Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Aftermarket wheels that fit R56 JCW brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 05:17 PM
cheezehead
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peterpan101
I believe the brakes on R53 JCW are what the R56S have now, hence they can runner smaller wheels
I dont have an R53. I have an R56 with the 16" JCW brake kit. There are 2 sets that Mini offers. the 16" kit and the 17" kit.

I'm getting some Traklite 1.0 wheels tomorrow from someone local that are a 17x7, so hopefully they will work out. if not, they will be up on the market place here.. hahaha

Old 08-18-2012, 01:39 PM
cheezehead
3rd Gear
Motegi Traklite 1.0 17x7 Way Too Easy!!!

I have more than enough clearance on these to probably fit on some 16's.

Name:  f3165d55.jpg
Views: 2524
Size:  140.0 KB

Name:  83d1f696.jpg
Views: 2275
Size:  113.5 KB

Name:  ab5d662b.jpg
Views: 2299
Size:  118.8 KB

Name:  50aafde0.jpg
Views: 2290
Size:  120.5 KB

Last edited by cheezehead; 08-18-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:06 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Brake clearance

Originally Posted by cheezehead

These look a lot like my Motegi wheels that I got from Tire Rack.one weigh a bunch less than the Challenge wheels that are now my winter tires. Motegi's weigh 16 lbs.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brakes look like stock Cooper-S brakes, not the Brembos the factory JCW's get.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Okay I've read through nearly this entire thread. It looks like if I buy a JCW Coupe in the next month that when prepping it for winter:

A.) I will not be able to fit a 16" wheel on it because the JCW brakes are too big.
B.) If I end up waiting for the GP, this problem will be even worse because its brakes are even bigger than the JCW.

Have I got that about right? I'll need to buy a 17" wheel/tire package for snow? I really wanted to go 16" for that.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kurtster
Okay I've read through nearly this entire thread. It looks like if I buy a JCW Coupe in the next month that when prepping it for winter:

A.) I will not be able to fit a 16" wheel on it because the JCW brakes are too big.
B.) If I end up waiting for the GP, this problem will be even worse because its brakes are even bigger than the JCW.

Have I got that about right? I'll need to buy a 17" wheel/tire package for snow? I really wanted to go 16" for that.
I can't speak for the GP, but for the JCW, 16" is definitely not an option. Here's a photo I dug up from when I first picked up my car, showing just how little clearance there is with the stock wheels. Heck, some 17" wheels don't even have enough clearance!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:52 AM
vtrich
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kurtster

As others have stated, you can use the stock Challenge with snows and then purchase a summer setup.

Thats what I've done and granted, you have to run a slightly wider and slightly lower profile snow tire than would be preferred, it still works pretty well.

AND then you can buy a lighter summer wheel/tire package that is, IMO, more useful.

I found a nice set of Rays/Volks 17x7.5 et42 that work perfectly and are light!

Good Luck.
Rich

Old 09-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont have an R53. I have an R56 with the 16" JCW brake kit. There are 2 sets that Mini offers. the 16" kit and the 17" kit.
This thread is about the factory-issue Brembo front brakes that come with every 2008+ JCW car. None of the 2008 JCW models come with a smaller set of brakes, although there are some dealer accessory brake kits for non-JCW cars that are labeled as "JCW."

Although the brakes above are red and have JCW logos, they are standard-size R56 brakes.

Originally Posted by Tu13es
That's the JCW Brembo front setup.

--Dan
Mach V

Old 11-20-2012, 02:25 PM
JChristopherWalken
1st Gear
Why does it bother me so much when people refer to wheels as "rims"? A rim is only the outside of a wheel.

/endrant

Old 11-20-2012, 02:30 PM
cheezehead
3rd Gear
Dan I was simply stating what the dealer told me.. If mine are just a red pair of brakes with a JCW logo on it, then so be it.. the dealer said they were JCW brakes and that is why i joined on to this thread.

There are in fact 2 sizes of brake kits you can get from JCW. if you dont believe me, look it up on the shipminiusa.com site. there is a 16" kit and a 17" kit.. the dealer said I had a 16" kit..

Originally Posted by Mach V Dan
This thread is about the factory-issue Brembo front brakes that come with every 2008+ JCW car. None of the 2008 JCW models come with a smaller set of brakes, although there are some dealer accessory brake kits for non-JCW cars that are labeled as "JCW."

Although the brakes above are red and have JCW logos, they are standard-size R56 brakes.

That's the JCW Brembo front setup.

--Dan
Mach V

Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Dan I was simply stating what the dealer told me.. If mine are just a red pair of brakes with a JCW logo on it, then so be it.. the dealer said they were JCW brakes and that is why i joined on to this thread.

There are in fact 2 sizes of brake kits you can get from JCW. if you dont believe me, look it up on the shipminiusa.com site. there is a 16" kit and a 17" kit.. the dealer said I had a 16" kit..
Unfortunately they look like they are just the regular MCS brakes painted red with the logo attached. I just wish that the dealers and Mini are more forthcoming about what you are really getting for your money.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts

There is a Shakespear play that fit very well here - Much ado about nothing...

These are "JCW" Brakes. This was the JCW option on the 1st Gen MINIs if I remember correctly.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:04 PM
meckonica
1st Gear
Rims or Wheels? What is The Correct Term?

Originally Posted by JChristopherWalken
Why does it bother me so much when people refer to wheels as "rims"? A rim is only the outside of a wheel.

/endrant
RIM.......Rims.......*******.......Re-Rim......Rimmed

Rim....The part of a car that the tires go on.

Wheels can be anything that rolls or a combination of a rim and a tire.

A wagon has wheels, a bike has rims or wheels both are correct.

The edge of the Grand Canyon is referred to as a Rim.

The term "Rim" has morphed to "wheel" ever since a certain segment of the population has adopted the term for things other than auto parts.

So you are correct and incorrect at the same time.

If you bent the rim on your 66 Road Runner you would have replaced the old "Rims" with Mag "Wheels".

In Short the term "Riming" once adopted by the afore eluded to segment of the "poopulation" has been replaced with "shopping for wheels" so as to more correctly describe the activity you are about to undertake

Perhaps now that you know the explanation and it won't bother you so much in the future

Old 11-21-2012, 09:14 AM
JChristopherWalken
1st Gear
Originally Posted by meckonica
RIM.......Rims.......*******.......Re-Rim......Rimmed

Rim....The part of a car that the tires go on.

Wheels can be anything that rolls or a combination of a rim and a tire.

A wagon has wheels, a bike has rims or wheels both are correct.

The edge of the Grand Canyon is referred to as a Rim.

The term "Rim" has morphed to "wheel" ever since a certain segment of the population has adopted the term for things other than auto parts.

So you are correct and incorrect at the same time.

If you bent the rim on your 66 Road Runner you would have replaced the old "Rims" with Mag "Wheels".

In Short the term "Riming" once adopted by the afore eluded to segment of the "poopulation" has been replaced with "shopping for wheels" so as to more correctly describe the activity you are about to undertake

Perhaps now that you know the explanation and it won't bother you so much in the future
Can't help but feel like I'm being condescended to, but that's probably because I majored in English. I know that's not what your implication was however.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 AM
meckonica
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JChristopherWalken
Can't help but feel like I'm being condescended to, but that's probably because I majored in English. I know that's not what your implication was however.
You may feel that way because as an english major you can spel yur wurds beter then me kan

I guess it bowls down to samantiks on the wheel thing, if your buying them the sales guy doesn't care what you call 'em as long as you have the requisite amount of cash to complete the sale.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
These are "JCW" Brakes. This was the JCW option on the 1st Gen MINIs if I remember correctly.
Okay, but that's NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT. To avoid confusing the issue, please do not post pictures of R50/R53 brakes in this thread. The topic is wheels that fit over the R56 (Brembo) JCW brakes. Because the R56 JCW brakes are pretty big, many wheels will not fit over them. Hence the need for this thread.

--Dan
Mach V

Old 11-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan
Okay, but that's NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT. To avoid confusing the issue, please do not post pictures of R50/R53 brakes in this thread. The topic is wheels that fit over the R56 (Brembo) JCW brakes. Because the R56 JCW brakes are pretty big, many wheels will not fit over them. Hence the need for this thread.

--Dan
Mach V
Hmmmm...
You got a guy with an R56 with a set of brakes that he says came from the dealer that clearly say JCW on them and you wonder why he is confused and posted here? And he won't go away when you tell him to leave with no explanation and gentle "let's get back on topic"?

Sorry for trying to help

Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Hmmmm...
You got a guy with an R56 with a set of brakes that he says came from the dealer that clearly say JCW on them and you wonder why he is confused and posted here? And he won't go away when you tell him to leave with no explanation and gentle "let's get back on topic"?

Sorry for trying to help
I understand what you are saying, but this thread is not about those brakes, whatever car they come on. Pretty much any MINI wheels will fit over them. The difficult one is the large, Brembo brakes that are standard-issue ONLY on the R56 factory JCW car.

--Dan
Mach V

Old 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Thomas_513
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
I have the NM Engineering RSe07 18" rims...

http://www.nm-eng.com/nm880701s-nm-e...ght-wheel.html

What is your suspension setup?

Last edited by Thomas_513; 02-11-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:03 AM
bill3571
1st Gear
guys, I want to put a 18" wheel on my 13' GP.
what is my best option?
thx

Old 09-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by bill3571
guys, I want to put a 18" wheel on my 13' GP.
what is my best option?
thx
"Best" depends on what you want. Lightest? Best-looking? Widest? You can choose wheels that will fit from this thread, but you're going to have to decide what is best for you.

--Dan
Mach V

Old 09-17-2013, 04:57 PM
meckonica
1st Gear
Whether you choose 18", or 19" make sure you go no wider than 7.5 wide. you also need a 42 offset to fit the JCW brakes.

This will give you the best results with no rubbing.

225 40 18 will fix the speedo error and they fit nicely in the wells.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a great set of 18" for sale! Fits ANY BBK set you can put on R56... I am off to Paceman so these are of no use to me now...

Contact me or check my ad in Market Place...

Old 09-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by meckonica
Whether you choose 18", or 19" make sure you go no wider than 7.5 wide.
This is not correct. You can run an 8" wide wheel -- some people have even run wider, although I would not recommend it.

Here's a car running an 18x8" wheel. I had this size on my own 2007 Cooper S.

...you also need a 42 offset to fit the JCW brakes.
Not the case. +42 IS a good offset in terms of tire fitting, but the offset of the wheel does NOT determine whether or not it fits over the brakes.

225 40 18 will fix the speedo error and they fit nicely in the wells.
True!

--Dan
Mach V

Old 12-25-2013, 08:04 AM
davidan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by spinned
Does anyone know if 17" Konig Feathers will fit without spacers?
I have the same question. Can someone using the Konig Feather 17" Wheels on a JCW Stock R56 Brembo Brake let us know if they fit without spacers?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheels that fit R56 JCW brakes