Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Sooo Pissed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sneeezy, that's a funny story. I'll have to go have a read

Old 12-18-2010, 09:16 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd threaten to not accept delivery. It's a brand new car and you're already going to have the bumper re-painted? I'd force them to get you a new front bumper instead. I always worry about getting those holes filled in and painted over. Never looks quite right.

Bumper plugs might actually be a better option.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:26 PM
spinned
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are going to install the license bracket in the tow hole, I would make them give you a new bumper. Having holes filled is not a good option. Whos problem is it ...your or theirs?

Old 12-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Foo King Zo6
2nd Gear
So you think i should make them get a new Bumper? instead of filling holes? 4 Plugs is better then filling the holes.. OCD Is kicking in!!!

Old 12-19-2010, 01:21 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
On my 2010, there are two dimples in the bumper where the license plate screws are supposed to go. If they repair the holes, it'll be smooth.

Dave

Old 12-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Foo King Zo6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
On my 2010, there are two dimples in the bumper where the license plate screws are supposed to go. If they repair the holes, it'll be smooth.

Dave
Yea i like the smooth look.. can i make them do a new bumper, yes i could. But it's being picked up mon. the job will be warrantied it's the body shop that does all there work BMW MINI Certified, he did all there aero packages before the port did..since i didn't see it, does the jcw come with the dimples on it, too show where to screw bracket? If yes then i'll go for the smooth look.. don't worry after tomorrow no more crying and bothering you guys..lol

Last edited by Foo King Zo6; 12-19-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:11 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts to your bumper that may or not be relevant, only you can decide. If your kit was port installed it was PROBABLY pre-painted. I say this because the JCW kit on my previous car was and there's no way it was at the VPC long enough to have had to paint it, and Chili Red has been available pre-painted for some time. The one on my 2009 had no dimples, my 2011 bumper does but they are almost invisible, certainly not something I would try to "correct."
I said earlier that it would not be hard to fix the holes. A good body shop should be able to fill those and respray the bumper, a more skilled tech might even be able to do it with touch up. On a brand new bumper you would likely never notice and no reason to think it won't last. I would rather take that option over four body-colored bumper plugs.
But, and it's a big BUT....they will agree to replace the bumper with a brand new, unmolested, pre-painted one, I would ask for that, AND I would not take delivery on the car until it was installed. No matter how much you trust the dealership person(s) you are talking to, the saga could still drag out if you take delivery with the promise of a new bumper cap later. It shouldn't take them more than a few days to order up a pre-painted one, and they don't want to get stuck with your car, on-lot JCW's can sometimes stay there awhile. Just my thoughts.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Foo King Zo6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Just a couple of thoughts to your bumper that may or not be relevant, only you can decide. If your kit was port installed it was PROBABLY pre-painted. I say this because the JCW kit on my previous car was and there's no way it was at the VPC long enough to have had to paint it, and Chili Red has been available pre-painted for some time. The one on my 2009 had no dimples, my 2011 bumper does but they are almost invisible, certainly not something I would try to "correct."
I said earlier that it would not be hard to fix the holes. A good body shop should be able to fill those and respray the bumper, a more skilled tech might even be able to do it with touch up. On a brand new bumper you would likely never notice and no reason to think it won't last. I would rather take that option over four body-colored bumper plugs.
But, and it's a big BUT....they will agree to replace the bumper with a brand new, unmolested, pre-painted one, I would ask for that, AND I would not take delivery on the car until it was installed. No matter how much you trust the dealership person(s) you are talking to, the saga could still drag out if you take delivery with the promise of a new bumper cap later. It shouldn't take them more than a few days to order up a pre-painted one, and they don't want to get stuck with your car, on-lot JCW's can sometimes stay there awhile. Just my thoughts.
Thanks, i was told the JCW aero package has no Dimples..stock bumper does..

Old 12-19-2010, 05:25 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SNEEEZY - Erika
Besides, OEM Driving Lights on a sharp-looking MINI like yours wouldn't look "right". I can EASILY envision the larger, aftermarket lights on the lower front bumper...
I like the look... thank you very much.

Foo King Zo6... Ask for a new front bumper period. They will sell the bumper with drill holes on eBay or to the next sucker who orders a JCW aero kit. Believe me they are not going to be out any money on this.

All that is going to happen is that you will be pissed for the entire time you have the car..

Old 12-19-2010, 05:26 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Foo King Zo6
Thanks, i was told the JCW aero package has no Dimples..stock bumper does..
I can verify this to be true. Stock bumper has dimples to line up the drill holes. JCW bumper does not.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:29 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
This is excellent advice... right on!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Foo King Zo6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
I like the look... thank you very much.

Foo King Zo6... Ask for a new front bumper period. They will sell the bumper with drill holes on eBay or to the next sucker who orders a JCW aero kit. Believe me they are not going to be out any money on this.

All that is going to happen is that you will be pissed for the entire time you have the car..
You are absolutely right.. I thought JCW aero package came with dimples, so i was OK fix it I'll go with the smooth look..i better call them early tomorrow before body guy picks it up..

Thank you guys for all your help..

Old 12-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Foo King Zo6
2nd Gear
Well here's the update. I told them i don't want a patch job. I want a new Bumper! manager said as far as he knows he can't get a bumper with out whole kit. I told him you could. or i want JCW Steering wheel and Jcw suspension kit for free and I'll take the car as is.. so he's gonna check on those option's. I figure that would be worth it, then I'll just get a euro plate..

Old 12-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
Well here's the update. I told them i don't want a patch job. I want a new Bumper! manager said as far as he knows he can't get a bumper with out whole kit. I told him you could. or i want JCW Steering wheel and Jcw suspension kit for free and I'll take the car as is.. so he's gonna check on those option's. I figure that would be worth it, then I'll just get a euro plate..
Foo, for him to say he can't get a bumper is CRAP! Lets say you got dinged in the front bumper a parking lot by a shopping cart, is he saying you'd have to buy and entire kit? No way

Old 12-20-2010, 12:02 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
The cost of the suspension kit and installation is easily worth more than that bumper, if they will actually do that, I'd say go for it.
Depending on how handy you are, you could fix those holes yourself. There was a guy over on Bimmerfest who purchased a used M Roadster that had holes drilled in the front bumper. He filled them with Bondo, then carefully painted it with DrColorChip touchup paint and it looked brand new again.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Foo King Zo6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rixter
Foo, for him to say he can't get a bumper is CRAP! Lets say you got dinged in the front bumper a parking lot by a shopping cart, is he saying you'd have to buy and entire kit? No way
I know that.. but i'm thinking if for some reason they agree too my options, on the steering wheel and suspension might be a good deal?

Old 12-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
I know that.. but i'm thinking if for some reason they agree too my options, on the steering wheel and suspension might be a good deal?
Sounds like it would be a reasonable deal, provided the JCW Sport suspension is what you want. Some people find it a little harsh or they perfer coilovers. All in all, if they throw in the steering wheel, suspension, and patch the holes then I think you're in good shape

Old 12-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Foo King Zo6
2nd Gear
Surprisingly they found where they can get a new front bumper.. I knew they were not gonna go for that deal.. and wow its in stock!!

Old 12-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Wow imagine that

Old 12-20-2010, 02:32 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Wow. Nice guys at your dealership. Real honest. I would tell them to keep the car and order another elsewhere.

Here it is in pictures.

Front bumper that was purchased with the JCW aero kit. Looks like I was in an accident

And here is the car all fixed. Did they put a whole new aero kit on?? No. They ordered new front and rear bumper covers and had it painted.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Fish, you're making me jealous everytime I see your MINI. Enuff already

Old 12-20-2010, 02:38 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rixter
Fish, you're making me jealous everytime I see your MINI. Enuff already
Sorry .

Old 12-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Foo King Zo6
2nd Gear
Is it odd, that the manager said when the new bumper gets painted that there gonna transfer all the black plastic and grill to the new bumper? Not that i care, there brand new! but wouldn't it already come with that? All this for 4 stupid holes..

Old 12-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
Is it odd, that the manager said when the new bumper gets painted that there gonna transfer all the black plastic and grill to the new bumper? Not that i care, there brand new! but wouldn't it already come with that? All this for 4 stupid holes..
Like everything else on the MINI it's modular. The grill and plastic trim will have seperate part numbers. The fewer they have to buy/replace, the less expensive it is for them. Although I suppose somebody should analyze the technician's time to assemble vs the cost of buying pre-assembled.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:28 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
If you were buying the whole kit, it would be preassembled, since you're just buying one part of it, that's why it's separated. The port installed kit on my '09 was before they added the brake ducts. I did that myself later and it had only the parts needed to make the switch, nothing extra.

Quick Reply: Sooo Pissed!!!