General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let me set the scene...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:06 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me set the scene...

Wintry mix of huge snowflakes in Hampton Roads, VA on Thursday, 12/16 with maybe...maybe...2" max of snow on the road with plenty of panicked drivers.

2006 Justacooper 3rd in line to go through a green light.

The first two cars made it through just fine.

Just as I'm heading into the intersection, I notice a huge, 2.5 TON dumptruck barreling to the intersection from my right.

Thankfully due to some quick manuevering, I was able to AVOID getting hit by the dumptruck...I did feel the WHOOSH as it squeeked past my rear bumper.

In the process of successfully avoiding becoming a hood ornament (ironic since it was a MACK truck!), I hit an ice rut which slammed me HARD into the hard, unforgiving concrete curb and I bounced off the curb, but still stayed in my lane.

No one stopped.

No one.

I was able to drive home safely. After getting onto the highway, traffic was consistently at 30-35mph, if that.

When I got home, I took another look at Schultze.

Obvious damage was done to my front left wheel. I have R84s and the impact bent the rim so hard that it nearly sheared the two "spokes" where they connect to the outermost solid surface.

Took Schultze to the collision center who did the work after the 03/15/08 sneezing accident, but the adjuster wasn't there. They did replace the damaged wheel/tire with my OEM Bridgespoke w/runflat as a courtesy.

Car is at the collision center waiting for an estimate. Schultze has a HORRENDOUS steering wheel shake (actually, a convulsion would be more accurate!) at 45mph.

I'm in a Nissan Versa. (yawn)

I was already planning on buying a new set of tires to replace my Fuzion HRi (205/50R16). Insurance will replace one tire (probably at diminished value due to the remaining tread on the current tire) and I will pay for the other three tires.

Undecided between staying with the Fuzion HRi (it is a GREAT tire); upgrading to the Fuzion VRi (also great reviews on Tire Rack); or the Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V).

I'm also open to other tire suggestions.

Spirited driving; mainly highway; maybe 1-3 snowfalls per year in my area (very little accumulation, most times).

After the 03/15/08 accident, Schultze received the following upgrades:

JCW Leather Steering Wheel (love, love, love!)
Switched from runflats to the Fuzion HRi (205/50R16)
R84s that I had powdercoated white (thanks, Sherry & Fuzzy!)
Megan Coilovers (Dustin rocks, IMHO)
Aero Kit
Replaced all black trim/sideskirts with new--painted to match body color

Just got off the phone with the collision center and they haven't had a chance to look at it yet...they close at 530pm, so hopefully I'll have the info soon.

While waiting, I am looking for tire suggestions...I've had recs from local club members that I could run 215/50R16 & 225/45R16 as alternatives. So...feel free to also make suggestion on tire size.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:13 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SNEEEZY - Erika
Thankfully due to some quick manuevering, I was able to AVOID getting hit by the dumptruck
Sir Alec would be proud!!!!

Old 12-18-2010, 09:09 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!

I just called the collision center to get a status update.

They won't be able to get the car up & broken down until Monday.

On a good note, at least they aren't doing a "rush estimate".

Old 12-18-2010, 12:47 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Very glad you're ok though. I dodged a double length MUNI bus in my Karmann Ghia but ate a bunch of highway barricade curb as a result, ripping out the rocker panel and introducing an insurmountable amount of rust into the chassis that ultimately killed it. But I was injury, so fairs fair.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:03 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Another update:

Apparently they had staff come in today to handle the extra work and Schultze was evaluated.

No damage to the suspension.

The only damage was to the wheel.

The steering wheel vibration was due to an ice ball inside the runflat wheel/tire combo that had been put on as a courtesy. They could hear the ice ball rotating inside the tire.

Just got back from Merchants Tire and they swapped out the tire from the damaged rim and put it onto an extra silver R84 that I already had waiting for a future project.

I pick up Schultze tomorrow and drop off another silver R84 at the powdercoating shop so that I can have a matched set of R84s again.

$20 for the tires to be swapped out.
$75 for the powdercoating.
= less than my $500 deductible.

I already had an alignment planned for when I put new tires on Schultze, so that doesn't factor in at all.

All in all, a $95 loss is better than $500.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SNEEEZY - Erika
The steering wheel vibration was due to an ice ball inside the runflat wheel/tire combo that had been put on as a courtesy. They could hear the ice ball rotating inside the tire.
Glad you are ok and that the repairs are less than you were thinking they might be. The trucks (not semis) are always what scare me when driving in storms around here. The drivers always seem to think they are better drivers than they actually are.

What is an ice ball?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope your MINI gets the fix it deserves.

I don't understand the 215/50/16 and 225/45/16 tires size recommendations for your '06 Cooper. Your current 205/50/16 size is one of the two popular switches from the OEM 195/55/16. The other popular size switch is to 205/55/16s. Those are a little taller than OEM, while your current size is a little shorter, but both seem to work fine from reports I've seen here.

Of the two tire brands you mentioned, I think I'd prefer the Yoko AVID ENVigors, but you can pick among the alternatives according to what your own compromise preferences are. Tire Rack has a great on-line tire comparison and selection set-up, or you can call or email for advice on what would best suit your preferences.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:18 AM
BensMini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you escaped with minimal damge to the MINI and your wallet, congratulations.