General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

2010 Formula 1 discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Guitarfrk75
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From back when I was playing guitar in college Austin was always portrayed as an up and coming, progressive city and "Austin Grill" up here in MD has been pretty succuessful in selling Tex Mex food in a mix environment with live music and all sorts of other funky stuff. SXSW was like a pilgrimage every year for some of the folks that I played guitar with.

Now, I have a slightly skewed view but I really think it is a great place to hold a race and that the race fits the image of the city well. In most cases the tracks are somewhat outside the "city" that hosts the GP because it isn't possible to suddenly up and build a large racing venue in a major city so having it in Elroy is not that surprising.

When I was a kid my Dad and me used to travel to the British GP at Silversrone, which is in the middle of nowhere. These days we make are annual pilgrimage to Watkins Glen for Indy, which is also in the middle of nowhere (although for the last time ). The fact that this is even within striking distance of a major city is something to be thankful for!

Old 09-25-2010, 11:06 AM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Was pleasantly surprised to see FA on pole since I though Seb was going to walk away with it after blistering the final two pratices.....Too bad about Massa tho.

Looking forward to Hamilton's start!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before the season started, I said Alonso for his 3rd WDC. Looking good so far.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:42 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
Before the season started, I said Alonso for his 3rd WDC. Looking good so far.
He is on quite a roll, isn't he! Good fight up front today although I'm not sure Webber didn't deserve a drive thru or something for his contact with LH. Unbelievable that his car made it thru to the end after seeing pics of his r/f wheel/tire!!

Old 09-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Alonso seems to be making a run like Kimi did a few years ago.

Webber had the line, and Lewie closed the door before he was clear. The rules say the passing driver is responsible for being clear and making a clean pass. Hammy admitted he lost Webber in his blind spot, and tried to close the door too soon. Racing incident. Webber is a LOT like Mansell. If you're going to pass him, it had better be a clean, no doubts pass. Otherwise it's likely NOT going to work.

Being only a half car in front means nothing except at the finish.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:19 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
I don't really care either way because I'd like to see Webber win the WDC, but I'd say LH was in front (completing the pass) and Webber stuffed it in there and picked him...IMO. Lewis is too much of a gentleman to speak about it before he sees the video so I'd be keen to hear his reaction after that interview.

It's going to be a great finish to the season!! 25 points for a win with 4 races left, 3 if Korea fails to be ready - so the top 5 are still in it!

Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Hem never got clear of Webber, maybe half a car length. Webber still had the inside line.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Originally Posted by S-Driver
...I'd say LH was in front (completing the pass) and Webber stuffed it in there and picked him...IMO.
He never got clear of Webber, maybe half a car length. Webber still had the inside line.

Well Gentlemen this is just one of those racing incidents...

Hammy has not yet completed the pass though he is "ahead" of the RB6 conversely Webber has the inside line and really has nowhere to go (over the curb is not an option) so he just can't "disappear" off the racing line.

In this case I agree with Gromit, as the responsibility lies with the overtaking driver to make a clean and safe pass.

Hamilton stated that he lost sight of Webber and in doing so he closed the door thinking he was clear of the RB6. Now, as we all know, Webber is not the easiest guy to get around (just ask his teammate) and that thought should have been foremost in Lewis' mind when he made the attempt to overtake. I guess that he saw an opportunity and went for it.

Lewis needs to temper his aggression and think in terms of the overall picture. Think about this one fact, Hamilton has failed to score any points in the last two races whereas Alonso has scored fifty vaulting him to second in the points with 191pts... Hamilton has dropped to third place with 182pts.

I believe that the cause of this incident lies with Hamilton and I think that the judgement of the race stewards was a proper one...

Two drivers racing hard for a win and precious points in the WDC come together in a racing incident...

In the end, Dame Fortune settled this one in favor of Red Bull and Mark Webber.

Last edited by Sabre; 09-28-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:00 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
I stand corrected...

I saw the incident again on YouTube and it showed that Hamilton was in fact only half way in front..So LH didn't complete the pass! Arrrgh...

Old 10-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
The passage of time, it seems, has a way of making our heroes smaller and less grand...

‘No Value’ In Beating Schumacher Now - Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton no longer considers beating Michael Schumacher to be a significant accomplishment...

Adam Cooper / GMM | Posted October 01, 2010 GMM Newswire

Lewis Hamilton has admitted it is no longer a special feeling to beat seven time World Champion Michael Schumacher.

When the 41-year-old German announced his return to Formula One for 2010, McLaren driver Hamilton said it will be "an honor and privilege" to go wheel to wheel with one of his childhood heroes.

"He is one of the sport's greatest competitors, a legend - it will be great to compete against him," said the 2008 World Champion, whose F1 career began the season after Schumacher initially retired four years ago.

"It doesn't matter whether I win or lose. The fact I will be able to drive alongside Schumacher is something I can carry all my life," added Hamilton.

But 15 races into Schumacher's difficult comeback, the 25-year-old Briton admits the thrill has gone.

"In the beginning I was very excited about his comeback," Hamilton is quoted by TZ newspaper during a recent visit to Germany.

"But now it's not the same because he is mostly racing behind me. In this respect there is no value in my beating him," he revealed.

Now I've never been a fan of Schumacher's and have always questioned his overly agressive on-track moves but I have to give the man his due as he is one of the sport's greats.

Wether you like him or despise him one cannot deny the talent that lies within him. I still think that Schu is competitive and if placed in the proper F1 car, he can win - absolutely.

Seems rather cold of Lewis to make such a statement but then again Schu's comeback season has been rather lackluster and at times full of controversy.

There are those that feel that maybe Michael should have stayed retired... I think that he is still capable of winning.

Now if Michael would just reform his manners on the track and tone down his ego...

Last edited by Sabre; 10-02-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:39 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I respectfully disagree......

I think we need more Schui's on the track - we have too many milqtoast sponsor controlled afraid to say or do anything wrong drivers in the sport as it is....

Look what happened to NASCAR when they let the drivers take the gloves off and start driving again! Yes, a couple of cars got wrecked - so what, they do that every race as it is/was....but the agression and risk taking went up significantly, and so did the level of competition.

The incident last week between Webber and Hamilton is a good example - I say "good on you, Mark", he took it to him and made it work.

This is supposed to be a championship fight, not an afternoon's drive in a pretty park.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
The greatest drivers in F1 history, won without ever having to smash into anyone. Clark, Stewart, Lauda, Prost, Fittipaldi, etc.

Rubbin and bumpin isn't racing. It's crappy car control.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:58 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
F1 is more about quality of car than quality of driver...

They are all really good drivers - it's the cars that seperate the good from the almost-as-good....

Put MS back into a top car and he'll be competitive again. May need time to adjust from retirement but he'll be there.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:17 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I call BS, Hunt, Senna, Prost, they all traded......well rubber and plastic plenty of times!

Old 10-02-2010, 07:02 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Ahhh......but did they retire for 3 years (which in F1 is a lifetime technology wise) and then come back. Prost went out for 1 year and anyways...I believe they all drove for what at the time were top teams. Still are. This years Merceded team is not last years Mercedes team....

Mansel stunk after he came back.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
...Rubbin and bumpin isn't racing. It's crappy car control.
That's oh so funny and so very true!

I couldn't agree more!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
I hear the sound of distant thunder... Is a storm brewing in Texas?

US GP Misses FIA Circuit Planning Deadline

GMM | Posted October 04, 2010 / GMM Newswire

Organizers of the 2012 United States Grand Prix in Texas have missed a deadline to lodge the design of its circuit with F1's governing body.

Promoter Tavo Hellmund said in early August that the Austin layout would be presented to the FIA's Circuits Commission in September.

According to a report in the Austin Business Journal, that self-imposed deadline was missed.

The organizers revealed the basic design of the track to the public on Sept. 1, and more detail to local authorities later last month.

But track designer Hermann Tilke's German-based company Tilke GmbH did not submit plans during the Circuit Commission meeting on Sept. 14, the FIA panel's president Roger Peart confirmed.

Sources said the organizers can theoretically submit the plans well into 2011, and a spokesman said the missed deadline is not an indication of problems.

"We look forward to breaking ground in December and hosting a race in 2012," he said. "We are working hand-in-hand with the FIA. We plan to deliver final plans in the next couple of months."

The FIA's Peart said the next Circuits Commission meeting is unlikely to be held until 2011.

Tilke also played down suggestions time is tight for the Austin track to be built for a 2012 debut.

"We are used to working under time pressure. That doesn't threaten us," he told the American Statesman from Germany.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
I call BS, Hunt, Senna, Prost, they all traded......well rubber and plastic plenty of times!
I did not include Hunt or Senna in my greatest list. I don't include Schumacher either. If Prost was trading paint, it was usually Senna initiating it. Senna was one of the worst F1 champions ever, Schumacher right behind him.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:22 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 10-18-2010, 05:33 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Wow....this thread sure has dried up!

Did nobody watch the Japanese GP??

Old 10-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Sabre
6th Gear
Wow....this thread sure has dried up!
Alright then S-Driver... Let's see if you and I can breathe some life back into it!

Did anybody watch the Japanese GP??
I watched it and thought it was one of the better races this year!

The Suzuka circuit and the RB6 chassis designed by Adrian Newey were made for each other! Red Bull looked unstoppable and not even the the driving talents of Alonso & Hamilton could stop the Red Bull Express...

Felt bad for poor Felipe Massa and Robert Kubica (especially Kubica as he got a great start and could have been a podium contender).

I enjoyed watching Kamui Kobayashi take his Sauber from 14th on the grid to finish in the points in 7th (though some of his Banzai overtaking manuvers were dicey resulting in sidepod damage to his C29).

There's no doubt that Kobayashi can drive and he is fearless when a passing opportunity presents itself...

Kamui put the moves on Barrichello and Sutil to name a few (remember awhile back the moves he put on Schumacher and Alonso so this is not a one time deal with Kobayashi... the man can drive). It would be interesting to see him in a different chassis (top tier team Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull) to see what he could accomplish.

Well its on to Korea and the WDC points are close...

Mark Webber / Red Bull Racing-Renault - 220 pts.
Fernando Alonso / Scuderia Ferrari - 206 pts.
Sebastian Vettel / Red Bull Racing-Renault - 206 pts.
Lewis Hamilton / McLaren-Mercedes - 192 pts.
Jenson Button / McLaren- Mercedes - 189 pts.

So this begs the question...

Who do you think will win the World Driving Championship?

Old 10-20-2010, 05:35 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
My money is on Webber but Vettal will be pushing him hard.

But I'd like to see Alonso win!

And who says ya can't pass in F1?? One word - Kobayashi!!

Massa, don't know what he was thinking trying to go down the grass. To me it did not look like he was pushed out there with a crazy blocking move and he could have blending back in.

Looking forward to the Korea GP but I may have to watch it next week because I'll be at NJMP for the last SCCA event of the year over hear, weather permitting!

Old 10-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Qualiflying for Korea was fiery...

The first two rows of the grid are TIGHT with four of the 5 championship contenders crawling all over each other...

Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Racing-Renault - 1:35.585
Mark Webber / Red Bull Racing-Renault - 1:35.659
Fernando Alonso / Scuderia Ferrari - 1:35.766
Lewis Hamilton / McLaren-Mercedes - 1:36.062

Turn one contretemps not withstanding, the start will be exciting...

One miscue and all four front runners for the WDC could be taken out much to the delight of Jenson Button who qualified a distant seventh at 1:36.731.

And let us not forget those who could play dark horse/spoiler, namely Nico Rosberg, Felipe Massa amd Robert Kubica ( 3th, 6th & 8th on the grid). That will surely add some spice to the mix!

It'll be a very early start to my Sunday (1:30 ET/12:30 CT) but well worth staying up for!

( I have to get a DVR... )

Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 AM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wont spoil ..

But that track SUCKS
Tilke had almost a blank canvas ..

WTF was Hermann Tilke thinking when he designed this tracK and worst of all turns 16, 17, 18 . they get my vote for the worst corners on any track AND just for good measure he tossed "Pit In" right there as well.

Jebez ... what was he thinking .. almost a clean slate and he builds a f-ing cattle catch . WITH WALLS !

Old 10-24-2010, 01:10 PM
RllyDrvrIX
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fabulous result from Korea!

Quick Reply: 2010 Formula 1 discussion