Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Known design issues? Chain slap, intake design, what else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 03:19 PM
PTB
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Known design issues? Chain slap, intake design, what else?

I bought a 2009 JCW in May 2010. It had 25k on it and I've put about 5k on it since then.

I had the chain slap issue repaired already. That one was well-known and discussed on these boards, so I knew I should be watching for it.

This morning, my car went into limited power mode and was idle-surging between 750 and 1300 RPMs. Turns out that in cold climates, there's a design issue with the stock intake manifold that allows moisture to get in and refreeze. A redeisign should cure it, so they replaced the manifold with an updated part. Yay warranty!

Anyway, now that this has happened twice (tensioner design issue and intake design issue) just wondering about any other known issues I should be watching for. I'm not a regular lurker so I don't tend to keep up with the forum community. And searching/browsing isn't turning anything up. Are there any other known design issues I should have on my radar? I still have a while to go before the warranty runs out, but I don't want to wait until after my coverage is gone to find out there are other design issues that should have been addressed.

Thanks, everyone. Keep motoring.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:34 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
there is the ever popular high pressure fuel pump issue, but they have extended the warranty so I think it is pretty much a void issue. something to feel for none the less.

Maybe the window-dipper module issues (footwell module). I have personally had issues with the auto-up working properly. Something to maybe search for.

Also had an airbag light problem (if you have the sunroof) the roof can chafe a wire up in the headliner.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:14 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
In addition to above.

Trunk lid striker: 51247154735
Seat airbag harness kit replacement.
Headlight dip ( internals in headlight housing break off )
Boot Grab handle malfunction
Melting "S" Scoops -
Carbon buildup

Old 01-25-2011, 05:56 AM
blackbart
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
freezing intake manifold?

Where are you located that you have low temperature issue? I've never heard of this issue. Do you have OCC installed - this seems to also catch water vapor.

Originally Posted by PTB
I bought a 2009 JCW in May 2010. It had 25k on it and I've put about 5k on it since then.

I had the chain slap issue repaired already. That one was well-known and discussed on these boards, so I knew I should be watching for it.

This morning, my car went into limited power mode and was idle-surging between 750 and 1300 RPMs. Turns out that in cold climates, there's a design issue with the stock intake manifold that allows moisture to get in and refreeze. A redeisign should cure it, so they replaced the manifold with an updated part. Yay warranty!

Anyway, now that this has happened twice (tensioner design issue and intake design issue) just wondering about any other known issues I should be watching for. I'm not a regular lurker so I don't tend to keep up with the forum community. And searching/browsing isn't turning anything up. Are there any other known design issues I should have on my radar? I still have a while to go before the warranty runs out, but I don't want to wait until after my coverage is gone to find out there are other design issues that should have been addressed.

Thanks, everyone. Keep motoring.