General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sparkling Silver Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:52 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LinkedUp
Have you seen these? They don't come in 16s though, and I'm not sure yet if I want 17s. Nice, nevertheless.

http://www.elementwheels.com/proddet...2Dtypemv2177bk
Yes, I agree, those are very nice. Kinda too busy for me though (I'm looking for maybe 8-10 spokes). I think you'd like the 17s, so I'd say go for it!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:49 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
Boo hoo hoo!!! I thought I'd found the wheels I wanted, but alas, no silver lip. But I do like them....

Here they are: http://www.rotawheels.com/torque.php

Maybe if I go with whitewall tires....
Check out the RB series, they all have a silver lip. Pretty classic wheel designed for sports cars. That's what I'll get if I ever get around to it (maybe when my rf tires wear out I'll get the 17" non-rf's).

Old 04-04-2008, 07:19 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Check out the RB series, they all have a silver lip. Pretty classic wheel designed for sports cars. That's what I'll get if I ever get around to it (maybe when my rf tires wear out I'll get the 17" non-rf's).
Except the RB series tops out at 16". And I want to go bigger than my 17" now, probably 18".

Old 04-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Except the RB series tops out at 16". And I want to go bigger than my 17" now, probably 18".
Actually, the rota RB's top out at 17's

Old 04-04-2008, 07:49 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Actually, the rota RB's top out at 17's
Hmmm. They need to update their website then.

http://rotawheels.com/rb.php

Old 04-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmm. They need to update their website then.

http://rotawheels.com/rb.php
Yah, you can't really trust their site....they don't update it very much. Rota is kinda an odd wheel company in that they rely mainly on a numerous number of distributors to advertise and sell their wheels and don't really sell them themselves

17s can be found here: http://18racing.com/wheel_rb.html

a NAM thread about 17" RB's : https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hlight=rota+rb

Old 04-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
There is a guy on here selling 16" SSR anthracite wheels with a polished lip. SSRs are awesome cuz they are super light weight and durable!

I had trouble deciding between the SSR type c's or the ultraleggeras as both are light weight and durable but the anthracite SSRs just look so right on a SS/B. I'm sticking with 16" because when I test drove a mini (albeit with stock wheels) with 17's it just did not feel right to me...but to each their own! (There is also less worry about hitting a monster DC pothole and ruining a rim with the smaller wheels.)

Old 04-04-2008, 08:28 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Yah, you can't really trust their site....they don't update it very much. Rota is kinda an odd wheel company in that they rely mainly on a numerous number of distributors to advertise and sell their wheels and don't really sell them themselves

17s can be found here: http://18racing.com/wheel_rb.html

a NAM thread about 17" RB's : https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hlight=rota+rb
So maybe they DO make the Torque in black with a silver lip! I best be getting to a local distributor and see what they can show me. So much for trusting the manufacturer and the internet!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:58 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Sorry for making this into a SS wheel discussion. To get us back on track.... should we see about numbering ourselves like they do in other "official" color clubs on here? Or do we enjoy being unnumbered? And who would be #1? The guy who started the thread? Or do we start a new one with the #s on the first post? Thoughts?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Quesera
5th Gear
Can I be #7?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:51 PM
LinkedUp
2nd Gear
Actually, Will, I think I was the one who started the wheel thing. Sorry about that. Although some good things came out of it.

As for the club and the member numbering, I have no preference. However, I do think we should get it moved out of the "Coupe Talk" category and into "General Mini Talk" since there are Cabrios and Clubmans that are SS. (Frankly, I don't even know if I get a vote 'cause I don't even have a car yet . . . just an order form.)

Old 04-07-2008, 07:15 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Actually, Will, I think I was the one who started the wheel thing. Sorry about that. Although some good things came out of it.

As for the club and the member numbering, I have no preference. However, I do think we should get it moved out of the "Coupe Talk" category and into "General Mini Talk" since there are Cabrios and Clubmans that are SS. (Frankly, I don't even know if I get a vote 'cause I don't even have a car yet . . . just an order form.)
I'd think as long as you have a production number for an SS, you'd be good to go!

Old 04-07-2008, 04:43 PM
dgrosch
2nd Gear
Does anybody know if there is a SS grill badge?

Devon

Old 04-07-2008, 06:08 PM
flaco
4th Gear
SSR's

Originally Posted by Ambrosia
There is a guy on here selling 16" SSR anthracite wheels with a polished lip. SSRs are awesome cuz they are super light weight and durable!

I had trouble deciding between the SSR type c's or the ultraleggeras as both are light weight and durable but the anthracite SSRs just look so right on a SS/B. I'm sticking with 16" because when I test drove a mini (albeit with stock wheels) with 17's it just did not feel right to me...but to each their own! (There is also less worry about hitting a monster DC pothole and ruining a rim with the smaller wheels.)
i used to have a ss with ssr 17's which i kept and might be interested in selling them. DC area. pm me if you are interested. they are very sweet lightweight wheels, easy to clean and retail on tirerack for about $500@

Old 04-07-2008, 06:09 PM
flaco
4th Gear
Old 04-16-2008, 06:16 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Hello? Anybody out there? Or are we all too busy motoring around in our SSs?

Old 04-16-2008, 06:37 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
I think a lot of us soon to be Sparkling Silver owners are waiting for BMW to get off their butts and process those cars sitting at the Port of Hueneme. My SS/SS beauty is sitting on the Madame Butterfly somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. The MB was due in on April 17th and has been delayed by 5 days because there are too many BMWs waiting at the port to be processed and there is no room to offload the cars that are coming in. The MB is now scheduled to dock on the 22nd. . This will probably delay any other boats that have left Southampton and are on their way to the West Coast.

Last edited by RussKeys; 04-16-2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-16-2008, 06:52 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RussKeys
I think a lot of us soon to be Sparkling Silver owners are waiting for BMW to get off their butts and process those cars sitting at the Port of Hueneme. My SS/SS beauty is sitting on the Madame Butterfly somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. The MB was due in on April 17th and has been delayed by 5 days because there are too many BMWs waiting at the port to be processed and there is no room to offload the cars that are coming in. The MB is now scheduled to dock on the 22nd. . This will probably delay any other boats that have left Southampton and are on their way to the West Coast.
Wow, that sucks! Get those beemers outta the way, we've got some hot MINIs coming through! I hope you get your car soon; I know the wait is hard, but it has to be especially tough when it is held up because of something like this.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:03 AM
LinkedUp
2nd Gear
Hey Will. Hey Ambrosia. Have either of you gotten your new black/anthracite wheels yet? I need a pix fix!

Steven

Old 04-20-2008, 08:12 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Hey Will. Hey Ambrosia. Have either of you gotten your new black/anthracite wheels yet? I need a pix fix!

Steven
I don't have mine yet. I'm still trying to decide (I've found some Tenzos, some Enkeis, a Motegi, a Rota and a Konig that I like). I feel like its best to actually see the wheel before buying, and it seems none of the local places ever have the one I want, and they want me to pay for shipping to get one in whether I buy it or not (Discount Tire). One of these days.... (plus, I'm kinda waiting for my tax refund and the stimulus rebate check).

Old 04-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Ambrosia
4th Gear

Steven
Unfortunately not My heart is set on the anthracite 16x6.5 SSRs but I currently lack the necessary funds....so it will have to wait. Someone suggested just powdercoating my current bridge spokes black...which probably wouldn't look too bad (and I don't mind the look of these wheels so much) but these heavy wheels have got to go! I also probably won't get the wheels until I can lower the car so...it will be a while....lol.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:01 PM
gotmoxie
2nd Gear
My Sparkling Silver Mini S Clubman order was put in today !

When I receive my production number, I want to be numbered amongst the SS Club folks! (Something sounds most bizarre about having a SS Club S Clubman, though - it's like the Department of Redundancy Department .) I had actually gone through the whole "build it" process without being able to settle on a color - I had thought after seeing a couple at a car show and in the showroom of my dealer that I wanted a Hot Chocolate one, but I was also considering Laser Blue; well, when my husband and I went to the dealer to initiate the process, we took a long walk around the happy little herd of minis in the lot and looked at all the colors as they will be out in the sun; maybe a little dusty, a few rain spots, etc. Sparkling Silver was not a color that was even on my radar, but there were a few in the lot and they just looked so GOOD . It was LOVE.

All I can think of right now are the immortal words of the great philosopher Homer Simpson; "Now we play the waiting game... *pause* Awww, the waiting game s***s! Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos!"

What, oh, what shall I name it? It's "working title" for the order is the Nimbus 2008.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gotmoxie
My Sparkling Silver Mini S Clubman order was put in today !

When I receive my production number, I want to be numbered amongst the SS Club folks! (Something sounds most bizarre about having a SS Club S Clubman, though - it's like the Department of Redundancy Department .) I had actually gone through the whole "build it" process without being able to settle on a color - I had thought after seeing a couple at a car show and in the showroom of my dealer that I wanted a Hot Chocolate one, but I was also considering Laser Blue; well, when my husband and I went to the dealer to initiate the process, we took a long walk around the happy little herd of minis in the lot and looked at all the colors as they will be out in the sun; maybe a little dusty, a few rain spots, etc. Sparkling Silver was not a color that was even on my radar, but there were a few in the lot and they just looked so GOOD . It was LOVE.

All I can think of right now are the immortal words of the great philosopher Homer Simpson; "Now we play the waiting game... *pause* Awww, the waiting game s***s! Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos!"

What, oh, what shall I name it? It's "working title" for the order is the Nimbus 2008.
Congrats & welcome! You are now part of the few with a rather unique mini color and great taste of course!

SS was also not a color I initially wanted and was not even on the bottom of my list of choices.....until I saw it in person with the sport stripes. Now I am glad I decided on the SS even though our car choice doesn't seem to get a lot of recognition. But all that matters is that you love your car and it looks good!

Your clubman's name will come to you in time

Old 04-22-2008, 10:16 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
I've said it before and I'll say it again: SS on the configurator is NASTY! But thankfully once it is seen in person, there are a few of us that can recognize it and make the switch over to such an awesome color.

Congrats gotmoxie on a great first post.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
gotmoxie
2nd Gear
Thanks much for the warm welcome to the Sparkling Silver paddock!

I am currently trying to resist the urge to email my dealer "is it here yet?" "is it here yet?!"

While I'm impatiently waiting for my little Clubman to make more or less the same journey my grandfather did when he left England and came to America, is there an SS grill badge or decal in the works or available?

I'm envisioning this vehicle arriving here in Cincinnati much like a new baby; with plenty of "gifts" waiting for it. Although I don't think, if I'm holding up JCW floor mats, the girlfriends will all be oohing and ah-ing about how cute they will look on the new family member...

Quick Reply: Sparkling Silver Owners Club