General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so many Minis for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:28 PM
olcorral
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why so many Minis for sale?

I've been checking around looking at various places on the web for used Minis for sale. ebay, Autotrader and others that I've Googled for instance have several lightly used Minis.
Now, what I've seen in my searching is quite a lot of low milage, 2006-2005 Mini's for sale. Some with fewer than 1,000 miles, some with only 4 to 8,000 miles on them. Then there are the Minis that have in the 35 to 40k miles but none more than that.
These cars appear to have been well equipped. There's a 2006 near here in Palo Alto with a rare JCW package ($6300) + packages ($2300) + more for $23k. It's got only 7,000 miles on it. Another one in Texas that's damn near new for $20K.
So, why are these people selling their Minis? Lemons?
Thanks.

Last edited by olcorral; 06-26-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
I suspect the sellers are amongst the R53 folks who threw loyalty to the winds and bought an R56.

Sad!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:16 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
People buy them thinking they will like them and turns out they don't because of the ride or its small or whatever reason.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:18 AM
msh441
6th Gear
As time passes, the years go by and more cars are manufactured and purchased... more cars will start popping up on the used market, too.

It's only natural. Five years from now there will be even more out there on the used market.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:47 AM
bzn by
4th Gear
Or some of us bought our mini as a second (or in my case a 3rd)car and finances change, or they have a teenager that has since turned 16 and needed a car(so we now have 4) and they find that they don't need that the extra vehicle .

Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 AM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
From talking with people, and emailing the car lots (when I was looking to buy), it seems that people buy them, well cuz they are just the coolest cars around. Then they realize that although it has four seats, the constant whining from the back seat, that your teenage son cant feel his feet anymore, gets to be too much. Me, I just tell him to buck up and take it like a man.........no, really the vast majority of the car lots (I talked to) got them as a trade into something larger, or more luxurious. That, and for some the insurance runs higher than what a different vehicle would. And, yes there are going to be more show up on lots, just because of there age. Silly people, dont know what they are missing-guess these cars are only for special people like us!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always tell people who express interest in buying a MINI, that they really have to want a MINI, not a cute car, not a high MPG car, not something small just to drive to work, etc. The point is, if you are not really into MINI, it's "quirks", coupled with MINI USA's general lack of customer care, will soon have you regretting your purchase. Now, before I raise anyone's ire, I am not saying owning a MINI is a bad thing, but you have to buy it for the right reasons, just like one should not buy a Vette or Lotus without knowing what they are getting into.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Pendergast
6th Gear
I agree, the MINI definately has quirks. There are lots of cars out there with better reliability, better transmissions, better engines, better rides etc. etc. but most of us on NAM don't care about that. There are few cars that provide as much fun as the MINI. I love mine inspite of its faults. Some folks don't - that's life.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Yep. That's my point.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:56 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I always tell people who express interest in buying a MINI, that they really have to want a MINI, not a cute car, not a high MPG car, not something small just to drive to work, etc. The point is, if you are not really into MINI, it's "quirks", coupled with MINI USA's general lack of customer care, will soon have you regretting your purchase. Now, before I raise anyone's ire, I am not saying owning a MINI is a bad thing, but you have to buy it for the right reasons, just like one should not buy a Vette or Lotus without knowing what they are getting into.
pretty well put tbh.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:02 AM
frumpysf
2nd Gear
I bought my MINI out of pure love for the car. I've been attracted to MINI since 2002. The most I ever did was sit in a demo at a 2003 car show - that's when I made my decision. I never test drove any car. I just *knew* it was the car for me.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Any number of reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the car:

New parents that can't wrap their heads around a car seat in a Mini (disproven by many new parents on NAM).

Decided they weren't the performance car type.

Caved to the pressure to get an SUV.

Got poor service from one dealer, and decided all Mini dealers were like that, and sold the Mini (documented here on NAM).

Bought it, tried it on, and decided they wanted something sportier, bigger, more powerful, etc.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:30 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Or sometimes the poor MINI gets caught in a divorce. MIB was purchased as a second car (go to work car) then she asked for a divorce. Now MIB sits awaiting word from the judge on what to do with it.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
They're just trying to torture you.
Got those rings appraised yet?

$23K w/JCW - kinda tempting...

Old 06-27-2007, 08:43 AM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
There's also many folks that went into 1 or 2 year leases. Once those reach End of Term, they show up on dealer lots. It's the natural cycle of the leasing industry. When interest rates and leasing options are favorable folks ****** them up. When those leases expire, folks turn in the vehicle for something new(er). MINIs hold residual value so well that a lease buy-out, at the end of term, isn't really in a Leasee's interest, as there is no room to negotiate.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
It's a conspiracy!
Aliens!
A CIA Plot!
The KGB in drag!
It's in the water!

ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 08:54 AM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
Originally Posted by frumpysf
I bought my MINI out of pure love for the car. I've been attracted to MINI since 2002. The most I ever did was sit in a demo at a 2003 car show - that's when I made my decision. I never test drove any car. I just *knew* it was the car for me.
I know this is off topic, but I find it funny that your car is named Heifer! We had a baby horse (years and years ago-shes old now), that my husband didnt see until she was a couple weeks old. He went looking for her, and told me all he saw was a little heifer. The name stuck. I sent in her registration papers, and as a joke I put Heifer as my last choice. Guess what...thats what she officially ended up with. Poor girl has had an inferiority complex since!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Originally Posted by DrDiff
Or sometimes the poor MINI gets caught in a divorce. MIB was purchased as a second car (go to work car) then she asked for a divorce. Now MIB sits awaiting word from the judge on what to do with it.
I'm sorry....

I hope you're able to keep MIB without too much difficulty.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:24 AM
olcorral
2nd Gear
Rings for Sale! Trade for Mini!

Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
They're just trying to torture you.
Got those rings appraised yet?

Talk about going through the big D real fast. I'd be sleeping in my new/used Mini.
I find negoiations are much cheaper.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrDiff
Don't forget to have the property statement include ALL of her jewelery. Leverage!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:46 AM
mikeoconnor1
2nd Gear
I think the fact that MINI's retain their value so well has a lot to do with short term ownership. a person can buy one and try it out for a short time and still recoup most of their money if they don't like it.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:37 AM
olcorral
2nd Gear
Rings for sale or trade for 2007 Mini.
Naw, never mind... love is priceless, ain't it?

Last edited by olcorral; 06-27-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Jurrell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Tell me about it. Post some pictures!!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Qksquirt
2nd Gear
I looked at MINI's when they first came out in '02, looked again in '05, and bought at the end of the '06 model year. My Lady said "NO" everytime until we went in Febuary, finally got her to sit in one and drive one and the rest is history. We bought "Squirt" to tow 4 down behind our motorhomw when we retire next year, but he now has his own home, a 16X7 covered trailer that I've built in to a shop with my tool boxes, air compressor, cabinets, wall hanging vaccum cleaner, black and white checkered tile floor and built in a/c. "Squirt" travels in style.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Shellbell
5th Gear
My experience from working at a dealership is that people are LOVING the 07's & trading in!!

Quick Reply: Why so many Minis for sale?