General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparison: MINI Cooper S / Infiniti G37

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Neufusion
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comparison: MINI Cooper S / Infiniti G37

How does a Infiniti G37 coupe compare to the MINI Cooper S?

I know it's a faster car, but does anyone have some track time comparisons or something? I'm looking all over the net, but can't seem to find track times for the Cooper and G37 on the same track.

Some people complain they are really heavy, but with higher HP/lb and a higher skidpad rating, can't it do everything better than the MINI? People say the MINI is more fun to drive, but if the g37 is faster and holds more Gs around turns, what is more fun about the MINI??

Old 07-23-2009, 06:42 PM
bballplaya210
2nd Gear
You probably won't find many track numbers for a G37. If somebody wants to track one, they most likely would just buy a Z instead since it's lighter and faster.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:54 AM
sweetborderdog
1st Gear
<How does a Infiniti G37 coupe compare to the MINI Cooper S?>

It doesn't. They are so different in purpose and method that it's hard to imagine the point of a direct comparison. Sort of like how does a condo in Maui compare with a sleeping bag in the back of a truck on the deer lease.

<if the g37 is faster and holds more Gs around turns, what is more fun about the MINI??>

Depends on what you're looking for. Numbers are numbers and driving is driving. The G37 is a superbly competent luxury coupe which coddles and insulates the driver to the nth degree. The MCS is an amazingly athletic sport sedan which uses feedback and rewards driver involvement.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bballplaya210
You probably won't find many track numbers for a G37. If somebody wants to track one, they most likely would just buy a Z instead since it's lighter and faster.
Agreed. A friend of mine tracks his 350z. It's one hell of a beast on the road and the track. But the g37 or even the Z cars are completly differant from the MINI.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Neufusion
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bballplaya210
I found track numbers for a Nissan Versa...

Old 07-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Neufusion
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sweetborderdog
Depends on what you're looking for. Numbers are numbers and driving is driving. The G37 is a superbly competent luxury coupe which coddles and insulates the driver to the nth degree. The MCS is an amazingly athletic sport sedan which uses feedback and rewards driver involvement.
Ya but numbers on an autocross track = driving...

If the g37 can out-accelerate, out-speed, and out-turn the MINI (based on skidpad Gs), what exactly does the MINI do better than the g37?

Old 07-28-2009, 05:30 PM
bballplaya210
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Neufusion
I found track numbers for a Nissan Versa...
A Nissan Versa is a completely different car that is not identical to any other Nissan offerings that I'm aware of. Get a G37 if you want, I'm just saying that it doesn't make any sense to me to spend extra for the luxury version of a car that already has a nearly identical cheaper and faster version. The way I see it is if you want luxury get a G37, if you want performance get a Z.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:19 PM
russgriz
3rd Gear
Sounds like you want a G37 instead of a MINI, but since you asked...

Originally Posted by Neufusion
Ya but numbers on an autocross track = driving...

If the g37 can out-accelerate, out-speed, and out-turn the MINI (based on skidpad Gs), what exactly does the MINI do better than the g37?
...save me over $10,000...for one thing.
...saves me 10MPG city and 10MPG highway for another.
...allows for much more customization.

My MCS, custom ordered with every option I wanted (which was a lot) cost me $27,000. The G37 starts at $36,000. Once I add a couple options like the ones on my MCS, it quickly jumps to $37,000. Of course they throw in some other options that I don't want. For what I want out of a car, I'll keep the 10Gs. Or if we are strictly going on performance, a Cobalt SS kicks some butt for cheap.

The G37 looks like a great car though.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:33 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Russgris is completly right. Yes the G37 is an amazing car. I would love to own one but it seems like everyone and there brother has one. You can pick up a used g35 rather cheap but you still don't get that customizabilty that you do with the MINI. And yes we all have MINIs but other than people on here I know I only know one person that has a MINI. I know way more than that that have a G.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:39 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering I traded my 2008 G37 in for a Clubman S, I might be able to provide some insight. I never tracked the car, but I had fun on Skyline Drive and 211 I've also owned a 2005 350Z, so I can compare the Z vs the G37 if needed.

1. Price difference between my G37 and my Clubman was about $16K. I paid MSRP on both (my G37 was the 6th at the dealer, IIRC).
2. G37 is RWD, V6, heavy vs FWD 4-cyl not as heavy
3. The G37 is more luxury than the 350/370Z. Back seat (only usable for kids IMO), sunroof, trunk. But my 350Z held as much or more in the hatch.
4. Big difference for me is: The G37 had no 'soul'. I had more fun tossing my VW GTI around than the G37. After 18 or so months of ownership, I still didn't get excited driving it. Can't explain it. But the Mini, on the other hand, is fun to drive each and every time I get in it.

I can tell you re: handling, stock vs stock, I trust myself and the Mini more pushing into corners and twisties than I did the G37. I haven't taken the Mini to Skyline Drive / 211 yet, but that needs to happen soon for comparison's sake.

As others have said, if you want to track a car, look at the 350/370Z instead of the G35/37. The extras you get in the G (sunroof, back seat, etc) are niceties that add weight. The Z seems to be tuned more for performance, and - to me - was more fun to drive than the G. Probably why my fiance cried when I traded the Z but was more 'meh' when I got rid of the G

Talking numbers is like talking specs on audio equipment. While one piece might 'sound' better on paper, it's the ear that makes the final judgment. With cars, the 'seat of the pants' is a better perspective than a spec sheet. You might want to compare a VW GTI instead of a G37, it'll be a lot closer. (I also had a 2007 GTI that was sold when I got the Mini, and I miss that car - don't miss the G37.)

Enjoy your quest for choosing the right car for you
-Jim

Last edited by carman63; 07-29-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-29-2009, 09:53 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it's great that there are these intangibles like "fun factor" and "exciting" that just don't make that fact sheet. Yeah, you would think that with more HP and pulling higher Gs the G37 would be more fun, but it just isn't.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:28 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just got back from a weekend of driving in the Sierra Nevadas, with two friends. We drove all the passes and fun roads south of Tahoe, including Hwy's 89, 88, 4, 108, and 395. Great fun. One friend was driving an older Miata and the other a very well kept G35. The G35 friend knows how to drive and has done many track days in his previous car which was a Corvette.

What I observed was that while the G35 was indeed a bit quicker, my 06 JCW cabriolet could pretty much hang with him in all the fast stuff like straight lines and fast sweepers, though he did start to pull away slowly. But when it came to the really twisty stuff like going up and over Sonora pass, my little Mini was the quicker car. I think that the Mini is best in the tighter, twistier stuff and that in the bigger, faster sweepers, it does a fine job nevertheless.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Neufusion
4th Gear
Thanks for the feedback.

I've personally made motorcycles pull over going through the twisties at Palomar Mountain, so I know the MINI is a turning machine.

I've also thrown myself into turns that scared the **** out of me. I can only imagine how scary it would be throwing an extra 1000+ lbs into the same turn...