General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My MINI wanted to off-road

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:14 AM
OrionLTD
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My MINI wanted to off-road

I just got home. This really happened.
This evening, it is very cold up through the Cajon summit here in Victorville. On my way home from work, my NAV tells me of a slowdown on I15 at Oak Hills Road. OK, So I expect a delay. My NAV decides to offer me another route around it. The NAV told me to exit at the 138 and proceed on this county road. I have taken the 138 up to Crestline before but never knew of a county road about 2 miles off of the 15 interchange. OK, so I follow. Come to find out, it is a dirt road. I'm thinking Should I or shouldn't I....

So I follow the NAV. I am on this wet bumpy dirt road. There are small piles of snow on the sides of the road. I'm going nice and slow but not too slow so I don't get stuck in the mud. It was amazing. Traction Control kept me from spinning out and the mini LOVED to go offroading. The car handled beautifully. I eventually made it back onto pavement and I heard all of the mud leaving my undercarriage. Before pulling into my garage, I stopped by one of those spray it yourself car washes and quickly rinsed off my baby. Mostly because she deserved it after a wonderful drive. Partly so I could hide the evidence from my wife. It was the greatest offroad EVER.
The suspension handled the road well. The traction control was AMAZING.

I'm tired. Goodnight and happy motoring

Old 12-09-2007, 10:36 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the good fortune of living just north of the Black Forest. Weekend joy for me is making a run through the hills there, over the hills and through the woods. Amazing place.

I tend to scope out an area ahead of time, using Google Earth. I take a few notes -- names of villages to use for navigation.

But, from there, it's up to the OEM GPS and whatever detours I want to take.

And yes, some days I end up off road. It's bizarre, and sometimes unnerving, but awesome. Just awesome.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:54 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I took Mt. Madonna Road over the Santa Cruz Mts recently without realizing it's dirt/gravel almost the entire way. It was a blast, and the MINI did great! We passed up a big Toyota Land Cruiser that had pulled off to the side of the road, the driver looking worried while we just cruised on by.