F60 Potential hybrid buyer with questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:13 AM
mountainsean
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Potential hybrid buyer with questions

Hi folks-

I'm pretty well settled on a hybrid Countryman, now just trying to decide on options. I'd really like an Iconic trim but those are proving very difficult to find. So if I decide to go with a Signature and build it up with the Premium and Touchscreen packages (which are more common in my area), then my question is how much I'm really missing. Specifically, how much do you like the HUD, and how well does the foot-activated power tailgate work? Those seem to be the main features I'd be giving up. When I was at the dealer we test drove a model with the power tailgate, but neither of us could get it to activate with the foot gesture. They didn't have a model with the HUD so I don't know what I'm missing.

Also, for those that special ordered their Mini, what sort of discount off MSRP did you negotiate (if any)? My dealer won't negotiate on MSRP for a special order - they're a "no-haggle" dealership, so you just get whatever discount they're offering when the car arrives, meaning I don't know what I'd be paying when I put down my deposit.

Thanks,
Sean

Old 07-26-2018, 10:18 AM
rbort
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
HUD and power liftgate are nice options, you want those if you can get them. The HUD is just another place to look at things and easier to see as its in the path of your eyes being on the road. Not 100% necessary, but nice. The power liftgate I consider important, you should get that option if you don't get the HUD. Also don't forget rear parking sensors. We don't have front parking sensors, would have been nice for my wife, but not as important as rear.

I don't care much about adaptive cruise control, it makes you drive as aggressively as the guy in front of you, which means less efficiency. I'd rather manage that myself as needed.

As for pricing you can certainly haggle on the price. Its not inconceivable that you should be able to get 5k off the sticker price. I would never pay MSRP. Dealers do give discounts and you can ask for some more so keep that in mind. Never order one without knowing what the price is going to be agree upon.

By the way, you don't need the car to be at a dealer near you, find one somewhere else and pick it up there or have it sent over though that does cost some extra in some cases.

-=>Raja.

The following 2 users liked this post by rbort:
BossHoss (07-26-2018), mountainsean (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 11:35 AM
BossHoss
1st Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
IMHO it sounds like you will miss not having HUD and Kick-Tailgate (works great...just need to know the technique.) So if it is on your Want list and doesn't blow your budget, be a little patient and find (Cars.com, CarGurus.com AutoTrader.com, etc.) the right (for you) car. There are lots of nicely appointed SE Countrymans out there...or wait until the one gets posted.

And Raja is definitely correct about shopping for a better opportunity--besides saving some money, one of the best rides there is is a long drive home in your brand new car! I found my deal only 300 miles from home but would have loved it to be 600 miles.

Good luck Sean--please let us know what happens.

The following users liked this post:
mountainsean (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 11:56 AM
mountainsean
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BossHoss
IMHO it sounds like you will miss not having HUD and Kick-Tailgate (works great...just need to know the technique.) So if it is on your Want list and doesn't blow your budget, be a little patient and find (Cars.com, CarGurus.com AutoTrader.com, etc.) the right (for you) car. There are lots of nicely appointed SE Countrymans out there...or wait until the one gets posted.

And Raja is definitely correct about shopping for a better opportunity--besides saving some money, one of the best rides there is is a long drive home in your brand new car! I found my deal only 300 miles from home but would have loved it to be 600 miles.

Good luck Sean--please let us know what happens.
Thanks - a drive would be nice, but if I buy out of state I have to somehow get it back to CO without registering/titling it (which probably means shipping it) in order to be eligible for the state tax credit ($5k). Still, it might be worth it - I'll search around.

I've heard the kick-tailgate can be fussy - I read a number of threads here where it would randomly open/close, or not respond to kicks (which was my experience), etc. So I guess I'm not sold on that feature. The HUD though does seem pretty cool.

How do people like any of the alternate leather options (i.e. anything but the standard black leatherette)? Black leather is really uncomfortable in the CO sunshine, but the stitching on the Chesterfield Oak was rougher than I liked. Leaning toward Satellite Grey leather.

Sorry one more question: for those without the Storage Package, do you just lose the under floor space in the cargo area completely, or is it still there but more of a hassle to get to?

Thanks,
Sean

Old 07-26-2018, 12:45 PM
kwolfman
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The HUD is great when using navigation. It is really useful when multiple lanes split and you can clearly see where you need to go. The only issue is the display can not be seen when using polarized sunglasses. That sucks because they are the only kind I wear.

BossHoss (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 12:49 PM
mountainsean
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kwolfman
The HUD is great when using navigation. It is really useful when multiple lanes split and you can clearly see where you need to go. The only issue is the display can not be seen when using polarized sunglasses. That sucks because they are the only kind I wear.
Ahhh, that could be a deal breaker. I'm pretty partial to my polarized glasses...

Old 07-26-2018, 01:18 PM
rbort
2nd Gear
As for picking up the car remotely, you can do a couple of things.

a) dealer #1 in NY gave me a dealer plate to drive the car home and a prepaid envelope to ship the plate back. Once I got home I went and got my own plates.

b) dealer #2 in VA gave me a temporary cardboard plate to drive home. I arranged with my insurance that I would be covered, and drove home on that. Then I got my new plate once home.

There are options.

-=>Raja.

BossHoss (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Stretch-22
1st Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I like the HUD way more than I thought I would. It's nice to have to glance at the speed, or the cruise control, or the navigation.

I personally do not want the power lift tailgate. It's just something else that can go wrong down the road and be an expensive repair. I'll open the hatch the old school way.

Good luck.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:43 PM
rbort
2nd Gear
You might think that now, but think again about it. I have a Ford Cmax with a tailgate that opens like that since 2013, they almost pioneered it the first time I saw that on a car, and its great. You walk to the car with groceries, you kick you foot under the gate and it opens, very nice to put your stuff down without having to put the bags down first.

Or you're carrying something else, or you're in the car driving and someone wants to get in and put stuff in the back, you can open and close the tailgate without even getting out of the car. Trust me its alot nicer than you think, I thought originally maybe its not worth the extra money, but I love it now wouldn't be without it and that's exactly why we got the mini ALSO with the power liftgate.

Don't underestimate the power of convenience. And so what, if it breaks you fix it like anything else, though it really may not.

-=>Raja.

BossHoss (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 02:51 PM
BossHoss
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kwolfman

In my previous 2018 Countryman I could not see anything on the HU Display while wearing my sunglasses (pretty sure they are polarized.)

That is not the case any longer with the same sunglasses on the HU Display in my 2019 Countryman...no issues reading the screen-- I swear.

The Tailgate problem was an issue on my 2018...it was fixed (programming) by my dealer as a recall.

There are no Tailgate issues on my 2019...the trick to consistent kick-opening is to kick a bit more slowly, and a bit to the right of the center of the car. (about the "Y" in Countryman.) Like Raja, I am a fan of the convenience.

Last edited by BossHoss; 07-27-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:46 PM
rbort
2nd Gear
Bosshoss, that's a sweet looking ride white on black looks great!

I'm going to get the mud flaps for mine, will order tonight, that looks good too and add to the look

-=>Raja.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:10 PM
18cmjcw
2nd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Here's a bit more input on the options.

HUD: For me, it's most useful when I'm navigating... at 1 mile from the next course change, the HUD shows the correct lane(s) to be in, and when at complex intersections it also shows a diagram with an arrow indicating which of the many streets to turn into. Extremely helpful. Having cruise control and speed info in the HUD is good, but not as critical because a glance below the HUD to the speedometer is the time honored way to check that info; and it's about the same amount of momentary distraction either way. I have Oakley Iridium Polarized sunglasses, and on my 2018 JCW, I can see the HUD projection but less brightly because of the polarization... however, if I tilt my head briefly left or right (tilt, not rotate), the polarization angle changes and the display momentarily becomes brighter for me to confirm the info I'm interested in more easily.

Tailgate: I have the power tailgate option, but had the dealer re-program it after having the tailgate open a couple of times on its own. Following the reprogramming, the only way the kick-open gesture works is when the car is "double" unlocked (all doors unlocked). I usually do this using the remote key as I am approaching the car, and while I'm doing that, I usually just click the tailgate button to open it instead of kicking madly under the car. So kicking open is no longer a convenience option for me... but I must say that I don't really miss it. However, the kick-close gesture does work, and I find that useful when I am removing stuff from the cargo area and my hands are full. One of the main reasons I got the power option is that I hated having to slam the tailgate on my X3 to ensure it was properly shut. Slamming the tailgate is a recipe for future rattles at a minimum.... the power option gently opens and closes the tailgate. Finally, there are two buttons on the tailgate for closing it electronically... the second button fully locks the car after shutting the tailgate. I use that one all the time.

--Bob

BossHoss (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 02:31 AM
BMacUC
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I also have the HUD and power tailgate, and highly recommend them both. While the HUD is great for speed and navigation, I also find it very useful for changing radio stations and songs on a playlist. If you push the up or down buttons while listening to music, you can cycle through the available radio stations or tracks and it shows all the info on the HUD. This keeps you from having to look at the center display (CID), which can be very distracting.

The power tailgate foot activation has been hit or miss for me but I find that I use the remote more than anything else. It’s really nice to be able to hit the remote button and have the tailgate swing open. Then just push the button on the boot and walk away as it shuts. Super nice feature, first time I have had it on a car and I love it. You can even adjust how far the tailgate opens via the CID!

BossHoss (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 07:40 AM
mountainsean
1st Gear
Great info, thanks all. So one more question on the HUD - one feature I find really useful on my other car is that it keeps track of the current speed limit. I know the HUD does this, but does the Nav do this if you *don't* have the HUD?

-Sean

Old 07-27-2018, 07:47 AM
BMacUC
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mountainsean
Great info, thanks all. So one more question on the HUD - one feature I find really useful on my other car is that it keeps track of the current speed limit. I know the HUD does this, but does the Nav do this if you *don't* have the HUD?

-Sean
From what I understand, you must have the adaptive cruise control (ACC) option for the HUD to display current speed limit. My 2018 does not have ACC, sadly, so it does not display speed limit on the HUD. What I don't know is if the 2019 options are different and if ACC comes with HUD option?

Anyways, it does NOT display the speed limit on my mini NAV. It does, however, display the speed limit if I use Apple Maps thru Carplay, but only on the center display. By the way, apple carplay is amazing, easily one of my favorite features, def a must have for iphone users!

Old 07-27-2018, 09:14 AM
rbort
2nd Gear
the only way the kick-open gesture works is when the car is "double" unlocked (all doors unlocked)
That is not true with the 2019 Countryman SE. You can open the tailgate with your foot even if the car is locked. Man, that's the whole idea. If you get there with stuff in your hands, you mean to tell me you have to unlock the car first and then kick your foot under the tailgate to open it? If that's the case and you got your hand on the FOB already, then you just push the button for the tailgate and take the shortcut way there instead of unlocking and kicking.

-=>Raja.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:39 AM
BossHoss
1st Gear
Exclamation

Originally Posted by BMacUC
From what I understand, you must have the adaptive cruise control (ACC) option for the HUD to display current speed limit. My 2018 does not have ACC, sadly, so it does not display speed limit on the HUD. What I don't know is if the 2019 options are different and if ACC comes with HUD option?
My 19 E-Countryman does have Adaptive Cruise Control. I was not able to find an option to get the Posted Speed Limit on the Center Screen with Navigation Running....

The Posted Speed Limit was, of course, available on the HUD. (I pulled into a Gas Station and parked next to the side walk so Nav thought I was still on the street.)

Old 07-27-2018, 09:57 AM
GnFnRnBacon
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rbort
That is not true with the 2019 Countryman SE. You can open the tailgate with your foot even if the car is locked. Man, that's the whole idea.
As he stated, he had his vehicle coded to change that functionality, as he (and several others) have had issues with the tailgate opening "on its own" at inopportune times.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:10 AM
rbort
2nd Gear
^^^ I guess don't get that option then.

-=>Raja.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:11 AM
BMacUC
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BossHoss
My 19 E-Countryman does have Adaptive Cruise Control. I was not able to find an option to get the Posted Speed Limit on the Center Screen with Navigation Running....

The Posted Speed Limit was, of course, available on the HUD. (I pulled into a Gas Station and parked next to the side walk so Nav thought I was still on the street.)

@BossHoss What is the button above your CID, next to the emergency flashers? Is that related to ACC? I don't have that button but it looks cool and I want it lol

Old 07-27-2018, 10:13 AM
mountainsean
1st Gear
So according tot he owner's manual, all SE Countryman's (even those without Nav and without HUDs and without Driver's assistance) have a camera built into the back of the rearview mirror which watches for speed limit signs records the posted speed limits. Apparently this can be displayed on the HUD if you have it, but also on the on-board computer display inside the speedometer if you don't. Can anyone (without the HUD) confirm? See page 149 "Speed Limit Info".

https://www.miniusa.com/content/dam/...19/f60phev.pdf

-Sean

Old 07-27-2018, 10:44 AM
BossHoss
1st Gear

The way I read that is that the Speed Limit information is at best unreliable....

I would suggest a better (and very good) alternative would be CravenSpeed Gemini Mount (line of sight placement) and Waze (always shows the Posted Speed Limit.)

Last edited by BossHoss; 07-27-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:00 PM
18cmjcw
2nd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rbort
^^^ I guess don't get that option then.

-=>Raja.
I think you missed my point, Raja. I wasn't complaining about the loss of the kick-open gesture (though it's obvious something is amiss in some vehicles with the sensor/mechanism/control if one has to re-program the car to get the unwanted opening to stop)... I was trying to state that the kick-open capability was not my primary reason for purchasing the power tailgate option. My primary reason was the lesson learned from my X3 that slamming a tailgate shut manually to ensure locked closure eventually engendered annoying rattles over time. I got it for the "gentle" open and close. But I am happy, too, to have a convenient way to close the tailgate with a kick-close (icing on the cake, so to speak), and of greater value to me, the "second" close button on the tailgate to close and lock the whole car without having to use the remote... I use that button all the time. Certainly the relative value of the power tailgate features may be different for others.

Cheers,
-Bob

BossHoss (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 08:49 PM
OrangeCrushTX
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can always order a MINI the way you want. $1,500 bucks down and you will get your perfect MINI. The wait is killing me, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:17 PM
Pups06112003
Neutral
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Little search here and there..

Just picked up an iconic SE two days ago. Me as a business owner adore the power lift gate with kick function. It does Take a little bit to find that special spot (dead center in the back). But after a few tries you’ll get used to it and it became extremely useful. HUD I’m ok... Good to have, but honestly not a deal breaker. I had HUD in my 15 M3 and I love it, because it projected right on to the windshield. Mini however, have that flap.. It’s fine and all but unfortunately the set up makes it constantly in between the windshield seam, the hood, and a little bit of road. If you’re easily motion sick it’s not the best for you. One thing I do now is to adjust it all the way down so it stay on the hood in my field of vision.. but that kinda lose the “heads Up” part of it...Plus, adding a ravenspeed phone holder effectively keep the phone on your field of vision.
Speed limit info does display on HUD, mine has the collision warning package that came with iconic trim.

I’m used to buying cars out of state (as far as NY even though I’m located in Seattle!)
Im sure there will be one with iconic trim somewhere nationwide. It’s just depends on if you’re purchasing or short term leasing? What comes down to is adding the shipping cost in. Some experience and tips...

Scnario 1: When I leased my 2015 M3 from New York, the dealership had a quota to fulfill. Therefore they agreed on doing discount on custom ordered with the manufacture MF from lease. “BestBuy auto leasing” is the company to go for those inquiries! They’re actually located in NY and very smooth to work with.they arranged the paperwork as well as shipping to the door. Shipping cost coast to coast was about 1400.

Scnario 2: when i leased my i3, none of the cars around me seemed attractive (as always). Nor they willing to negotiate. I’ve searched nationwide again on autotrader and found several along the coast. I didn’t want to go too far this time due to the cost of the car when factor in shipping. Emailed several dealership and eventually settled a deal at Bmw Las Vegas. Had them send up the paperwork, completed with an attorny, then went to Vegas for a 4 day fun with new car. Before heading down I arranged a bidding at Uship to ship the car from Vegas to seattle. Eventually bid set and cost me around 600 bucks (if you’d like to arrange shipping yourself try do it 3 weeks ahead!) Or you could ask the dealership to arrange it, but they might be more expansive.

Scnario 3: I’ve leased a SE three days ago, thankfully this time locally there is only one around in Iconic with Lapisluxury (all I wanted.) But they were asking too much monthly... (into the 600s with 3k down) I did a autotrader search again to find other similar priced along the coast and ask for price. I usually go up front with being out of state/ whether I’ll arrrange the shipping or not/ where to sign paperwork/ terms and credit score... etc.. They in return, will go upfront on the best they can offer. This works almost all the time, but there are dealerships that’ll just say no to you because they don’t want to deal with out of state deals.(but plenty others do) First thing I did was to call my local dealer with the iconic by letting them know not too far away there is a similar equipped one with similar MSRP but 200 dollars less a month! Let them figure out what’s the best they can do and then calculate the discrepancies between shopping elsewhere and shipping. Eventually they lowered to price match and saved me a trip down to Cali. Dealership so far doesn’t discriminate between different trims as they all share the same MF and residual when it comes to lease, ( or purchase, fully loaded signature is basically the same price as iconic) also try to locate a dealer with bigger inventory of loaded models as they’re usually harder to push out for them and willing to negotiate.

Feel free to let me know if you need any help! Buying a car is a big deal after all, make sure you get the one you want and not settled when you walk in! I’m really enjoying the extended options that came with iconic trim, def worth it considering signature could be loaded up to the same price!

Attached Thumbnails Potential hybrid buyer with questions-caab3574-05dd-4a46-892b-369a38515f7f.jpeg  
BossHoss (08-14-2018)

Quick Reply: F60 Potential hybrid buyer with questions