll most likely not do anything under warranty or goodwill though, unless you have misfire codes stored.

But hey, worth a shot

Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minirab
How long have you had the car and how many miles on it. Also, did you

do any other preventive measures for that issue?
'10 MCS with 40k miles. My friend should email me the before and after pics. I saw them and I was surprised how caked it was in there.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:59 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You need to get a polish on that bad boy.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:38 PM
DawnPurcell
Neutral
Bought the car used 40 days ago (9/10/12). '08 MCS, 36k at purchase now 41k. I have a 100k mile maintenance warranty transferred from the previous owner and I purchased a 3 year 100k mile extended warranty. MINI of Concord (CA) says nope, not covered!!! Seriously??? How is it neither a defect nor a maintenance issue??? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-20-2012, 06:52 PM
pjdaustin
2nd Gear
The MCS has the turbo right ? What was the dealership's explaination for cause ? What did they tell ya ?? Seems like this problem is unique to models equipped with turbos, but I could be wrong. I so feel your frustration and anger. Has anyone with a base cooper experienced this problem ? Does the base model have direct injection ?

Old 10-21-2012, 05:57 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
The carbon build-up is not a warranty issue because it is not a defect. It is a result of the use of direct injection.

It is not covered as a maintenance item because whatever maintenance plan you have does not include carbon cleaning.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:29 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
I'm not aware of MINI claiming to not know what's going on or how to solve it. My understanding is carbon build-up in direct-injection engines as a side-effect of the engine design is well-known throughout the automotive industry (not just MINI or Peugot).
It has little if anything to do with direct injection. All engines which recirculate oil vapor for combustion are prone to this. And higher octane gas builds up faster; the combustion inhibitors used to prevent pre-detonation also cause the fuel to burn less efficiently when the engine isn't under much load.

That said, I don't think I've seen an engine which is prone to such heavy build-up the way these MINI engines are. Think I'll put an oil catch can on my project list...

Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
The problem is that consumers don't seem to understand that inevitably, they will need to get the carbon cleaned out as part of a program of routine maintenance.
Not entirely sure I can agree with this. The rate of build up in the MCS engines is astonishing. I've seen intakes and valves as heavily coated as the photos here, but never in engines so young. I think BMW has a design flaw of some sort on its hands. But, I am not an engineer, just a guy who wrenches on his own cars and motorcycles.

(A popular modification on Ducati motorcycles is to replace the crankcase breather line with a filter to catch the oil vapor but otherwise let the crankcase vent to the atmosphere. This drops carbon build up on the intake valves to nearly zero.)

Old 10-21-2012, 06:34 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by karlInSanDiego
While fuel additives can help keep injectors, pistons, and valve faces clean, the problem with the R56 Direct injection engine is a problem with many direct injection engines. The PCV routing pulls oily mist past the intake valves, and there is no fuel (solvent) to clean them.
This will teach me to post before reading the entire history of a thread. Thanks for clarifying the mechanism, and thanks even more for the link!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 AM
capt fred
2nd Gear
The warranty issue is not just a Mini problem. The warranty on my new 2013 BMW M3 specifically says that carbon build up is not covered. I can only imagine what it will cost to disassemble the four cam V8 to clean the valves.
It remains to be seen if the N18 engine in my 2011 MCS will have as many carbon problems as the N14 engine. I believe the PCV system in the N18 is different (but maybe not better) than the N14.
It also would seem logical to me that the cars that live in the colder climates will produce more crankcase vapors/condensation and therefor have a higher rate of carbon build up.
In my case I don't put more than 6k miles a year on my toy cars, and being 72 years old, I may not live long enough to worry about it. When I think about it that way, maybe I should hope I do end up with the problems on both cars.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:20 AM
pjdaustin
2nd Gear
Well said Cap't. Proof wisdom comes with age !

Old 10-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Kate in the Middle
Neutral
New MINI owner here. '09 Cooper S. What are "symptoms" of the carbon build-up?

Old 10-24-2012, 11:54 PM
TheMINIwhisperer
1st Gear
Just a heads up to you guys in southern california, I do carbon cleanings for customers at my house for $400.00 new intake manifold gaskets included! Contact me if anyone is interested. For those of you that have recently had a carbon cleaning done, and your vehicle is going out of warranty soon, I have found that performing an induction service (foam cleaner the dealer trys to sell you on every visit for 250.00) DOES HELP cut down on carbon levels, and probably buys you an extra 10-15k miles depending on how many you do between carbon cleanings. We have found that carbon cleanings will be needed EVERY 30k miles or so, without the induction service (foam cleaner). If anyone is interested in doing the induction services, but dont want to pay the $250.00 at the dealer, I do the exact same induction service, same brand and everything, for $125.00. For all of you guys with the N18 engine, so far you are looking pretty good. They seem to consume alot less oil, and the valves dont gunk up as bad as the N14 engine. Good luck guys!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Slowride1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheMINIwhisperer
Just a heads up to you guys in southern california, I do carbon cleanings for customers at my house for $400.00 new intake manifold gaskets included! Contact me if anyone is interested. For those of you that have recently had a carbon cleaning done, and your vehicle is going out of warranty soon, I have found that performing an induction service (foam cleaner the dealer trys to sell you on every visit for 250.00) DOES HELP cut down on carbon levels, and probably buys you an extra 10-15k miles depending on how many you do between carbon cleanings. We have found that carbon cleanings will be needed EVERY 30k miles or so, without the induction service (foam cleaner). If anyone is interested in doing the induction services, but dont want to pay the $250.00 at the dealer, I do the exact same induction service, same brand and everything, for $125.00. For all of you guys with the N18 engine, so far you are looking pretty good. They seem to consume alot less oil, and the valves dont gunk up as bad as the N14 engine. Good luck guys!
Thanks for the info.

Can you please keep us udated say in another 6 months or higher mileage N18 mini's you service.

Thank you!

Old 10-25-2012, 12:04 PM
axleR56
3rd Gear
Does anybody on here know if switching to the updated valve cover will fix the issue? Guy on minitorque did the swap http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272...nls-r56-25947/

Old 10-25-2012, 01:42 PM
MarinePMI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by axleR56
Does anybody on here know if switching to the updated valve cover will fix the issue? Guy on minitorque did the swap http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272...nls-r56-25947/
Hmmm....very interesting. Perhaps this is a BMW/MINI backdoor recall; just change the part and don't sell the faulty one anymore. The whole timing of the turbo scrolls was also interesting (one running too hot, the other running normal). Good stuff in that post that leaves you thinking...

Old 10-25-2012, 04:22 PM
TheMINIwhisperer
1st Gear
I sure can, and I will keep you guys updated. But I have already seen a few higher mileage N18's that dont have any cold start or rough running/misfire issues. I hope they stay that way. The only thing I have seen that I believe helps, is the aftermarket oil catch-can systems.

Quick Reply: Engine Carbon Buildup Problem census count