General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do we intimidate non-enthusiasts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Q-4000
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90% of Mini drivers don't wave personaly I don't wave either thats more of a Jeep thing. a quick headlight flash is more my stile for the Mini and I have noticed most will give you a flash back

Old 01-21-2009, 07:55 PM
zonedguy
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FranticFreddy
OK, Tonight my wife and I were out in my MINI. We are tooling down the road (yes tooling, it translates into motoring in a different dialect) and we caught up to another MINI. As we past my wife went to put the window down and wave. But, once again, nothing. My wife remarked "It's just another old fart" as she rolled her eyes at me one more time. .
NJ/NY MINI drivers seem to mostly be uneducated about waves. When I see a MINI, I hit my Sport button, roll up to them, give my horn to short bursts (provided its appropriate for traffic) and that usually gets a look and a response to my wave. After that I zoom off! Weeeeeee!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:00 PM
H2o racer
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I wave at other minis, and in the short time that I've had my car, I've had many wave back or flash lights.

I wave, I am a waver, I have been an avid motorcyclist most of my life and when on a bike, waving to another rider is part of the motorcycling experience. So it just seems natural to wave at another mini enthusiast.

Funny, took my girl for a ride on the bike down HWY 1 last weekend, and found myself waving at mini's while on the bike.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 PM
LtRex
4th Gear
Originally Posted by overheadcam11
No offense to anyone, but I do not wave or wave back to any stock minis. I only wave to modded minis because those are the enthusiasts. Driving a stock mini is just like driving any other car and there is no need to wave.

Wow! And you actually posted that! Simply amazed......

And that was your 11th post!

Last edited by LtRex; 01-21-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:29 AM
on2wheels
3rd Gear
I always wave to other Mini drivers regardless. On the way home the other night I actually got two waves in two blocks and an unsolicited wave from a cute girl in a Honda Fit.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Browser_23
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Q-4000
90% of Mini drivers don't wave personaly I don't wave either thats more of a Jeep thing. a quick headlight flash is more my stile for the Mini and I have noticed most will give you a flash back
That's nice but in California it is now illegal to flash your lights like that.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:13 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
If an enthusiast is one who covers the car in badges/decals/and stripes to show some type of comradery...count me out

That is by no means an enthusiast to me... I see tons of stock Minis with all sorts of gaudy stuck on things...more money than taste IMO...

If i see one that is very clean (i mean taken care of...the opposite of what that little diagram in the owners manual shows about showing off your dirty car lol) and usually modified in someway ill most likely throw a wave, and maybe catch up to check it out, but other than that, ill act as if i didnt see ya haha

Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No offense to anyone, but I do not wave or wave back to any stock minis. I only wave to modded minis because those are the enthusiasts. Driving a stock mini is just like driving any other car and there is no need to wave.
Man are you ever off base. Not everyone has the mad modder bug, but that doesn't mean they don't love their MINI's.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:27 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's all BMW marketing's fault. They hyped MINIs based on power and performance and that attracted certain types of owners and skewed the overall enthusiast demographic. Think of a classic Mini. It didn't matter how much hp you had...or mods!! In fact, buying a MINI for fuel economy and practicality seemed absolutely natural.....as it should for the MINI. I say we take back the MINI and reinstate once again into the realm of the normal where a proper Mini belongs!!!!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:52 PM
mimini1
3rd Gear
Gee I am glad to know if I don't modify or butcher my cars I am not an enthusiast and that a stock MINI is just any car. Offense taken.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Jayme
1st Gear

Last edited by Jayme; 01-23-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:38 AM
LtRex
4th Gear

Well being the curious guy I am, I kinda checked. OVERHEADCAM11 is a 17 year old kid, only been driving for less that two years so who is he to know what a true enthusiast is. Earlier this month he was asking how much a pulley install was!

He is just like most every kid his age. He has a cool car and will butcher the crap out of it as he learns his way around the car. In the mean time, he should not act like a snob, cause everyone knows he is just a kid.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:57 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
How do you know what's under the hood of that sleeper?

Old 01-23-2009, 07:00 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Browser_23
That's nice but in California it is now illegal to flash your lights like that.
And that actually stops you from doing it?

Old 01-23-2009, 07:07 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LtRex

He is just like most every kid his age. He has a cool car and will butcher the crap out of it as he learns his way around the car. In the mean time, he should not act like a snob, cause everyone knows he is just a kid.

Take it easy on the kid. You were probably just like that over 30 years ago. It takes time to learn that loose fiberglass panels, spoilers and airdams flapping in the wind don't make for a cool ride.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:22 AM
LtRex
4th Gear
And what about those aluminum spoilers that they screw into the trunk lid of their Civics! Ground affect kits that are not painted and remain white, that is another cool look!

And as for when I was his age, I had a 67 Chevelle SS - BONE STOCK ! None of the other kids would wave!

Old 01-23-2009, 07:48 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LtRex
And what about those aluminum spoilers that they screw into the trunk lid of their Civics! Ground affect kits that are not painted and remain white, that is another cool look!

And as for when I was his age, I had a 67 Chevelle SS - BONE STOCK ! None of the other kids would wave!
Noone was waving at my Ford Anglia either.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:31 AM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
Just to point out something.

It's not a matter of you waving, but why do others not wave back?

And yes there are two types of MINI owners, Those that own a MINI and those that just own another small car.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:57 PM
mimini1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by FranticFreddy
OK, Tonight my wife and I were out in my MINI. We are tooling down the road (yes tooling, it translates into motoring in a different dialect) and we caught up to another MINI. As we past my wife went to put the window down and wave. But, once again, nothing. My wife remarked "It's just another old fart" as she rolled her eyes at me one more time.

No big deal, I am use to going past other MINIs and not getting a wave or anything like that. And it's not just "Old Farts" either. So I got to thinking about this and noticed that when I get a wave it's from another MINI that has decided to "Stand Out".

What do I mean "Stand Out"?

My MINI has custom stripes, modified exhaust, rally window clings that almost cover the drivers side passenger window and I have a grill badge on the grill. Not that I think this is attention grabbing but it does "Stand Out" from the crowd.
These other "Non Waving" MINI drivers don't have anything other then stock on their MINI.

So, tonight it came to me as I passed this other MINI that my MINI might be intimidating him/her. And I guess the question is , How do they perceive us enthusiast? Are our MINIs intimidating?

Not that it matters, but I hope so .
Maybe the other MINI drivers are not waving back because they are laughing at your ricer wanabe MINI too hard to wave back.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No one was waving at my Ford Anglia either.
Hells bells I'd wave at an Anglia.

but why do others not wave back?
If it is the old farts maybe it's their carpel tunnel or could be I had a donut in my hand & I was afraid to drop it.

I wave at everyone. Modded or stock. I'm an equal opportunity waver.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:03 PM
bartski
2nd Gear
I did better today.. one wave, no return. Oh well.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mimini1
Maybe the other MINI drivers are not waving back because they are laughing at your ricer wanabe MINI too hard to wave back.
The OP's list of mods(stripes,grill badges & exhaust) hardly qualify as ricer wannabe.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
The OP's list of mods(stripes,grill badges & exhaust) hardly qualify as ricer wannabe.
Yah, how that would qualify as 'ricer' is beyond me. People throw that around way too often without having any idea what it means.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:22 PM
mimini1
3rd Gear
I waved at a MINI today and just got a confused look back at me . I thought he must not really be a car enthusiast.Then I realized I was in my MX5.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:50 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mimini1

Quick Reply: Do we intimidate non-enthusiasts?