General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

using old tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:34 PM
wkndracr
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
using old tires

Ok, so I have an old set of Hoosier r3s03's that I used to run on my accord years ago, 225/45/15 for the front and 205/50/15 for the rear. I also have a set of 15" wheels with a 40mm offset. I've searched and it seems there should be no problems with fitment, but I was wondering what you guys thought about using old tires that have been sitting.

They were stored indoors in a warehouse for about 3 yrs, and then under a deck in black bags for about another 2. There's plenty of tread left and would be a shame to not use them, but i'm not sure if they would have gotten too hard or dried out from sitting outside so long.

I realize they wouldn't be optimal for auto-x, being the "R" variant and not "A", but it's what I have, and I don't think I would be too competetive in SM anyway, since all I have is the sc pulley and coilovers. My old r-comps from my G-stock days are shot and I don't really want to spend money on a new set of tires right now. For the few events a year I've been doing lately, I just want to get out and have fun, and not worry about the last few 10ths. I also plan to attend a HPDE in August and want to make sure these tires would be safe.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:48 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wkndracr
Ok, so I have an old set of Hoosier r3s03's that I used to run on my accord years ago, 225/45/15 for the front and 205/50/15 for the rear. I also have a set of 15" wheels with a 40mm offset. I've searched and it seems there should be no problems with fitment, but I was wondering what you guys thought about using old tires that have been sitting.

They were stored indoors in a warehouse for about 3 yrs, and then under a deck in black bags for about another 2. There's plenty of tread left and would be a shame to not use them, but i'm not sure if they would have gotten too hard or dried out from sitting outside so long.

I realize they wouldn't be optimal for auto-x, being the "R" variant and not "A", but it's what I have, and I don't think I would be too competetive in SM anyway, since all I have is the sc pulley and coilovers. My old r-comps from my G-stock days are shot and I don't really want to spend money on a new set of tires right now. For the few events a year I've been doing lately, I just want to get out and have fun, and not worry about the last few 10ths. I also plan to attend a HPDE in August and want to make sure these tires would be safe.
Did you check it for dry rot? There is a meter that you can get that checks hardness as well.

They may still be useable but I would not chance it. I think safety is extremely important as HPDE runs at high speeds.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 AM
wkndracr
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They look fine, no cracks in the sidewalls or anything like that, although the sidewalls are super stiff so it's hard to bend them to check. where are these hardness meters available?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:56 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wkndracr
They look fine, no cracks in the sidewalls or anything like that, although the sidewalls are super stiff so it's hard to bend them to check. where are these hardness meters available?
It is called a durometer.

Take a look at this: http://www.saferacer.com/longacre-ti...?productid=498

Old 05-11-2009, 06:50 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You really are talking about a balancing act between saving some money and risking potential serious damage to your MINI and maybe yourself. No one can really answer your question with certainty. Maybe the tires will work fine, maybe they wont. But if they do fail they will probably fail at the worst possible moment, when you are putting the most stress on them such as hard cornering or hard braking. I understand why you are asking the question but no one can possibly reassure you that you can use the tires with no risk to yourself or your car.