General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Autoblog] Report: Mini Speedster to rely on manual roof

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
[Autoblog] Report: Mini Speedster to rely on manual roof

The sleuths at MotoringFile say that Mini has indicated that the upcoming Mini Speedster will ship with a manual folding top instead of the automatic wizardry of the Cooper Convertible mechanism.

The decision, assuming this report is true, means that the top should both weigh less and be cheaper to produce than an electric alternative – two traits that win big points in our book. Given that the Speedster is supposed to carry a steeper price tag than its Cooper Convertible brethren, however, we have to wonder if buyers will be content with a cover they have to muscle in place themselves. Let's just hope it's a lot more like the top used by the Mazda Miata than the no-longer-in-production Pontiac Solstice.

The Mini Speedster is rumored to be scheduled for introduction at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show alongside its hardtop twin. Details are scarce at the moment, but we'd guess the vehicle will play host to the standard gamut of Mini drivetrain and customization options when it finally touches down.

Original article and commentary at Autoblog...

Old 05-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Derk
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sidebar: Have I missed something? When did it go from being called the Roadster to the Speedster?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 AM
5spoke
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last generation bmw z4 still had the option of a manual top. My brother-in-law had it. It was much quicker to bring up than the power one, you could do it from the driver's seat at a stop light in less than 10 seconds, including locking it down.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:10 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 5spoke
The last generation bmw z4 still had the option of a manual top. My brother-in-law had it. It was much quicker to bring up than the power one, you could do it from the driver's seat at a stop light in less than 10 seconds, including locking it down.

Cool. I've had both manual and power tops. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. My manual top car was a saturn sky which has the same top as the pontiac solstice mentioned in the article. It took less than 15 seconds to put it down and maybe 20 or 25 to put it up but it required getting out of the car so you couldn't do it while at a stoplight. It was a lot lighter though and also cost less to repair or replace.

The power top on my Mini is incredibly convenient. I love it so far. It takes a little longer to put down and up but the fact that I can do either at a stoplight or sitting in rush hour traffic makes up for it.

My biggest worry is if/when it breaks. I've read that they are very expensive to repair or replace and most extended warranties will not cover them.

If I had a choice between a manual or power top, I'm not really sure which one I'd pick. Maybe if the manual one was like the Z4 you mentioned and you could put it down or up without getting out of the car, I'd pick it instead of a power top.