General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINI Cooper plunges 80 feet from I-4 off-ramp, one fatality.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might be time for a merge. I've counted three threads about this so far.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:27 PM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIP-- That is very sad..

Old 03-13-2008, 01:38 PM
SDKmann
1st Gear
I wonder what happened if he never applied the brakes, my first thoughts is that he may have been suicidal but he also could have passed out or had some kind of medical problem. Either way thats sad.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:58 PM
MDK
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIgirly
They have said they don't believe alcohol to be involved, and are leaning toward the theory of a possible health problem. Two eyewitness were on hand and noted the vehicle did not brake before hitting the guard-rail, which backs up the possibility of a health problem. He was wearing his seatbelt.

I was thinking that might come out as I did not see any skid marks befroe the curb and the line from the ramp is wrong if the guy was just hot *******- I would think he would have tried to power slide onto Universal from the ramp and thus his car would have slid sideways into the wall but from the pics it looks as if he went head on into the curb and wall from the ramp. I do wonder about the swerving and cutting off other drivers which would indicate he was alert at that point. I knew someone that was trying to drive himself to the hospitol while having a heart attack-he also made it to the off ramp before he lost conscience (sp?) and unfortunatly it ended in a firery crash.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Roeri
3rd Gear
I'm thinking it has to be medical related. Simply because he was seatbelted. This would mean to me that since there were no apparent attempt to unrestrain himself, that he may have either blacked out or passed away prior to the plunge into the water.

We can only speculate until there is more information, however we can also hope that he had passed on without pain or fear prior to the accident.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:03 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roeri
I'm thinking it has to be medical related. Simply because he was seatbelted. This would mean to me that since there were no apparent attempt to unrestrain himself, that he may have either blacked out or passed away prior to the plunge into the water.
Based on the 80 ft drop, the MINI would have smashed onto the surface of the water at nearly 50 mph downward vertical velocity in just a bit over two seconds of falling. Not much time to comprehend what was happening, let alone react...and it would be a pretty severe impact at that fall velocity. Not very survivable.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Indeed tragic.

I wonder, though--mechanical failure? Tire? The paper didn't say what year the MINI was, but there was a recent thread about control arms snapping in the earlier MINIs--the OP had a very close call, and a few others had had theirs break, too.

My grandfather had a stroke while driving in the Idaho mountains. His foot jammed on the accelerator and they crashed through the guard rail. He died; my grandmother survived, although she was trapped for 8 hours because no one saw the crash.

Medical and mechanical problems happen, I'm afraid. This really doesn't sound like suicide, and they've apparently ruled out drinking. Not a typical speed story, either.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Eyewitnesses said they never even saw 37-year-old Scot A. Morrison's brake lights when he sped off the Universal exit along I-4."
Mini's are good, but they can't defeat the laws of physics. Be careful out there.
-s-

Old 03-14-2008, 03:17 AM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
So sad so sad. I really hope they can find an answer for this tragic event. I hate to think he did it on purpose.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:14 PM
jimzbobs
2nd Gear
man that sucks...but does sound like something was wrong with him if he never attempted to stop..could have been an emergency, for him to be driving like that..but only as my speculations.
p.s poor one for the hommies..

Old 03-14-2008, 07:17 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It appears to me that he had a medical glitch. I've heard of people having heart attacks (or whatever), then the car goes in a strange direction at full speed. If he was in control, why go over the median? Keep an eye on the medical report, as in NOT dying from drowning, impact, etc. This just doesn't look like a speed demon.

Still tragic, say a prayer.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:23 PM
R Bandito
Neutral
Hi folks- I found your site as I was looking for info on my friend Scot. I joined to say thanks for your kind words. His late Dad used to own a couple of car dealerships and he gave Scot his Mini before he passed a few years ago.
Anyway, thanks again and I'll let you know if we hear anything about how and why. Be safe out there... Rick B. VT

Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 AM
R Bandito
Neutral
bump for the Mini fans...

Old 03-17-2008, 10:17 AM
PlayPlay
6th Gear
Thanks for the info R_Bandito....so sorry to hear about your friend...my condolences...

Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, thanks for dropping in and condolences for losing a friend.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:50 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SDKmann
I wonder what happened if he never applied the brakes, my first thoughts is that he may have been suicidal but he also could have passed out or had some kind of medical problem. Either way thats sad.
Originally Posted by Roeri

We can only speculate until there is more information, however we can also hope that he had passed on without pain or fear prior to the accident.
Originally Posted by jimzbobs
man that sucks...but does sound like something was wrong with him if he never attempted to stop..could have been an emergency, for him to be driving like that..but only as my speculations.
p.s poor one for the hommies..
Originally Posted by 89AKurt
It appears to me that he had a medical glitch. I've heard of people having heart attacks (or whatever), then the car goes in a strange direction at full speed. If he was in control, why go over the median? Keep an eye on the medical report, as in NOT dying from drowning, impact, etc. This just doesn't look like a speed demon.

Still tragic, say a prayer.
Come on guys....Do you guys really own a MINI?.....It is completely plausible that there was nothing wrong with him besides his judgement and ability to negotiate the curve. Honestly I chuckled when I read...though the outcome was not funny

"Eyewitnesses said they never even saw ...... brake lights when he sped off the Universal exit along I-4."

Because this sounds like every ramp or curve I take (except the outcome)...pushing the car hard through the cloverleaf or on a diminishing radius ramp is what alot of enthusiasts make frequent practice of....It is the very essence of what makes the car fun to drive. There is no mention of the speed but judging from what little of the scene I saw I would bet that excessive speed is a better description than spirited driving I would be suprised if this was nothing more

BTW....I just have to point this out because it really bugs me ...The eyewitnesses were NOT cutoff! In order to be cutoff the cutter has to be going SLOWER than he who is cut....Cutoff is when you are moving FASTER and a slower vehicle moves to be an obstruction and you must react or there will be an accident....If a faster vehicle moves in front of you there is no action needed by either party to avoid anything, how close they come to your bumper in the lane change is irrelevant because they are moving away from you at a higher rate of speed....I doubt the eyewitneses were cutoff