Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

JCW Clutch Issues True or False?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:05 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 36k on my 2009 but I would be surprised if it makes 50K and I baby it. The clutch cannot handle the power of this motor. Dump it at 3500 and instead of tire spin or a quick launch the clutch slips even if you momentarily back off the throttle (OK I only tried that 2 times otherwise I drive like an old man). My wife has 15K on the JCW clubbie and hers is making a humming noise when you engage it.Pretty much every car I have ever had was a manual and the only clutch I replaced (in 30 years of driving) was because I bought the car used with a fired clutch.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2011 MCS and it has 14k miles on it. I have driven manual cars and owned six motorcycles during my 39 years. Lately, my clutch pedal barely lifts two inches off the floormat and the car is pulling away and the clutch is fully engaged. I have noticed a drastic reduction in pedal throw.

If it is wear it is not related to my driving ability, or lack there of. I have been reading about a lot of people having this problem on 2010 and 2011 MCS.

Are there any threads with service bulletins or info from MINIUSA I can print and take to my dealer to use as ammo to get them to fix it, instead of blaming me?

Thanks

Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 AM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Why would you dump the clutch in a Mini Cooper?

Having had a 2011 MCS before my JCW....I will say the clutch action in a MCS was much easier.

In fact the JCW is hard to get engaged smoothly.

I do not like how the JCW clutch feels ....because it all comes at once....and low

Old 06-12-2012, 02:56 PM
guywhomaybuyamini
3rd Gear
What is the known defect? i am willing to bet my SA doesnt have a clue . he even thought i was full of bs when i said the 2012 oil change interval is 10000 miles. He also hasnt heard of the Engine rattle of death.
So this known defect is it anywhere in writing?

Originally Posted by robynlori
Got the wonderful service that I have come to expect from MINI of Sterling again with this issue!

Once they took it apart they were able to see that the clutch failed due to the known defect and everything is covered under warranty.

My SA assured me that once they install the improved clutch I should not have to worry about this recurring or have to baby the car out of fear that it is too "fragile" for normal driving!

Galen, the tech who works on my car and Shawn, my SA once again demonstrated the 110% effort that almost everyone at that dealership exerts to take great care of their customers

Old 06-12-2012, 02:58 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by guywhomaybuyamini
What is the known defect? i am willing to bet my SA doesnt have a clue . he even thought i was full of bs when i said the 2012 oil change interval is 10000 miles. He also hasnt heard of the Engine rattle of death.
So this known defect is it anywhere in writing?
It may be time to find another dealer to bring your to car to when you need your next service.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:40 AM
21JCW
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
17,000 miles, 1+ year, and ALL good. TT a few dealers prior to purchasing. They all said almost the same. Being that parts can be bad the day installed or constant abuse. All that being said, the dealers have admitted some clutches have been replaced in all Mini's but nothing really sticks out.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:02 PM
pappatho
2nd Gear
I bought my JCW used with about 6,000 miles. It now has about 47,500 and is getting a new engine under warranty. The SA called to say I only had a few mm left. I'm not sure what to make of this without knowing how thick a new clutch is, what it measures when MINI states it is worn out and what the actual measurement is now.

Clutch has never been abused since I bought the car and from what the dealership told me of the previous owner I doubt it was then.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:47 PM
robotrock
2nd Gear
I didn't bother reading the entire thread so apologies if this post adds nothing to the discussion.

Long story short, my 2009 has 29,xxx miles and I took it in for a few minor things including a squeaky clutch pedal when I was told the clutch and slave cylinder was toast and they'd be replacing it under warranty.

Although I'm glad I didn't have to fight with the dealer to have this replaced under warranty, it does make me reconsider my long term plans for the car. If I can only eke out another 30k miles on this clutch I'm not sure I want to keep the car.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by robotrock
I didn't bother reading the entire thread so apologies if this post adds nothing to the discussion.

Long story short, my 2009 has 29,xxx miles and I took it in for a few minor things including a squeaky clutch pedal when I was told the clutch and slave cylinder was toast and they'd be replacing it under warranty.

Although I'm glad I didn't have to fight with the dealer to have this replaced under warranty, it does make me reconsider my long term plans for the car. If I can only eke out another 30k miles on this clutch I'm not sure I want to keep the car.
The clutch that you had in your 09 was the original design which was faulty. Many of us have had our clutches replaced because of this issue. Some of us have had an easy time at the dealer and they just replaced it no questions asked. Some have had to fight to get it covered under warranty and a few have lost and had to pay out of pocket.

The new parts should last a lot longer.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 PM
NYC-JCW
2nd Gear
I have a 2011 JCW with approx 13,500.. No problems yet (knock on wood).
But reading these post does give me some concern..

Looking at some of the past posts with pictures of the failed parts.. I noticed the "burn' or "bluing" of the plate or flywheel... Then a statement of abuse from the dealer..

I'm not sure but I would think if your driving around and your clutch gives out...it's gonna slip and gee I think it would "blue"...
How do "they" prove that it was caused by abuse? If you were towed in from a track then maybe?... but

Also the "Factory JCW" is sold as "Street legal..just barely" "Bred for the track with high-performance tuning and parts".
I would thing it should have an upgraded clutch..and handle some abuse..

Old 08-08-2012, 08:44 AM
robotrock
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
The clutch that you had in your 09 was the original design which was faulty. Many of us have had our clutches replaced because of this issue. Some of us have had an easy time at the dealer and they just replaced it no questions asked. Some have had to fight to get it covered under warranty and a few have lost and had to pay out of pocket.

The new parts should last a lot longer.
Thanks for the reassurance. I read through the pages after posting (backwards I know). Now the only thing stopping me from keeping my car is the next generation of JCW's

Old 08-09-2012, 10:00 PM
guywhomaybuyamini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pappatho
I bought my JCW used with about 6,000 miles. It now has about 47,500 and is getting a new engine under warranty. The SA called to say I only had a few mm left. I'm not sure what to make of this without knowing how thick a new clutch is, what it measures when MINI states it is worn out and what the actual measurement is now.

Clutch has never been abused since I bought the car and from what the dealership told me of the previous owner I doubt it was then.
Do you have posts that tell your story why you need a new engine? I just cant believe how unreliable these cars can be. Yet we still buy them.. Was it driving up and down mountains alot? maybe oil wasnt flowing evenly in angles? or was it an advanced case of "engine death rattle"?
This is teh last one of tehs eI will buy.. I have some feeling i will baby this thing till 50,000 miles,,, then boom the engine or turbo just goes.... Then my service advisor will tell me I shouldnt take it to the track... and I dont even know where the track is lol.....

Old 08-10-2012, 07:29 AM
geco
1st Gear
Got my 09 JCW 2 months ago with 34k miles. The only thing I notice about the clutch is that it makes kind of a hydrolic sound when I disengage it. My 04MCS didn't do that. Should I be concerned?

Old 08-10-2012, 05:16 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just put an accessport to mine - the clutch action is much easier with the linear throttle map

Old 08-14-2012, 08:41 PM
pheine
Neutral
JCW clutch failure

'09 JCW clutch failed at 23K miles. Dealer says it is wear and tear not covered by warrenty. $3K to fix. Ouch!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
And that right there is what sucks about these MINI dealers. Mine failed at 27,000. I was all ready to have a huge blow out of a fight with them after reading posts here on NAM.

Had it towed over the next day. Got a call from the SA on the 3rd day. Come pick it up all fixed. Covered under a one time good will exception.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:22 PM
meckonica
1st Gear
Clutch you ask?
My 09 R55 JCW has 115K miles and is going strong! I am planning on replacing it (the clutch) at 120K Miles just as a maintenance issue.

i am open to suggestions on whether to go with a factory replacement or install an after market heavy duty Clutch Kit.

issues over the last 15K miles;

Thermostat replaced
Oil filter water jacket housing leak

Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I'm glad to hear that they changed the clutch. Given how few JCWs there are in this country, the number of failed clutches in this thread alone is not encouraging.

I just counted, we have over 100,000 miles on the previous MINIs with no clutch issues, we've both been driving stick for over 30 years. So far no problems in the JCW, but only 5000 miles (and 2 track days). Track days shouldn't be a problem, fast hard shifts are the way to get most life out of a clutch. Its slipping or feathering which is going to kill a clutch.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Murph
2nd Gear
09 with 32K on it. We took it in at about 20K telling the tech that the clutch was slipping occasionally, they test drove it and said it wasn't. Recently it began slipping on a regular basis and you could smell it after driving. Took it back and they replaced it at no charge.

My wife and I have been driving stick shift cars for 35 years, never had to replace a clutch. She drives the Mini most of the time and is easy on it. Her last car (BMW z4) had 115K on it, with NO clutch issues.

I believe the good dealers are aware that there are issues with SOME of the JCW clutches, particularly the 09s. Our dealer (Global Mini in Atlanta) just happens to have handled it correctly and replaced it under warranty. Ours did not suddenly fail, it started slipping and it gradually got worse.
FYI

Old 03-27-2013, 02:13 PM
gunflash
2nd Gear
clutch whistle

Took my warrented 09 JCW into the dealer today for clutch replacement.....the symptoms are like a whistle noise as I move off in 1st.....not apparent all the time and the technician had trouble reproducing the sound but it did happen and they are replacing it as I write this story.
I bought it 2nd hand at 27k and it now has 35k on it and being a Brit I have driven gear cars a lot in my Years of driving so I have not been "riding" the clutch or moving off in 2nd gear or dropping it?

Old 03-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
my clutch howls randomly during warmer weather when I am sitting on a hill and I start to take off, but I haven't noticed any slipping. I think it's hit or miss with these clutches, I have 30k on my car now, but I've read about other clutches failing very low in miles.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 PM
gunflash
2nd Gear
reply to Richie

Maybe there is some truth in 09 JCW vehicles having problems...as yet no slippage just a whistle and the tech actually described the noise as a whistle to me and my reply was "that's it" as I wasn't sure how to describe the noise so he hit it on the button!
Will follow up when I pick the machine up tomorrow and hope I can drive it another 75k before I need to go through this process?

Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 PM
meckonica
1st Gear
JCW Clutch Issues True or False

Well Fellas, i kind of see it like this;

In the most recent thread we have a Brit complaining about a Frog clutch design on a motor that is used in a Peugeot and adapted to go in the current series of Minis, driven by Yanks (that is Americans for those of you in South Georiga), and serviced mostly be red necks. not at all what Daddy Cooper had in mind when designing this car.

People are blowing through clutches like the they were girl scout cookies, come to think of it they just may be! They are smaller than before, don't last as long and the price is way over the top! ............ come to think about it, I wonder if my clutch wasn't a thin mint.....

my experience with clutches is:
84 Saab Turbo 35K no issues
85 Saab turbo 165K no clutch issues... but 3 transmission repairs
93 Audi A-6 (in Germany) 50K no issues
94 ford Taurus SHO clutch at 22K
97volvo s70 T5 50 hp upgrade 160K no issues
01 Audi TT no issues
03 BMW540! 6 spd no issues
03 R53 bought used 75K no issued
09 R56 JCW clutch recall traded it in at 30K
09 R55 JCW 127K kust put the first clutch in this week
While the clutch was out I had every seal that was even remotely associated with a transmission removal replaced.

While the minis are not built as strong as other european cars, the clutch issue is most definitely a weak area, but it is fun to drive.

As for side stepping the clutch at 3500 RPM, perhaps I can interest you in a chevy Vega or a Ford Pinto. Side stepping the clutch at 3500 in a car that has 209 HP at best, is tantamount to kissing your sister!

If you want to do that you need a car that is meant to be abused and your Mini does not fall in that category.

Good luck guys;

The number to beat is 126899 on a factory Mini clutch

Last edited by meckonica; 03-27-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 PM
gunflash
2nd Gear
Meckonica (is that a mouth organ or something.....no not complaining just need it repairing and after 35k one should be a little pissed off as from your list of cars you have minimal clutch problems and as for side stepping....never heard that term must be a Nascar term as I am sure the real racers in formula 1 do not use this move!
Any rate seems other people on the forum have had trouble with the 09 version of the JCW so here's hoping they put in a clutch that is suitable for the job or in engineering terms a factor of safety.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 AM
meckonica
1st Gear
Side stepping the clutch was a street dragracing term that could not apply to anything British because there is not enough room to perform that in a small car.

It was coined as a phrase when a famous drag racer from the 60's devised a faster way to engage full power off the line to gain the most advantage.

This move became well known in the SoCal area as "Side stepping the clutch.

The name of this innovator ......... Buddy Stepps ...............

Now you know.

Quick Reply: JCW Clutch Issues True or False?