Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

16" Snow tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Toronto_Guy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16" Snow tires?

I've been doing some reading, and I'm not very optimistic... but I thought that I would ask.

I picked up a set of barely used 16" Dunlop run flat snow tires and steel rims for a very cheap price (it was a trusted source, and the tires are in great condition).

I was doubtful that they would fit my 2009 JCW (with 17" rims) because of the Brembos. However, the guy that sold them to me said that he had checked with the dealership to make sure that they would fit. I verified this by calling two BMW dealerships in my area. Both times the service department told me that they would fit.

Based on everything that I have read on-line, they won't fit even if I were to purchase 16" alloys for them.

Can anyone help to clear up the confusion? I haven't actually tried to pop on one yet myself. I won't have time to do so for another week.

I'd hate to think that two seperate dealerships had service departments that were totally out to lunch.

On the bright side, I can wait until BWM sells out of the snow tire package come November, and then re-sell them for a nice profit. :-)

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:57 AM
minintrigue
4th Gear
I run 16 inch snows on my 06 JCW and I think the brakes are the same size. There's not a lot of room between the caliper and wheel but just enough.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:35 AM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by minintrigue
I run 16 inch snows on my 06 JCW and I think the brakes are the same size. There's not a lot of room between the caliper and wheel but just enough.
The 06 JCW brakes are nowhere near the size of the 09 JCW brembos. I doubt if any 16 inch rim on earth would fit....are you sure the dealers knew that you have a factory JCW?

Old 09-25-2009, 09:05 AM
j34
Neutral
There shouldn't be any confusion. Nobody has found a 16" wheel that fits over the front brake calipers on the '09+ JCW. Even some 17" wheels won't fit. Sorry about your misadventure with the 16" snows.

Last winter we bought 215/45r17 bridgestone ws-60 snows and they worked quite well. The dealer mounted these on the stock wheels and we drove the new car home in a snow storm :-O

Drove the Mini in some pretty poor conditions. Just in the midwest, so not really deep mountain snow, but in blizzard conditions several times. Would have been safer sitting at home or in a hotel at times, but never had any issues with the Mini. I see that Bridgestone has 205/50r17 size for this tire this year. The slightly narrower width would be preferable.

I see you're in Toronto --- I'm in Michigan, we get winter conditions similar to yours, just for less duration and less frequently. Last winter was worse than normal here (better if you like snow I suppose ;-) ).

I decided to go with the maximum snow/ice performance instead of getting a "performance" snow runflat tire. My thinking is that when you need the snow traction, you really need it and not to compromise that. Since the Mini is pretty light and the tires are pretty big, this worked out ok. Driving on dry pavement was fine.

Have just bought a second set of stock Mini 17" wheels to mount the snows on, so won't have to dismount/remount the snows again.

If you really want to throw money at the problem, there is a special narrow version of the JCW wheel and narrow pirelli winter 240 snow tire. Mini canada lists this, but I don't think anyone here has purchased that setup. See "r114" at this page http://www.libraryofmotoring.info/miniwheelguide.html

IMO, the brakes are the best feature on the JCW vs. the S, but the snow tire situation is less than ideal.

Last edited by j34; 09-25-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: to fix
Old 09-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Toronto_Guy
Neutral
Thanks for the help. Basically, I was misinformed my two different BMW dealerships in Toronto. I did point out that I had the 2009 JCW (in fact I stressed it) when I was on the phone. Probably, they assumed that I meant a CooperS.

If you live in the Toronto area, make sure that you do your own research before you believe anything that Toronto BMW or Town and Country BMW tells you regarding service. Or at least drop by the dealership, and make sure they check whatever they tell you with a service tech first.

Better yet, just check this forum and ignore the dealership entirely. ;-)

A buddy of mine is in the market for a Mini Camden for his wife. I'm sure he'd jump at a chance to get a set of snows for $1000.

As for the issue of actually driving in snow in Toronto, I have an SUV that I can drive on bad days. The snow tires would have been nice because my SUV is a pig on gas. I could have used my Mini to commute to work all winter.

My JCW came with Dunlop all seasons (sorry, don't know the model off hand). They actually weren't too bad in the snow last winter...

Old 10-17-2009, 12:04 PM
xbiker
Neutral
winter tires/wheels

For the '09 JCW Brembos:

Rota wheels with +45 or +48 offset will fit.

I have the Pirelli snowsports.

I am looking for RAIN tires for the Challenge OE rims. Any ideas?