General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 AM
tonyp5
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help

I just purchased a 2003 mini with low mileage. The only think I have done to the car since buying is to put gas in it.(89) I woke up this am after driving it yesterday and it would not start. I tried to jump it and see lights come on the dash but not starting of the car, just clicking..

Would this be a result of putting 89 in the tank instead of 91?

Old 05-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
I wouldn't think so because some others here use 89 octane, and even 87, but I'd still recommend that you use the recommended grade of gas for better performance and mileage.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:27 AM
tonyp5
Neutral
Thanks for the reply. I do have a mini s 2003. What would you think is the problem? After putting a charge to it from another car, all the lights on the dash came on but no starting of the car. All i heard was clicking.. COuld be the starter or alternater wouldnt you think?.

I drove it all day yesterday with no problems and then again got up and would not even turn over or no lights

Old 05-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Could also be low battery, bad fuel pump, or fuel pump fuse. There are other current/recent threads on no-starts. See "firefly6's" post today, and of a few days ago.

You could also use the Search feature here. Type in "car won't start" and click. You'll see several obvious "car won't start" threads, along with many other threads with titles that seem irrelevant.

S's want premium fuel. Maybe your car is engaging in a sit down strike until you feed it some.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:55 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Firstly, a MCS requires high test fuel.

Secondly, if your battery is original then you are on borrowed time. Sometimes our MINIs will allow a jump when it's battery is low, most times it won't.

Don't believe the "green" indicator in your battery. Take the battery to an Auto Zone or something and have them test it.

Once you get it it running, enjoy your new wheels.

...Les

Old 05-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Silver253
2nd Gear
premium fuel and battery check ! spot on!

Old 05-29-2011, 04:12 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, when jumping the MINI you may have to let it sit for a good five min before trying to crank. There are a lot of electronics in the car and it takes some time.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:46 PM
tippykayak
5th Gear
There's no way it was the fuel's fault. The engine will perform best with 91 and up, but there's absolutely no relationship between lower octane and a starter failure.