General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor City MINI Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:17 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor City MINI Experience?

Hello- I'm new here. I am trying to find out more info. about Motor City Mini. So far whenever it's been mentioned on here it sounds bad.... I live in MI and they are currently our only dealership (boo). I had emailed and gotten no respose, called to set up a test drive (I live in Ann Arbor and it's about an hour away) and they seemed rushed, not overly pleasant. This is my first new car buying experience and I want it to be as fun as the MINI itself and don't want to get involved with a bad dealer. My brother-in-laws parents ordered a leased 08 MC from Motor City and seemed pleased but I'm questioning it... all out of state dealers are c. 3-4 hours away though. Experiences? Advice?
It would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!

Old 05-14-2008, 12:13 PM
MBR
2nd Gear
I bought my MINI from Motor City a couple of years ago. The only problem I had was when I was purchasing. The car I put a purchase order on was already built and on a ship. Three weeks after I signed the purchase order I received a call from my MA and he told me the car was going to a dealer in Illinois and that they couldn't do a dealer trade because they (Motor City) had nothing to trade.

Anyways, I ordered the car with all the options the already built one had except I changed the color.

I have no problems servicing the car and the employees are always willing to help.

I know that MINI of Grand Rapids is opening some time, however, I don't know when they will open. So at least at some point us in Michigan will have the option of two dealerships.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:19 PM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Thank you MBR I appreciate your feedback! I am new to MINI's as well as to buying a brand new car. It's exciting and nerve-wracking! I actually called Sharpe earlier today to see when they were opening the MINI portion of the dealership (Grand Rapids) and I was told "By August 1st" the woman I spoke to seemed very nice but I am not sure I want to wait that long! Guess I will take Motor City as well as a MINI out for a test drive on Monday!

Old 05-14-2008, 12:28 PM
MBR
2nd Gear
For sure, you might also want to check out www.michiganmini.org

I'm sure you will get some more opinions on the dealerships in MI and Ohio etc.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:27 PM
devexpert
1st Gear
@DanceForMINI how did Motor City Mini work out for you?

I found they don't respond to email inquires at all. When I stopped by for test drive they could care less. Totally not interested. I thought that was really bad.

I guess that's what you get with monopoly, only MINI dealer in MI. I hate to give them my money but what choice do we have...

Old 05-28-2008, 08:13 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Well I was really disapointed at their lack of response to my emails as well, and the way I was treated on the phone so I didn't even bother going there for my test drive (I was nice enough to cancel beforehand). I received emails from Classic Mini in Ohio and they seemed very nice so I called and ordered with them instead, same day, over the phone. I haven't even test drove one but I don't think that will be a problem, I have been IN a Mini before (granted it was parked). Anyway I ordered with Jared from Classic Mini and he was totally no pressure. The dealership is 3 hours from where I am (Ann Arbor) but despite Motor City being the only one in MI, I am not going to bother with a dealership I am unhappy or unsure of at the start. I know other people said their experiences were fine with Motor City but I was less than thrilled and this SHOULD be a fun process and something I want to feel good about. Anyway pretty soon we WILL have a choice, there is a MINI dealership opening with Sharpe (BMW?) in Grand Rapids, I have called them, the MINI portion opens in August and they seem nice and attentive. Hopefully Motor City will kick up their act now that they have some competition!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:22 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
We have several MINIs in the club from Classic and all of the owners have been nothing but pleased with the service. Congrats again on the order, and look forward to seeing you at some events!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:47 AM
devexpert
1st Gear
@DanceForMINI, thank you for letting me know. Unfortunately I must test-drive first so have no other option than to deal with them. I am just shocked at lack of professionalism at this dealership...

Old 05-28-2008, 11:33 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
You have a choice! Do what you feel you have to do, but remember that money talks. If you order now from GR MINI you'll be able to pick up your car at their grand opening the first of August. You may have to wait a couple extra weeks, but you'll be able to show off to everyone. I'll be there!! Patrick MINI has a good rep, so does Classic. Or order from one of the larger dealers that will ship. And of course, if someone at MCM treats you with respect, give them your business.
GR MINI does currently have several MINIs available for test drives. When we were there last they had an '08 JCW w/ auto and several used and the sales manager emailed me a couple weeks back that they were expecting a Clubman within a couple weeks. They can't sell the new ones, but they've been trying hard to keep a decent pre-owned MINI inventory, too.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:23 PM
devexpert
1st Gear
Yeah I agree 100%, vote with cash.

Problem is I need more time with car to be sure that it will work out for us. I am looking at convertible, and love it, but I must make sure that my daughter that will be riding in back likes it too. And I can't determine that based on single test drive.

I can't risk buying the car (that I love) but then later find out that my daughter does not like riding back there at which point I'd just have to get rid of it... Too much risk...

So, in short, I know I will get the Mini, Cabrio is first choice, but if I determine that does not fly with family I'll just get hard-top...

Old 05-28-2008, 12:37 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys - do all the newbie car buyers and especially Mini car buyers a huge favor...try and report the poor service at that dealership. I think there's a way to report it on MiniUSA.com, but however you manage to do it, don't let them get away with it! I understand being busy and stressed out, but c'mon! This really does need to be a good experience, and these dealers are taking our fascination for granted.

Ok. I'm off my soapbox now!