General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a new 2012 Cooper or Cooper S and a few concerns/questions…

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:18 PM
2SorNot2S
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a new 2012 Cooper or Cooper S and a few concerns/questions…

Howdy all -

Giving consideration to ordering up a new 2012 Mini Cooper Hatchback and wondering if the ongoing problems of the past are actually in fact in the past. Specifically the automatic transmission and manual 5 & 6 speed clutch issues. Have these problems been resolved for the 2012 year model? What transmission would you recommend?

Also flip-flopping as to a Cooper or Cooper S… I can see from the Mini site comparison page that they both have the same displacement engine, but the S has a Turbo with corresponding lower compression ratio (+60 more hp) and "upgraded internals", but what those internal upgrades are is not stated. What are the details regarding the engine differences between a standard Cooper and the Cooper S? What are the differences (if any) in the chassis?

I can spec out a standard Non-Sport Package Cooper (Cloth Sport Seats/17” Black Star Bullets/DTC) that will meet my look and wheel requirements for $3,100 less than a like look and wheeled Sport Package S (17” Black Star Bullets included with Sport Package on the S), although the S does provide other niceties that aren’t that important to me (Fog Lights/Spoiler/Xeons/White Markers/Etc…). Is 60hp and the drivability/fun factor worth over $3K?

Finally, is one model more reliable than the other? I would think the Non-S would be more reliable, but that may not be the case.

Thanks for helping me out here and giving me your thoughts and known facts.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've read the standard Cooper suspension is softer than the standard Cooper-S suspension. If you get the sport suspension (like we did) they're pretty much identical.

The extra 60Hp is very noticeable, the S feels a hell of a lot faster. They're both fun in their own way. The Cooper-S engine is very flexible, very easy to drive, the Cooper takes a little more effort to drive fast.

Our S has been more reliable than our Cooper, but that has probably more to do with the Cooper being an 07, the first year of the new models. I wouldn't expect any problems with a 2012.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Suzanne's Chili Red S
4th Gear
Not aware of any auto trans issues on any second gen MINI's.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:18 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Btwyx
From what I've read the standard Cooper suspension is softer than the standard Cooper-S suspension. If you get the sport suspension (like we did) they're pretty much identical.

The extra 60Hp is very noticeable, the S feels a hell of a lot faster. They're both fun in their own way. The Cooper-S engine is very flexible, very easy to drive, the Cooper takes a little more effort to drive fast.

Our S has been more reliable than our Cooper, but that has probably more to do with the Cooper being an 07, the first year of the new models. I wouldn't expect any problems with a 2012.
The Cooper and Cooper S share the same stock suspension. They also have the same sports suspension if you option that. Even the factory John Cooper Works has the same suspension setup as the justa Cooper.

Originally Posted by 2SorNot2S
Giving consideration to ordering up a new 2012 Mini Cooper Hatchback and wondering if the ongoing problems of the past are actually in fact in the past. Specifically the automatic transmission and manual 5 & 6 speed clutch issues. Have these problems been resolved for the 2012 year model? What transmission would you recommend?

Also flip-flopping as to a Cooper or Cooper S… I can see from the Mini site comparison page that they both have the same displacement engine, but the S has a Turbo with corresponding lower compression ratio (+60 more hp) and "upgraded internals", but what those internal upgrades are is not stated. What are the details regarding the engine differences between a standard Cooper and the Cooper S? What are the differences (if any) in the chassis?
The current Cooper doesn't use a 5 speed so not sure where you read about issues with the transmission. Perhaps the previous generation and the CVT trans? If you like manuals, get the manual, otherwise go for the auto box. Simple right?

Originally Posted by 2SorNot2S
Is 60hp and the drivability/fun factor worth over $3K?
Yes (well for me it would be).

Old 10-31-2011, 05:46 AM
2SorNot2S
1st Gear
Thanks for your inputs so far...

I believe the auto transmission issues I've found in my research are the old CVT, but was curious if there are any known issues with the current generation auto?

The tramsmission "itself" issues I've found did seem to be limited to the old 5spd, but I thought there have been clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing issues with the early current generation 6spd manual. Have those issues been worked out as well?

I generally wait until the third year out of a new model so manufacturers can get all the bugs out. That time period is going on 5-6 years for the current generation Mini IIRC. That's a positive in my view.

What other problems have come up in the past and have they been corrected? Any current issues major or minor that exist on the 2010-2012 Mini's?

Keep it coming. I may be one of you next year!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:17 AM
2SorNot2S
1st Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
The Cooper and Cooper S share the same stock suspension. They also have the same sports suspension if you option that. Even the factory John Cooper Works has the same suspension setup as the justa Cooper.
Good to know. Can others confirm this as fact?

Anyone know what the S engine internal upgardes are?

The reason I ask is that I prefer superchargers over turbos (personal preference, although the S I tested did truly have the advertised 1600-5000 torque pull, didn't take it over 5000). I am thinking if I go with what everyone one here calls "Justa"; after the warranty is up I may install an aftermarket supercharger on it. I'm wondering if the Justa 1.6L can handle it?

How about everyones thoughts on run-flats? I'm not too keen on them myself. A neighbor that recently bought a 2011 S got a nail in one and I seem to remember he was moaning and groaning about the cost to replace it. Said you can't plug a nail hole in a runflat; have to buy new at big $$$?

If I go Justa, should I "justa" take the stock 15" wheels without runflats and tire/wheel up in the aftermarket on my own with non-runflats?