R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

2013 Countryman S All4 Acceleration Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 06:45 PM
WizCraker
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Countryman S All4 Acceleration Issue

I noticed the problem a few weeks ago. I heard a loud screeching noise but it didn't happen frequently so I kind of forgot about it. Fast forward to earlier this week and after a few minutes of driving there was a burning smell. Not quite rubber like but more electric.

I didn't really realize it until yesterday 15 February 2017 that the acceleration during this burning smell period was really slow. My Mini hasn't been taking off the line (at the stop light) as peppy as usual. I've been having to rev it up just get enough power to the wheels to get going.

Today 16 February 2017 I really noticed the acceleration problem. It is like when you accidentally have it in the wrong gear trying to accelerate from zero.

City driving is painful and kind of scary due to the super slow acceleration. Highway driving is interesting. By the time I get up to about 45 mph it is having trouble getting any faster. Gear 4 doesn't do anything but cause the RPM to jump erratically between 3 and 6. Gear 5 it starts to accelerate slowly again but have to be light on the accelerator or it will cause the RPM to just rev up.

The on board computer doesn't show any engine lights. It just shows All OK.

I found this thread and it reads like my problem.

Does the clutch appear to be suspect or does the description sound more serious?

Old 02-17-2017, 01:32 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Does sound like the clutch. A burning clutch smells more like hot brake pads.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:13 AM
2012CM
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Does sound like the clutch. A burning clutch smells more like hot brake pads.
Yup, I would also say clutch. If the revs go up but the car isn't moving any faster, then your clutch is slipping.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:17 PM
WizCraker
Neutral
Thanks for the suggestions. Crazy that the clutch could be the problem at only 28K miles.

How easy is it to replace a clutch? My 3 year warranty expired 36 days ago. :(

Also is it worth it to upgrade to a performance clutch over the OEM for better performance and durability? I don't want to be replacing the clutch every 3 years.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:01 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Clutches are pricy if you're paying a shop to do the work. Many people here do there own, it really depends on your skills.

The maintenance plan is 3 years and the warranty is 4 years but generally the clutch is considered a wear item and not cover under either plan. Worth asking about.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Countryman clutches seem to bite the dust rather quickly. I'd upgrade for sure. Several threads on past upgrades here on NAM.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:44 PM
WizCraker
Neutral
Any suggestions on which manufacture to look at for a clutch?