General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nOOb looking to get in a mini is this overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Aerochili
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nOOb looking to get in a mini is this overpriced?

I'd like to make a formal intro but typically i am a bit of a lurker on web forums. thus i wont bore you with my details. i have been toying with the idea of trading my 02 civic si for a 03-05 MCS. unfortunately this site search feature doesn't seem to work well or i just haven't figured out the proper terms to search for. I'd basically like to see 30ish mpg highway at 70-75mph because i have a 70 mile commute to work (round trip) and i hate my civic with a passion.

the car in question. http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/min...i&distance=300

1. is this car overpriced? i really can't tell at all what it is packaged with because i am such a noob.
2. can you tell what it is equipped with? i called the dealer and they were no help at all.
3. does it have HID's / xenons? i don't see the headlight washer so is that a negative?
4. when i get to the dealership to look at the car can you suggest things to look for that would tell me how it was packaged and if it has any common defects. i know the 03's get better mpg because of gear box but the later models had the wrinkles ironed out.

any links to topics or keywords to search would be huge. TIA

btw is there a spell check? and sorry for such a demanding 1st post.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:02 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
I'd say that although the mileage is okay, CARFAX doesn't have a single record of this MINI since it was offered for sale in June 2005. Might want to also check with a Service Desk at a MINI dealership to see if it was in for any repair work. The service rep should be able to pull it up from the last 7 characters of the VIN. (They may also be able to tell you all the packages installed) If they still don't tell you anything, let me know and I'll call the local rep here and try to get the info for you, if you're still interested.

In another direction, you can get an 05 MCS with a couple months warranty left for cheaper through the NAM marketplace :D Even driven to you! Have a looksee!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=139112

Of course, that's just one of many MINIs you'll find, with the added bonus of knowing the folks offering them up for sale are MINI enthusiasts who know their vehicle inside and out! Good luck with your purchase!

Last edited by wbarnhill; 06-07-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:35 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I tried to get as much info as I can, and I could be wrong but this is what I determined:

-The car has a aero kit, obvious from the body kit.
-The car MIGHT have a convenience package because of the sunroof, which means it MAY have a on board computer that explains avg. mileage, avg. speed and such, and it MAY have the climate control.
-I don't think it has the sports package because it comes with 16" rims, where a sport package I believe covers 17" rims and xenon HID's. So I don't think you will have HID's on this car.
A 2004 MCS has pretty good reviews, because a lot of earlier problems are fixed. With only 20K miles on it, I have reasons to believe this car was babied. And it also still has it's original warranty. The price is about right, although i think you should try to talk it down a bit like a grand or grand and a half.

My grade. A-

If I could afford it, I'd probably buy it, of course after knowing it's accident free/problem free, free tank of gas and etc.
I bought my 2004 MCS back in Nov. for 15,800. It had 50K miles on it, so it's out of warranty. It had the convenience and cold package. Accident free. The aero kit it self is about a good thousand at the minimum, and with about 30K less mileage factored in, do you think 5K more is worth the mileage and aero kit? It's all up to you.

Last edited by MrCooperS; 06-08-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:17 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
A used '05 MCS would be far preferable as they introduced a close ratio gearbox in that year that substantially improves performance.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:52 AM
reyd1
4th Gear
If you look closely at the headlights, the projectors for the Xenon's are not there. So halogen for this MINI Looks good tho!