General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

Ice is nice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 05:08 PM
n_l
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just so folks don't get too board waiting for tracks and auto-x sites to thaw out here in the Northeast, thought I'd see if there's any interest in ice racing. The Boston Chapter of the BMW CCA has been sponsoring what is essentially an autocross on ice on a couple of frozen lakes in New Hampshire for the last 20+ years. It's a lot of fun, and I've found that the time I've spent on ice has helped my dry-track car-control skills immensely - that 4-wheel drift happens at a much lower speed on ice than on pavement - and it's nice to have the proper skid-control reflexes burned into the brain in case something starts to happen in the oval at NHIS in the middle of first-lap race traffic (I race a non-MINI in SCCA Club Racing).

I've done ice racing in FWD VWs, RWD Toyotas, Audi Quattros, Jeeps, and old BMWs - waiting for my MCS delivery (February - just in time, too) to try MINIs on ice. Figure it can't hurt to learn its limits in a controlled environment either.

Anybody else interested? Check out http://www.boston-bmwcca.org for more ice racing info or drop me a line. See you all on the lakes!

-noam

Old 01-14-2003, 05:52 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Dang, that sounds really fun. I wish they had something like that round here. Play for the rest of us.

R

Old 01-24-2003, 07:14 AM
cscholz
1st Gear
>>
>>I've done ice racing in FWD VWs, RWD Toyotas, Audi Quattros, Jeeps, and old BMWs - waiting for my MCS delivery (February - just in time, too) to try MINIs on ice. Figure it can't hurt to learn its limits in a controlled environment either.
>>
>>Anybody else interested? Check out http://www.boston-bmwcca.org for more ice racing info or drop me a line. See you all on the lakes!
>>
>>-noam

Hi Noam,

You probably don't remember me - I haven't ice raced in 5-6 years and I haven't done a BMW CCA track day in about 2 years. In the past, I have ice raced my 2002tii, a '71 Beetle and a Corrado. I picked up my MCS in November, and I'm planning to play on the ice this weekend (assuming the event is still on). Too bad you don't have your MCS yet, but you're welcome to provide balast in mine while giving a few instructional pointers.

Hope to see you Sunday.

Carl

Old 01-24-2003, 08:05 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
you peoples are crazy, I can't wait for it to get warmer!!!!

Old 01-27-2003, 11:47 PM
PineappleMonkey
1st Gear
I really wanted to go Ice racing up near WI but the weather hasn't been too good for us. The days that were planned, I believe only one or two events went. I've heard stories that in the middle to end of the day you can hear the ice cracking and your standing in 1-2 inches of water

Old 02-06-2003, 12:54 PM
n_l
2nd Gear
Carl -

Been out of town, so I didn't make the first ice race. I plan to show up (spouse and time permitting) once I get my MINI - which should be in the next week or so (it's at the VPC now).

Are you runing snows or are you on summer tires? Hmm... maybe a MINI Ice Challenge... Wonder if any of the other Boston BMW CCA folks brought MINIs to the last event....

-noam

>>Hi Noam,
>>
>>You probably don't remember me - I haven't ice raced in 5-6 years and I haven't done a BMW CCA track day in about 2 years. In the past, I have ice raced my 2002tii, a '71 Beetle and a Corrado. I picked up my MCS in November, and I'm planning to play on the ice this weekend (assuming the event is still on). Too bad you don't have your MCS yet, but you're welcome to provide balast in mine while giving a few instructional pointers.
>>
>>Hope to see you Sunday.
>>
>>Carl

Old 02-06-2003, 07:58 PM
cscholz
1st Gear
Noam,

I've raced in both of the first 2 events. Took FTD on the first day but there wasn't much competition. I didn't do as well last weekend, but I haven't seen the standings posted yet.

I'm running "super snows" - Dunlop Graspics. There's no racing this weekend but next weekend (2/16) is the Parker Spooner Memorial event. I hope you have your car by then.

BTW, there have been no other MINIs there either day. Lots of Subarus WRXs, though.

Carl

Old 02-11-2003, 09:38 AM
DREW
2nd Gear
Check this out...
http://www.tropheeandros.com/
Photos Galerie...Second row, fourth from the left...Yee Haa!

DREW