General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

F-1 Discussion Thread - 2004 Season

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 10:31 AM
hafid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the latest press release:

Toyota have confirmed that Ralf Schumacher will drive for them in 2005. Schumacher, who had been widely expected to leave Williams for Toyota, has signed a three-year deal with the Japanese team. The German might not get to race again for Williams after fracturing vertebrae at the United States Grand Prix. Toyota boss Tsutomu Tomita said: "He's proven himself to be extremely quick. I'm sure his vast experience will be extremely beneficial to our team."

Toyota's current drivers Olivier Panis and Cristiano da Matta are not expected to have their contracts renewed at the end of the season.

"We have not finalised who will partner Ralf in 2005, and this is something we are in no rush to decide on," added Tomita. "We are happy with the job that Cristiano and Olivier are doing for us and both of them are under consideration for the remaining race seat next season. "There are still eight races of the season to go and everyone at Toyota is fully focused on improving our level of performance to gain as many championship points as we can." Toyota have the second biggest budget on the grid behind world champions Ferrari, but are currently seventh in the constructors' championship with just eight points.

Schumacher's departure from Williams means the team needs to find two drivers for 2005 as Juan Pablo Montoya is leaving for McLaren. "Ralf has made a steadfast contribution to the team over the past five years, with some truly spectacular high points," said Williams team boss Sir Frank Williams. Schumacher made his Formula One debut with Jordan in 1997 and has won six of his 124 Grands Prix, all with Williams. BMW motorsport boss Mario Theissen said the decision not to renew the driver's Williams contract had been mutual and came after long and intensive negotiations.
http://www.formula1.com/news/1858.html

Old 07-07-2004, 10:40 AM
Redbird73
Coordinator :: St. Louis MINI Club
Well now it's official. I hope Ralf can get his career going again. If he can get some motivation and drive, he can be very focused and very fast. Perhaps he can even get the Toyota team together like his brother has for Benneton and Ferrari.

I was really happy to see Alonso take second. Schumi and him were way ahead of the rest of the pack and Alonso really did his best to stand toe to toe with Schumi. If Renault had the same HP as Ferrari, he might have been able to hold him off. Anyway, I'm convinced that Alonso is going to develop into a world champion as time rolls on.

2005 should be really interesting with all the driver swaps. Hopefully Webber will be at Williams; he deserves a better car than the Jag.

Aaron

Originally Posted by hafid
the latest press release:

http://www.formula1.com/news/1858.html

Old 07-10-2004, 08:42 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats to Kimi Raikkonen on pole for the British GP...McLaren is back!

The major flaw in the current qualifying system was apparent in the pre-qualifying session, with Jenson Button the only front-runner who went for a true fast lap. With rain expected in the final qualifying session, the other front-runners did slow times, which in theory would allow them to qualify before the expected rain late in the session...time for some changes.

Old 07-12-2004, 05:46 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Congrats to Schumi, 80 victories in F1. Closest rival is Alan Prost with 51. Can he make it 100 victories in his career? I wouldn't bet against it. Schumi already has 100 points this year (last year he won the championship with 93 points after the whole season, not just 11 races.)

Kimi is ALIVE, how long since we saw him on a podium? October of last year if I recall correctly. He was in it from the get go. Pole position, leading until the first set of pit stops, back in it after the safety car came out. Let's hope he can keep some momentum going for the rest of the year.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:08 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
Awesome achievement for ole MS....now if I could only start liking the arrogant little s....... great driver though......It was great to see McLaren back (it was the team that was gone not its drivers) and hopefully they will prevent Schumi from winning at least a couple of the remaining races.... it does get boring after awhile.....

Old 07-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Mini-///M
3rd Gear
Going into this season I really didn't like MS. The last few races it has been amazing how consistently awesome he drives. For me it's like watching Michael Jordan play, you just have to respect someone who is an all time great in their field. 10 of 11 wins... that's just awesome...

It seems like almost all of the F1 drivers are cocky... MS is just able to back it up every time.

Patrick

Old 07-14-2004, 08:59 AM
adame
Coordinator :: MINIsota Motoring Society (MMS)
Did anyone else read that Master and Commander Bill Gates is the new sponsor for Toyota next season?

It really is great to see MS in action. He really is a driver like no other.

Last edited by adame; 07-14-2004 at 09:21 AM. Reason: can't read!
Old 07-14-2004, 09:16 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by adame
So it sounds like RS is going to Toyota next year. That should be a good fit for him. Did anyone else read that Master and Commander Bill Gates is the new sponsor for Toyota next season?
I hadn’t heard anything about that - but it’s a fact F1 cars don’t need windows.

Old 07-14-2004, 10:27 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by adame
Did anyone else read that Master and Commander Bill Gates is the new sponsor for Toyota next season?
Couldn't find any confirmation of that rumor, nevertheless if it's "big $" that F1 is seeking, Billy G. is the Man to source it from.

Old 07-25-2004, 06:22 AM
sketchedin
3rd Gear
I don't want to give anything away about the German Grand Prix, but HOT DAMN! Jenson is showing just how great of a racer he is. If you are a BAR Honda fan, you MUST watch Button today or tonight. As I type this there are only 11 laps left, so still plenty of time for anything to happen!

Old 07-26-2004, 05:25 AM
MEmini
2nd Gear
Yeah!

Historically the German Gran Prix is not one of my favorites, but Button, Alonzo, and at times Montoya were really fun to watch yesterday. Special congrats to the cameramen that showed us such great action! Poor Kimi had a good challenge going until the wing failed.

It was great to see so many different teams in the points....What do you think of the proposed changes? Don't see how only two sets of tires would be possible.....

Old 07-26-2004, 05:42 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
I agree completely, the Button v. Alonso duel was terrific, and a big thank you to German television for giving us great coverage of it rather than watching der Weltmiester cruise home to an easy victory. I was amazed by the pace of most of the players. Once Reubens came in for his nose job after lap 1, he was never back in the fray, ditto Jarno Trulli and to some extent JPM. I was impressed by the power and speed of Jaguar, they seem to be getting their act together at last. And let's not forget Jungle Boy who scored his first ever F1 points driving for Ralf.

Old 07-26-2004, 05:43 AM
sdiver8
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MEmini
It was great to see so many different teams in the points....What do you think of the proposed changes? Don't see how only two sets of tires would be possible.....
I think these proposed changes are a step in the right direction...although definitely a backdown from what Max Mosely had been proposing. At the rate of the current Concorde Agreement, F1 will never get any rules ratified that will benefit the sport. Let's face it, Ron Dennis, Jean Todt, & Frank Williams will NEVER agree with what Paul Stoddart or Eddie Jordan think or vice-versa.

The two sets of tires per weekend rule is probably a good thing. It will force Bridgestone & Michelin to create harder tire compounds that can last the entire race. Harder tire compounds mean less grip, which means slower cornering speeds, and longer braking zones. It will also reduce the buildup or "marbles" off line...all those qualities add up to a better chace of seeing passing on track. Back in the 80's/early 90's this is basically how F1 was. You had no refuelling stops, and only changed tires in the event of a flat, or wheel/tire problem. It made drivers pass on track as opposed to in the pits. I'd like to see F1 ban refuelling as well, that would force drivers to pass on track :smile: !

We shall see...I'm not holding my breath on the changes though. Seems as though those in charge of F1 always seem to manage to muck things up even worse ...

Old 07-28-2004, 11:51 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
OK, three week break and the silly season is at full tilt bozo...as of today and correct me where I'm wrong.

In 2005:
Done deals...
Montoya >>>>>>> McLaren
Ralf >>>>>>> Toyota
Mark Webber >>>>>>> Williams
Fisichella >>>>>>> Renault

Possibilities at this point...
Coulthard >>>>>>> Jaguar

Am I missing anything? Trulli had already announced his departure from Renault before the Fisichella announcement but where to Jarno???

Stay tuned, announcements seem daily now...btw, what's more boring than MS winning 10 of 11 this season?

A three week break with no races or testing...

Old 08-06-2004, 05:23 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
Silly season, part 2...breaking news!

Jenson Button signs with Williams for '05!

One week after Mark Webber makes statements that he would like a second tier teammate, so as to be a definite #1 at Williams, Frank goes out and grabs JB...the competition within the team next year should be interesting.

sndwave you getting this?

Williams deals done, what about Villeneuve in '05...Bar Honda?

It can only get better...Hungary in one week!

Old 08-06-2004, 05:51 AM
sndwave
Originally Posted by COOPERation
Silly season, part 2...breaking news!

Jenson Button signs with Williams for '05!

sndwave you getting this?
Ya I'm getting it COOP

I'll see if I can dig up some more changes for the 2005 season and post as soon as I do.

Old 08-06-2004, 05:55 AM
sndwave
And a PS to my last post.

Williams had better get their sh*t together or Jenson is not going to look so hot next year.

Old 08-06-2004, 06:17 AM
sndwave
Toyota replace da Matta with Zonta

“Toyota has announced that Cristiano da Matta will not be driving in races for the team with immediate effect. He will be replaced for the rest of the season by test driver Ricardo Zonta. We believe it is fair to offer Ricardo the chance to show his potential in full race conditions before we enter into the final step of our driver evaluation for the 2005 season."

Old 08-15-2004, 07:01 AM
sndwave
More Mike – ho hum, but I do love the car.

I like the way they kept talking about Sato the entire last half of the race and didn’t say boo about Button who was ahead of him. My boy’s never going to get any respect except from me.

They even announced Sato crossing the line in 6th place before Button in 5th.

Old 08-16-2004, 05:49 AM
adame
Coordinator :: MINIsota Motoring Society (MMS)
I missed the beginning - how did Sato end up back in 6th? Didn't he start at P3? Bad pit stops? Did he crash in to someone?

Talk about lapping the field - yikes!

Old 08-16-2004, 08:58 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Sato didn't have a great start. The Hungaroring is a notoriously hard track to pass on and apparently the pit stops didn't quite fall his way. It was definitely a ho-hum race...

Old 08-29-2004, 06:01 AM
sndwave
SPA is going and what a race. One of the only GREAT tracks left in the world of F1. Awesome race and only 20 some laps to go. I raced of this track when it was still open road so I know it very well.

Old 08-29-2004, 06:05 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
SPA matters

So what happened between Trulli and JPM?
I'm only on the online live timing, no video or TV images.

Old 08-29-2004, 06:07 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Spa!!

If F1 has been boring you lately, you probably aren't watching today....but you should be! Spa doesn't disappoint! I only wish there hadn't been so much attrition so early in the race.

Old 08-29-2004, 06:10 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
Montoya tried to pass Trulli in middle of the bus stop...he'll be punished.

Button's rubber explodes and takes out a Minardi...damn Michelins...

Quick Reply: F-1 Discussion Thread - 2004 Season