Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Cooper S JCW?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 06:35 PM
aau28
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper S JCW?

Sorry to post this as I am sure my questions have been asked before - if there is a link to threads covering my questions please direct me.

I am considering buying a 2012 Cooper S with what I believe is JCW trim. How do I know if the car is a true JCW or one that just has the cosmetic pieces added? - The inside sills show the JCW script but on the back it says Cooper S and I have seen some JCWs with the proper JCW badging on the rear. How can you tell visually? On the gear **** the script for the gearing is in red/orange, I think that regular Cooper S models have them in white.

What are the main things to look for when buying these cars used. The mileage is pretty low - 33,000 kms

Many thanks in advance.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:46 PM
spaceage
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds to me like a MCS with the JCW appearance package.

The most reliable method is to enter the VIN into a decoder: https://www.bmwvin.com/

Other obvious signs of a factory JCW will be the John Cooper Works badging on the rear gate and on the front lower grille. Pop the hood and look for the JCW badge on the engine cover. Also, I believe a 2012 factory JCW will still have a N14 engine, where a 2012 MCS will have the N18. JCWs didn't get the N18 until 2013. You can google the cosmetic differences between the two. They're easy to spot.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:39 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
+1 to everything that spaceage said. Use the decoder and it'll tell you right away. factory JCW's don't have a Cooper badge at all so I'm 99.99% sure that is a MCS with the more reliable N18 engine. Low mileage for sure, if the price is good that would be an excellent buy.

At 33,000km not much is probably wrong yet. Make sure it has solid maintenance history including oil changes between 8-16k km, preferably more towards 8.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:50 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have any pics or a post to the listing, we can take a look and let you know.

I have a 2012 MCS with the tuning kit. As mentioned above, the engine cover, rear badging and some other items are the giveaways.

You can also look at the side scuttles (the say S in red for the MCS, while the JCW scuttles are blank).