General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new or used

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 07:05 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
new or used

I cant decide, I want a less refined car, I'm driving an m3 now, and I want to downsize to a car that's more fun, without breaking the speed limit by a factor of 2

I just cant decide if I want to go turbo or sc, it seems like the SC can make 230 hp with mods, which is plenty for a FWD car

it comes down to the more refined ride (worse?!?) and better mileage on the new 07 mcs, along with 10k more on thne price tag

thoughts?

Old 07-03-2007, 09:14 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lots of threads on the '07 vs the '06 and prior (R56 vs R53). The "improvements" (de-provements to you, perhaps?) are incremental, both are go-kartish compared to your M3. Only way to tell is to drive 'em back to back, easiest way to do that is to drive an '07 tin-top then an '07 convertible, since the convertible is still made on the R53 chassis.

I drive my '06 (stock Checkmate MCS, but a strong one) and the '07 MCS on the track last winter back to back. Compared to my '06, the '07 has
- better seats
- marginally better ergonomics (they're both quirky)
- marginally better power, noticable especially between 2000 and 2700RPM
- no supercharger whine :(
- a more bulbous hood (I'm partial to the R53's looks)
- more refined ride (moderately noticable on the track, didn't drive it on rough pavement - but then again the '07 I drove was on stock 16" wheels and stock S suspension, while mine's the MCS "sport" suspension on 16" snows)

I actually really liked the '07 interior, it looks crappy, kind of GM-ish in pictures but in the metal it really works.

Hope that helps. If it were me I'd go for a lightly-loved '06, perhaps grab a few aftermarket options in the bargain. Normal used-car buying rules apply (mechanical insp., carfax, etc).