General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

2014 Formula One Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sabre
OMG I feel so foolish to have forgotten all about Sauber and especially the Scuderia being based outside of Britain!
There's also Torro Rosso, but I wasn't counting that as a successful team (though its probably as successful as Red Bull wants it to be). HRT was also not in Britain, but there's no doubt about its success (or lack there of).

Old 01-20-2014, 08:56 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
There's also Torro Rosso, but I wasn't counting that as a successful team (though its probably as successful as Red Bull wants it to be). HRT was also not in Britain, but there's no doubt about its success (or lack there of).

Old age must be creeping up on me! I forgot about STR (formerly Minardi) and well HRT (very easily forgotten as it falls into the realm of teams like Simtek, Prost, Pacific, Andrea Moda, etc.)

Thanks for the brain jolt Btwyx!

Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
You can always do like I do, and look on the F1 web site to find the list of teams. Then you can check you havn't forgotten any.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Well I never thought that Bernie and I would share something in common! It would seem that F1's supremo shares my belief concerning the credibility of NASCAR's Gene Haas being able to field an F1 team...

Ecclestone thinks F1 entry for Haas 'unlikely'

Jan.24 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone does not think multimillionaire Nascar team owner Gene Haas can afford to enter formula one in 2015.

Haas, with an estimated net worth of $740 million, announced recently that he has responded to the FIA's 'call for expressions of interest' in filling the vacant slot in pitlane.

Haas co-owns the Nascar team Stewart-Haas, heads one of the best wind tunnels in the world, and according to Auto Motor und Sport he would start in F1 with a healthy three-digit million budget.

But F1 chief executive Ecclestone told Racer he thinks it "most unlikely" Haas will enter F1, because of the sport's huge costs.

"They (Haas) have been talking about it for three years," F1 business journalist Caroline Reid quoted Ecclestone as saying.

"Somebody can have 10 billion in the bank but it doesn't mean they are going to spend it."

Well if anyone knows what it costs to enter F1 Bernie certainly does!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:29 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sabre
Well I never thought that Bernie and I would share something in common! It would seem that F1's supremo shares my belief concerning the credibility of NASCAR's Gene Haas being able to field an F1 team...

Ecclestone thinks F1 entry for Haas 'unlikely'

Jan.24 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone does not think multimillionaire Nascar team owner Gene Haas can afford to enter formula one in 2015.

Haas, with an estimated net worth of $740 million, announced recently that he has responded to the FIA's 'call for expressions of interest' in filling the vacant slot in pitlane.

Haas co-owns the Nascar team Stewart-Haas, heads one of the best wind tunnels in the world, and according to Auto Motor und Sport he would start in F1 with a healthy three-digit million budget.

But F1 chief executive Ecclestone told Racer he thinks it "most unlikely" Haas will enter F1, because of the sport's huge costs.

"They (Haas) have been talking about it for three years," F1 business journalist Caroline Reid quoted Ecclestone as saying.

"Somebody can have 10 billion in the bank but it doesn't mean they are going to spend it."

Well if anyone knows what it costs to enter F1 Bernie certainly does!

And who's fault is it, primarily, that F1's costs are so out of control?

"Hello kettle, this is pot....you're black "

I cannot wait for that dope to move on....

Old 01-25-2014, 09:15 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just anxious for the season to start.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Its always around this time, you start waiting for the season. When's early testing due?

Interesting article on the F1 website about the rules changes for this year: http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2014/1/15408.html

The ERS is twice as powerful as KERS and is available for about 6 times longer (33s per lap). Also there's no ERS button, its all available on the throttle via the computer.

The drive train is split into five components, and you only have five of each of those for the season.

Gearboxes are now 8 speed, but you must choose one set of ratios for the whole season (use the same ratios at Monaco as at Monza). I'm not sure this is a good thing.

Fuel is limited to 100kg for the entire race. So now fuel economy becomes vitally important. A noble goal, but I'm not sure its F1. I hear LeMans is doing a similar thing, so it seems to be the fashion. There was also a note elsewhere that you'll no longer be allowed to stop on track to save that last kilo of fuel.

Front wings are narrower and lower, so that they're less likely to cut an opponent's rear tire, or get launched over a rear tire. That will mess big time with the aero.

A single central exhaust which exits behind the rear wheels. That'll cut out trick exhaust from the aero.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
[QUOTE=Btwyx;3871478

Fuel is limited to 100kg for the entire race. So now fuel economy becomes vitally important. A noble goal, but I'm not sure its F1. I hear LeMans is doing a similar thing, so it seems to be the fashion. There was also a note elsewhere that you'll no longer be allowed to stop on track to save that last kilo of fuel.

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand the whole idea of limiting fuel during the race. F1 scrutineering can attach monitors to confirm what type of fuel mileage the engines get at sea level with a nominal load, so they can confirm no one is cheating with their engine design or fuel management software.

BUT, when you get to a track, the amount of fuel needed can vary greatly based on temperature/humidity/inclination/declination, so why not allow them all the fuel they need?

My concern is that in addition to having to dial the wick down to conserve tires(which I hate if they are doing it because they are down to the last set F1 allows them to have-different story if they don't want to change tires due to race conditions), are they going to have to dial it down during a race to make sure they don't run out of fuel?

It seems these artificial boundaries take away from the point of racing: putting the most highly skilled drivers on the track and let them drive as fast as their ability and environmental conditions allow.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:51 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Don't forget that the number of engines and gearboxes a team can use a season are going down as well...

However word hit on Friday that weigh limits are going up...

Oh - and the last race is essentially a bonus round... The double points rule is staying...

Old 02-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
What would F1 be without the drama?

Pre-season brings with it the glitz and the hype of the new cars being introduced and then showcases them as they take to the track during testing, each car a team's vision of how to achieve victory.

Pre-season testing also brings with it those who are scrupulously appraising each car with a critical eye, looking to see if anyone has garnered an unfair advantage with their design.

This year McLaren has already fallen under the magnifying lens of its rivals as they claim that the 2014 MP4-29 rear suspension is not within the framework of the rules...

McLaren 'wing suspension' causing a stir

Jan.31 (GMM) The first technical rows of 2014 are well underway.

It had already emerged that the FIA is unhappy with some of the radical nose solutions, with one camp of teams accusing the other of fielding either dangerous designs or too cheekily skirting around the 'spirit' of the rules.

Arguably, however, McLaren's wing-like rear suspension arms are causing the bigger stir.

Italy's Omnicorse claims world champions Red Bull have already sent a request for clarification to the FIA.

But that doesn't mean that, even if the design is ruled categorically legal, the other teams will rush to copy it.

"The design is based upon quite a lot of air resistance (drag); especially the part that bends downward," said Red Bull designer Adrian Newey, according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

Mercedes' Paddy Lowe, however - a former McLaren man - is not so sure.

"McLaren will have determined that it found a way for it to work without major disadvantages," he predicted.

But Williams' Pat Symonds thinks that because of the way the suspension arms have to bend backwards towards the rear, McLaren will have lost some stiffness benefits.

"They may have compensated with more mass, so I would guess that the wishbones are heavier than normal," he said.

Some have said McLaren will retain its potential 2014 advantage for a long time, because it will be so difficult for rival teams to change entire rear suspension layouts.

Symonds is not so sure of that.

"It just wouldn't be as perfect a system as McLaren's, because they have based the whole concept of the car around it," he said.

The drama would not be complete without our favorite little troll putting in his .02. Yes sir, Bernie helps to feed the fire with his acerbic comments on F1's radical rule changes for 2014...

Ecclestone slams Jerez testing 'farce'

Jan.31 (GMM) F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone has slammed the sport's brave new era, saying the Jerez test this week proves the radical 2014 rules have produced "a total farce".

"Look at the last few days. I said it was going to be like this," he told the Daily Mail, referring to the chaos at the opening winter test, headlined by reigning world champions Red Bull's almost total inability to run the new car.

Ecclestone, who railed against the introduction of energy recovery-powered turbo V6 engines, said he isn't taking the blame.

"They (the FIA and the teams) insisted on these new engines," he said. "If they wanted to race like this they should go to Le Mans."

Ecclestone said the arguments about saving fuel, with each driver now limited to just 100 kilos of fuel per race, don't even stack up.

"Mercedes are taking 23 trucks with them everywhere. If they really wanted to save fuel they should stop that," he insisted.

The 83-year-old campaigned fiercely against the beginning of the new era, arguing that the loss of the roaring naturally-aspirated engines would turn fans off.

"People want noise -- something special, that's what F1 is all about," said Ecclestone. "Now we have quiet engines and nobody on the track."

And so the crazy train that is F1 rolls on... All aboard! It's gonna be a wild season.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:22 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Yes, Bernie, of the bad hair Bernies (as he's known around here) who also said last week that he wants the last THREE races to be worth double points!!!

If Lotus is lucky, Renault will have figured out what's up their with their power plants before Bahrain so that they have a better chance of getting some running in than everybody else who came out to Jerez...

Old 02-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
WOW....ok, so i have to reluctantly admit that I agree with everything Bernie said regarding the engines and this totally foolish fuel rationing...."Mercedes takes 23 semis with them"....priceless..

Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
As a way of bringing uncertainty to the season and mixing things up - I don't have a problem with a major power train change every few years... Heck, I think it's a better way of tweaking the competitive field than targeted rules changes aimed at the perceived innovations that the winning team has developed, or rolling out high deg tires for that matter...

I don't have a problem with pushing for increased fuel efficiency - but I'd rather they did it by making the races longer and pushing for greater endurance instead of an arbitrary load limit...

Old 02-01-2014, 09:16 PM
JCW_Oz
2nd Gear
Hey guys - Some quick bits:

Schuey's Docs are starting the very slow exit out of his coma. Let's hope and pray for a healthy return for Michael.

Ross Brawn announces retirement from Formula One

McLaren's MP4-29 under scrutiny for controversial rear "wings" suspension. McLaren also appoints Eric Boullier as racing director after he resigned as team principal for Lotus Friday. Maybe he wasn't getting paid either.

AND Lotus is in big trouble

I finally saw "Rush" today - brilliant film.

'04 JCW BRG R53 "14 Ball"
'08 JCW Sidewalk PW/B "Katie"

Old 02-13-2014, 09:15 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
It's always nice to see the return of sponsors to the sport. I'm sure there are those of us who remember the iconic colors of Martini & Rossi on the Le Mans Porsches of the 70's and in F1 on the Brabham cars. Now Williams seems ready to display those iconic colors on their F1 contender for 2014.

Williams Grand Prix to Carry Martini Sponsorship

Tony DiZinno / Feb 13, 2014, 8:27 AM EST

Williams appears set to bring Martini and its legendary red, white and blue colors back to Formula One, according to Autosport magazine. The deal is not yet finalized and the livery, more importantly, still yet to be revealed before the March 16 season opener in Australia.

Martini had a heavy presence in F1 in the 1970s with the Tecno, Brabham and Lotus organizations, but has its only appearance in recent years was in a minor role with Ferrari that began in 2006.
The team did announce one new partnership, with global lifestyle protection insurer Genworth signing up earlier this week. Genworth’s logo will appear on the rear wing endplates of the FW36.

“I’m delighted to welcome a brand of Genworth’s pedigree to the team for the 2014 season and beyond,” Sir Frank Williams said in a team release. “We share a number of similar values such as ensuring excellence and integrity in everything we do and a truly global footprint. We’re looking forward to working in close collaboration to help them maximise the benefits that come from a close association with Williams and Formula One.”

It is yet to be determined whether Williams will be in full livery at the Bahrain test next week, or if it will continue to run in the testing dark blue as at Jerez.

Let's hope that this leads to a resurgence of Williams in 2014! They've languished way too long at the near back of the grid. Maybe Felipe Massa landed at Williams at the right time and can contend for honors this year.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:39 AM
minirab
5th Gear
It will be nice to see those colors back on the track.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:53 PM
JCW_Oz
2nd Gear
IF you haven't seen the new cars; let me save you the trouble and post them here

New cars - clean slate. Turbo V6s with (4) different energy recovery systems. Its a whole new ballgame

Red Bull RB10

Mercedes W05

Ferrari F14T

Lotus E22

McLaren MP4-29

Sahara Force India VJM07

Sauber C33

Scuderia Torro Rosso STR9

Williams FW36

Marussia MR03

Caterham CT05

Old 02-15-2014, 04:49 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Is it just me - or does Marussia have even fewer sponsors this year than last year?

Old 02-15-2014, 06:38 AM
JCW_Oz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
Is it just me - or does Marussia have even fewer sponsors this year than last year?
That is likely to change as the season starts

I'm a Cybernetic Organism; living tissue over a metal endoskeleton. '08 JCW Sidewalk PW/B "Katie"

Old 02-15-2014, 08:47 AM
minirab
5th Gear
Makes me want to puke.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:14 AM
JCW_Oz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minirab
Makes me want to puke.
I would agree - I wish they had ONE year only where there was NO rules

Old 02-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JCW_Oz
IF you haven't seen the new cars; let me save you the trouble and post them here...

Thanks Oz for posting up that photo summary of this year's F1 chassis.

The Formula One teams have unveiled their creations and as Edmund Rostand's hero Cyrano de Bergerac proclaims, “A great nose may be an index of a great soul”.

Hmm, maybe Rostand was onto something?

Check out the schnozolas on the Force India, Caterham, and the Lotus, not to mention the rest of the field!

Well one thing is certain... It's all about aero and in particular, it's all about the nose!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Jacques Villeneuve has always been outspoken and his views on the period that F1 is entering is worthy of note...

New era risks 'destroying' F1 - Villeneuve

Feb.14 (GMM) F1's all-new era risks "destroying" the sport, according to outspoken 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve.

The French-Canadian, often referred to as an F1 'purist', admitted he is no fan of the radical new rules, featuring energy recovery-bolstered V6 engines.

"I think personally the rules are too restrictive; it's not formula one," he told the Telegraph.

42-year-old Villeneuve, whilst announcing his participation in the FIA world rallycross championship this year, said the rules are even a step back from 2013, when drivers often nursed fragile Pirelli tyres to the flag.

Now, the major challenge will be getting a limited amount of fuel to the finish, but the former Williams and Sauber driver said: "It's not even the driver who determines how much fuel he's saving -- it's all done electronically.

"I don't see the point. I know it's the concept of trying to make it look 'greener' because people will be happier, but ultimately it's not greener.

"It's not F1. It's just a perception, that is destroying formula one a little bit."

Villeneuve also said the recent Jerez test showed that the new technology is too complex, while the cars are too slow.

"The laptimes (at Jerez) were barely faster than what we did in 1997 in Jerez ... that's 17 years ago. I'm not sure why it has become so important to keep going slower," he said.

Villeneuve was also scathing of the unpopular 'double points' innovation for 2014, designed to keep spice in the title fight until the very end.

So what do you all think of Villeneuve's perception of where F1 is going?

Opinions anyone...

Old 02-18-2014, 02:52 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Ferrari looks like an anteater. Caterham looks like a mosquito. And winglets on winglets on winglets on wings. Those front wings have more edges than my Gillette fusion razor. Why? Half of them just get broken off in collisions at the start. I thought last year's cars were fugly - this is worse.

I miss the simple elegance of the 60's cars. My dream is for F1 to ditch all the aero and electronics and go back to those simpler 60's cars, built with modern materials and safety features of course. Oh well I can dream...

Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 AM
hoodmeister
1st Gear
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
cool video that allows you to change your viewing angle:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...0-degrees.html

Quick Reply: 2014 Formula One Discussion