General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SF Bay Area Freeways

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:41 PM
mini pooper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of our members is asking for our help and giving us warning about a condition on the roads. Vince Blaskovich "Racer Pops" just sent me this message and I thought it was worthy of posting. Please send messages to the right people demanding they correct this situation and to take responsibility for it. If you know of anyone that can help, please pass this along to them. This seemed to be a good place to post this:

"So Norm I'm also writing you to help me with Caltrans. We have a stretch of highway that runs from Candlestick Park, now 3 comm park, to Ceaser Chavez Blvd. Caltrans is regrading and repaving the freeway and doing a sloppy job. One sign up that says only Road Work Ahead. What it doesn't say is careful you shouldn't even drive here if you love your car! My car was pelted with a million, ok maybe 20,000 little stones. I've incurred now $7,000 worth of damage to my car due to the sloppy work. The Service Supervisor at SF BMW, for Minis as well as some of the mechanics have also run into said rockstorm.

And to make matters worse CalTrans switched sides, first northbound than south. Hadn't a clue about the switch until I got on the freeway. I entered at Ceaser Chavez, right were they started the work in the opposite direction. This time I got into the slow lane, but too late. Double damage, even my rims were pitted this last time. The only spot not damaged was the rear bumper and boot lid! I have to file two claims with AAA, luckily it's only comprehensive and a $100 deduct. for each. Pits in my plastic body moulding, pillars, new windscreen, just had it repaired last month! Almost a complete body repaint.

CalTrans is doing a really sloppy job, so I thought I'd write you and maybe we could put up an emergency post on the website. I've been told we can file claims with CalTrans - the limit is $5,000 because it's likely that one has to go to court, and that's the small claims limit. My car is up to about $7k damage. No matter how slowly you drive on the freeway, there's no avoiding body damage. This will be going on for a week or so more.

I have all the CalTrans contact info. I called Channel 2 KTVU and spoke with Jamie jamie.bankson@ktvu.com in the news room. She seemed interested. She'd received one other email about it, and said if she heard from a few more people, she'd send out a news crew to do a story about it. I went back one of those days in a rental and got videos of the dust storm and flying debris - even the big bump where the destructo area ends. Sends your car flying and does untold front end damage.

Can't believe how @$%^&* CalTrans is. If some more people get in touch, it might be easier to hold CalTrans accountable.

I have an '05 Cabrio S in jet black - with pits - that I love more than anything. Haven't gotten a profile up on the site yet.

Regards,
Pops"

Old 09-17-2007, 02:06 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Thanks for the heads up, Norm. If I head down to my sister's anytime soon, I'll be sure to go down the EastBay side rather than down 101.

Of course, I've already got lots of rock chips... maybe I could go down 101 and then get the front end repainted on CalTrans' dime.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:44 AM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
Hey pooper:

So Racer Pop's car needed a paint job as well? That really sux. I know exactly which stretch he's talking about. I drove by Monster Park one day and I could hear thousands of tiny rocks showing the whole car. It ain't matter which lane I was in. Good Heaven it was the company car that could take some what of a beating. This summer has the worst road work quality ever I could remember in the past few years. I would not believe my eyes when I was driving towards the Bay Bridge on another day when CalTran had the nerve to leave the road opened as is. Letting thousands of people sustain damage to their properties.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is "Monster Park" what they're calling Candlestick these days?

Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Monster Cable bought the naming rights to the ballpark. What was it before, 3Com? I'll always know it as Candlestick.

Candlestick was right around where I got the bullseye on my windshield (writeup of results with repair kit here). The roadwork has been moving almost daily and the bad spots have been shifting. There are still scattered stretches in both directions on 101 where they are grinding and resurfacing.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:41 AM
trico
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini pooper
One of our members is asking for our help and giving us warning about a condition on the roads. Vince Blaskovich "Racer Pops" just sent me this message and I thought it was worthy of posting. Please send messages to the right people demanding they correct this situation and to take responsibility for it. If you know of anyone that can help, please pass this along to them. This seemed to be a good place to post this:

"So Norm I'm also writing you to help me with Caltrans. We have a stretch of highway that runs from Candlestick Park, now 3 comm park, to Ceaser Chavez Blvd. Caltrans is regrading and repaving the freeway and doing a sloppy job. One sign up that says only Road Work Ahead. What it doesn't say is careful you shouldn't even drive here if you love your car! My car was pelted with a million, ok maybe 20,000 little stones. I've incurred now $7,000 worth of damage to my car due to the sloppy work. The Service Supervisor at SF BMW, for Minis as well as some of the mechanics have also run into said rockstorm.

And to make matters worse CalTrans switched sides, first northbound than south. Hadn't a clue about the switch until I got on the freeway. I entered at Ceaser Chavez, right were they started the work in the opposite direction. This time I got into the slow lane, but too late. Double damage, even my rims were pitted this last time. The only spot not damaged was the rear bumper and boot lid! I have to file two claims with AAA, luckily it's only comprehensive and a $100 deduct. for each. Pits in my plastic body moulding, pillars, new windscreen, just had it repaired last month! Almost a complete body repaint.

CalTrans is doing a really sloppy job, so I thought I'd write you and maybe we could put up an emergency post on the website. I've been told we can file claims with CalTrans - the limit is $5,000 because it's likely that one has to go to court, and that's the small claims limit. My car is up to about $7k damage. No matter how slowly you drive on the freeway, there's no avoiding body damage. This will be going on for a week or so more.

I have all the CalTrans contact info. I called Channel 2 KTVU and spoke with Jamie jamie.bankson@ktvu.com in the news room. She seemed interested. She'd received one other email about it, and said if she heard from a few more people, she'd send out a news crew to do a story about it. I went back one of those days in a rental and got videos of the dust storm and flying debris - even the big bump where the destructo area ends. Sends your car flying and does untold front end damage.

Can't believe how @$%^&* CalTrans is. If some more people get in touch, it might be easier to hold CalTrans accountable.

I have an '05 Cabrio S in jet black - with pits - that I love more than anything. Haven't gotten a profile up on the site yet.

Regards,
Pops"
If you have not filed a Small Claims action this year, then the first action may be for up to $7,500.00 FWIW. However, since CalTrans is a Governmental entity you must first file a governmental claim and have it ignored or rejected before you can sue CalTrans.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:40 AM
mini pooper
6th Gear
Whether or not anyone files a claim or suit, we should all email jamie.bankson@ktvu.com and let her know that there are several others that have experienced this problem. If anyone knows anyone at Cal Trans we should let them know as well.

Randy are you up for a class action suit?

Hope they get all this fixed soon. Especially before September 5-7, 2008 Magical Mystery MINI Tour 2008 in San Francisco. Could not resist an opportunity to plug this event.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:03 AM
trico
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini pooper
Whether or not anyone files a claim or suit, we should all email jamie.bankson@ktvu.com and let her know that there are several others that have experienced this problem. If anyone knows anyone at Cal Trans we should let them know as well.

Randy are you up for a class action suit?

Hope they get all this fixed soon. Especially before September 5-7, 2008 Magical Mystery MINI Tour 2008 in San Francisco. Could not resist an opportunity to plug this event.

Don't know if you can sue the government in a class action but doubt it - sovereign immunity and all. I just don't do these types of suits.

Yes!!! contact ktvu. Also try contacting these guys:

California Commuters Alliance

You might also complain here to the CA DOT

Complaints about street or road conditions, around Santa Clara County at least, can be made by telephone to the following CalTrans number:
(408) 436-0930

Norm, GREAT PLUG!!!! I'm excited about this event.