F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 2021 MINI Countryman

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 02:02 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by atruelunatic
It's the same in my 2020 as your 2021. I used Bimmercode to always start in Sport Mode and disable Auto Start/Stop.
Ugh. Thanks for your response. Was hoping to avoid BimmerCode. May have to investigate further.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:10 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Cracked Trim on Transmission Lever

Folks,
Noticed that there is a crack in the trim piece on the transmission lever UNDER the clear plastic shell. Took the car to the dealer today and they told me that this was the second car to come in that way and that they were opening a case with MINI. There must be something going on in the assembly process, or the trim piece itself is defective. It's purely cosmetic and if it takes weeks to replace, that is fine by me. Just wanted to put it out there...

The following users liked this post:
MiniDad08 (10-10-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 12:11 PM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Too Many Beautiful 2021 F60's Here ;-)

Wow! I love all of your 2021 F60's (@Midnight Blue @MiniDan @briguynyd , @etc.) . You make it VERY difficult to decide which color I should order. I love them all actually. ;-) So nice to finally have the MiniUSA configurator for the 2021 models. Congratulations on your purchases...!!! The very fact that @Midnight Blue is on his 4th MC.....gives me confidence on how great these cars are to own ;-) We absolutely love our 2016 F57.....

The following 2 users liked this post by MiniDad08:
Midnight Blue (10-11-2020), MiniDan (10-11-2020)
Old 02-23-2021, 07:36 AM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
Hello Midnight Blue!

Not sure if you're still following this thread on NAM however just checking to see how you like your new Countryman? I really like your configuration and would like to order one soon. Considering we were originally wanted a base vehicle with AWD and a compliment of safety features, we purchased a Subaru Forester Touring instead of going with the Countryman. With that said, I still want a Countryman for myself as my wife will drive the Forester in the winter months. She enjoys driving our (her) Mini convertible in the Spring, Summer, and Fall months.

FWIW, I refer back to your configuration/photos frequently as It provides the best actual real world look as to how the vehicle would arrive.

Thanks for any feedback you can give!

Old 02-23-2021, 11:24 AM
oqy1977
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
Our car arrived at the dealer on Thursday. Hoping to take delivery on Monday or Tuesday. Here it is fresh off the delivery truck.

mini main line? I bought mine from there too.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:49 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
MiniDad08 - We are really enjoying our 2021 MCS All4 Countryman. The car is better and more sophisticated in almost every way compared to the 2017. While we miss the 6MT. the 8sp automatic is very responsive and the paddles work surprisingly well for an auto trans. However, we find that the drive selector is counter-intuitive - push it forward to go backward (reverse) and pull backward to move forward (drive). I know they are mimicking PRNDL but I still have to think about it. The Adaptive cruise control was also a pleasant surprise as it really works well,

A longtime gripe, which remains with the '21, is the run-flat tires. You will feel every little bump and bounce,they are not forgiving. Sure you can replace them but since we lease, don't want to make that investment. Also disappointed that if you want all-season tires, you have to stick to the 18" wheels.

If you want a small, premium all-wheel drive vehicle in SUV-form, the '21 F60 is an excellent choice.

We are really happy overall and would make the same decision again.

If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.

MiniDad08 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 11:50 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by oqy1977
mini main line? I bought mine from there too.
Yep! MINI of the Main Line. Our third MINI from that dealership.

oqy1977 (02-23-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 09:57 AM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
So glad to learn that you are happy with your 2021 F60! Thank you for the feedback! Again, love the color and design build of your Mini. Your photos made it much easier for my wife and I to visualize the end result of our color/build design. We ended up getting a Subaru Forester Touring for our base family vehicle (my wife's convertible 2016 Mini is stored here in Ohio winters) however my passion is still for the Mini Countryman even though they don't have the compliment of safety features that our Subaru has. It is unbelievable that BMW does not offer a remote start option for many of their vehicles. Even though there were aftermarket remote start options for earlier F60s......... I could not find any after market manufacturer that made a remote start for the 2021 F60. Oh well ;-) At 66 y.o., I'm still going for my Countryman and my wife can have the Forester for her winter driving. We call our Mini convertible the equivalent of our Harley but only more practical and safer ;-)

FWIW, I had some surprising news about ordering my 2021 F60 yesterday when I sent the 2021 build to our Mini dealer. Mag Mini of Dublin, Ohio informed me that Mini is no longer taking orders for the 2021 F60. They indicated that starting in March (2021), Mini will now be producing 2022 models with delivery in late May to early June. Cost will be increasing about $500 however this is offset by the fact that Mini is offering a $2000 pre-order discount. I'm really surprised that Mini would be coming out with their 2022 model so early considering the fact that it was not until the fall of 2021 that they were taking orders for their 2021 models. Apparently, there are very few changes. The most notable but insignificant change is that Mini is now offering a heated steering wheel. I'm uncertain about color options however hopefully they will still offer white silver with black trim options like yours.

Just curious, do you do winter snow driving in your Countryman? If so, how well does it go in snow covered roads. Our previous 2005 and 2009 Mini hardtops did relatively well in the snow when equipped with Blizzaks so I imagine the Countryman will have no issues even without snow tread.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Old 02-24-2021, 11:07 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I recently drove my 2020 All4 Clubman in the snow (we got 18" last month) and it was fine. Just the stock tires. One thing everyone should get on their new Mini are the adjustable dampers. For sure. My understanding is that the 2022 cars are pretty similar to the 2021's which are about like the 2020 models. Except for the new digital guage cluster (no thanks). I would love to have that heated steering wheel though!

The following 2 users liked this post by TheBigNewt:
Midnight Blue (02-25-2021), MiniDad08 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 12:53 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Minidad08 - Interesting news on the 2022! The 2021 was supposed to be orderable last March/April but the pandemic changed all that. I had read somewhere about the heated steering wheel and having had that option on other cars, it is really worthwhile if you live in a cold climate. I have driven our F60 in the recent snowstorms we've been experiencing here in the Philly area and the car performs quite well in the snow. We have all-season tires and have not found the need to buy real winter tires. Sometimes it is prudent to disable traction control while driving in deep snow which actually reduces wheel spin when one side of the car needs more traction.

Good luck with your order!

TheBigNewt - we have the adjustable dampers and while they may make a difference, I can't tell if they are doing anything at all!

MiniDad08 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 03:28 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Minidad08 - Interesting news on the 2022! The 2021 was supposed to be orderable last March/April but the pandemic changed all that. I had read somewhere about the heated steering wheel and having had that option on other cars, it is really worthwhile if you live in a cold climate. I have driven our F60 in the recent snowstorms we've been experiencing here in the Philly area and the car performs quite well in the snow. We have all-season tires and have not found the need to buy real winter tires. Sometimes it is prudent to disable traction control while driving in deep snow which actually reduces wheel spin when one side of the car needs more traction.

Good luck with your order!

TheBigNewt - we have the adjustable dampers and while they may make a difference, I can't tell if they are doing anything at all!
I have the adjustable dampers and they make a big difference. We have a late model Audi Q7 with the standard non-airbag suspension and while it has an overall compliant ride (it better!) it feels a bit stiff-kneed over bumps and pavement imperfections that the MINI deals glides over as it dynamically adjusts in real-time. Different ends of the weight and size spectrum and the MINI just feels better. In default mode, the adjustable dampers are roughly 10% softer than a non-adjustable suspension MINI. In Sport Mode, they are roughly 10% stiffer. So even between MINIs with and without the adjustable suspension you will notice the difference. Short story: back-to-back with another Countryman you will notice the difference. Otherwise, enjoy the ride knowing that it is different and that it will take a bit of the sting out of the runflat tires lack of sidewall compliance, too.

Midnight Blue (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 07:28 AM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
Midnight Blue - Thank you for reminding me about the reason (Covid-19) for the ordering delays of 2020. I initially was unsure whether or not to believe the dealer I had sent my build specs to. It simply seemed too early until I re-read this thread from the beginning and followed your timeline. I do have some concerns about MINI making undesirable changes for 2022 on the R60 as not everyone is fond of the front end in the regular 2022 Mini. https://www.motoringfile.com/2021/01...hed-2022-mini/

Since ride quality is important to my wife and I (old people ;-) I may opt for the 18" wheels to give a little more cushion to the ride. I'm not sure how much the adjustable dampers make a difference in ride quality however according to TheBigNewt and eric.stewart input, they must make some difference.

Thanks again for your input.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:36 AM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
Originally Posted by eric.stewart
I have the adjustable dampers and they make a big difference. We have a late model Audi Q7 with the standard non-airbag suspension and while it has an overall compliant ride (it better!) it feels a bit stiff-kneed over bumps and pavement imperfections that the MINI deals glides over as it dynamically adjusts in real-time. Different ends of the weight and size spectrum and the MINI just feels better. In default mode, the adjustable dampers are roughly 10% softer than a non-adjustable suspension MINI. In Sport Mode, they are roughly 10% stiffer. So even between MINIs with and without the adjustable suspension you will notice the difference. Short story: back-to-back with another Countryman you will notice the difference. Otherwise, enjoy the ride knowing that it is different and that it will take a bit of the sting out of the runflat tires lack of sidewall compliance, too.
eric.stewart - Thank you for the input on the dynamic damper control. Ride quality is important to my wife and I we prefer a softer ride to that of performance which is why we often go for more tire and less rim. It sounds like the damper control allows you to enjoy both ride qualities in the F60. We will be sure to include this option in our 2022 F60 order.

eric.stewart (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 07:37 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniDad08
Midnight Blue - Thank you for reminding me about the reason (Covid-19) for the ordering delays of 2020. I initially was unsure whether or not to believe the dealer I had sent my build specs to. It simply seemed too early until I re-read this thread from the beginning and followed your timeline. I do have some concerns about MINI making undesirable changes for 2022 on the R60 as not everyone is fond of the front end in the regular 2022 Mini. https://www.motoringfile.com/2021/01...hed-2022-mini/

Since ride quality is important to my wife and I (old people ;-) I may opt for the 18" wheels to give a little more cushion to the ride. I'm not sure how much the adjustable dampers make a difference in ride quality however according to TheBigNewt and eric.stewart input, they must make some difference.

Thanks again for your input.
Good to hear that your getting answers, or at least opinions LOL! The Countryman is very good in the snow with its All4 AWD. It's at least as good as the Quattro system on our Audis. I have Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 run-flat winter tires which, though not the last word in deep snow traction, are perfectly suited to the performance characteristics of the car. We just completed a 3200 km round trip in the Countryman from Ottawa, Canada to Halifax Nova Scotia and the car didn't put a foot wrong.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:41 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
MiniDad08 - I would be surprised if there were any significant exterior styling changes for 2022. The Hardtop changes are from an LCI (mid-cycle refresh) and I agree that the new front-end is less attractive. There may be some new options (blacked out beltline trim would be great, badge delete, things like that) but nothing significant.

We did go with the 18" wheels we had to have all-season tires. I would have selected the 19"' wheel had all-season tires been available with that wheel option. But you are correct that the 18s are more compliant than the 19s though all the run-flats are stiff and you feel everything.

One side note - all the powered USB ports in the car (under front center armrest and the two in the rear) are USB-C, so plan on buying new cables. The center dash stack has one standard USB port which is the only port that you can use to connect a USB Memory stick or device that connects to the audio system. I use a very compact Samsung memory stick which has my library of 10K+ songs and playlists stored on it. Easy to resync with my library and use in the car. Supports album art and playlists.

eric.stewart (02-25-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 03:20 AM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
We did go with the 18" wheels we had to have all-season tires. I would have selected the 19"' wheel had all-season tires been available with that wheel option. But you are correct that the 18s are more compliant than the 19s though all the run-flats are stiff and you feel everything.
There are plenty of all-season tires available in the 225/45/19 sizing if you want the 19" wheels though including the Cinturato P7 Run Flat if you want to stick with a BMW star mark tire.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:31 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ND40oz
There are plenty of all-season tires available in the 225/45/19 sizing if you want the 19" wheels though including the Cinturato P7 Run Flat if you want to stick with a BMW star mark tire.
Yes, this is true but MINI USA does not offer any 19" all-season tire which means either paying a premium for the dealer to swap or buying the tires on your own. Since I lease, neither of those options are appealing as they add cost to the deal. Would be much better if MINI made them available as a no-cost option as they do withthe 18" wheels.

MiniDad08 (03-02-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 10:30 AM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Yes, this is true but MINI USA does not offer any 19" all-season tire which means either paying a premium for the dealer to swap or buying the tires on your own. Since I lease, neither of those options are appealing as they add cost to the deal. Would be much better if MINI made them available as a no-cost option as they do withthe 18" wheels.
It's all the better if you're leasing. You immediately purchase the 19" tires you want to drive on for the entirety of your lease upon taking delivery and you put the brand new never used OEM tires back on right before you turn it in. You can't get dinged for the tires on turn it all. I do the same with my purchases, keep the stock tires and put them back on at trade in.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:41 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ND40oz
It's all the better if you're leasing. You immediately purchase the 19" tires you want to drive on for the entirety of your lease upon taking delivery and you put the brand new never used OEM tires back on right before you turn it in. You can't get dinged for the tires on turn it all. I do the same with my purchases, keep the stock tires and put them back on at trade in.
Perhaps, but not for me. The MINI is not the primary car so we drive it around 5K miles per year. Never had to replace tires on a lease turn-in ever. But you do make a good point for people that actually put real miles on the car!

MiniDad08 (03-02-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 10:56 AM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Perhaps, but not for me. The MINI is not the primary car so we drive it around 5K miles per year. Never had to replace tires on a lease turn-in ever. But you do make a good point for people that actually put real miles on the car!
You need to drive them harder.

I just traded my X3 M40i last month with 18k miles on it and it failed inspection because the front Scorpion Zero All Season Plus I put on were so worn. Dealer didn't care because the original summer run flats were in the hatch and they just swapped them back on.

eric.stewart (02-28-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 06:49 AM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
Great looking Mini (F60) configuration! Just curious, is this the Iconic trim level? Certainly looks like it based on the black roof rails which I believe are an added cost and only available in the Iconic trim. I would love to order the Iconic trim in order to get black roof rails however at this trim level, you only have the option of ordering with Sport Seats. Because I am 6'4" 255 lbs. the Standard seats are much more comfortable which puts me at the Signature trim level.

Old 03-02-2021, 07:01 AM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
@Midnight Blue I share your thoughts regarding tire/wheel sizing and summer performance/all season tires. So very frustrating that Mini does not offer the 19" British two tone rims with all season tires. Also frustrating that Mini does not offer black roof rails with the Signature trim level. I'm limited to ordering a MC with standard seats due to my 6'4" 255 lb. body size. Sport seats simply are not comfortable as the bolstering digs into my back. Based on your previous comments about ride quality, I would have concern how well the 19" tires would ride however. On our Mini Convertible (F57), I actually ordered 15" rims based on speaking with someone at Tire Rack. Ride quality is high on our priority list rather than cornering performance. My wife and I refer to our F57 as our "Harley" ;-) Looking forward to finally ordering our 2022 F60.

Old 03-02-2021, 07:18 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniDad08
@Midnight Blue I share your thoughts regarding tire/wheel sizing and summer performance/all season tires. So very frustrating that Mini does not offer the 19" British two tone rims with all season tires. Also frustrating that Mini does not offer black roof rails with the Signature trim level. I'm limited to ordering a MC with standard seats due to my 6'4" 255 lb. body size. Sport seats simply are not comfortable as the bolstering digs into my back. Based on your previous comments about ride quality, I would have concern how well the 19" tires would ride however. On our Mini Convertible (F57), I actually ordered 15" rims based on speaking with someone at Tire Rack. Ride quality is high on our priority list rather than cornering performance. My wife and I refer to our F57 as our "Harley" ;-) Looking forward to finally ordering our 2022 F60.
I'm 6'1, 175lbs and wish the sport seats were more comfortable - they are confining and tend to aggravate sciatic nerve on long road trips, but I digress. As much "youification" that MINI offers, there are big gaps as you point out. Black Roof Rails should be available on every trim level. Sport seats should be a no-cost option on Iconic.

Anyway, good luck with your spec. Happy to answer other questions.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:12 PM
Mini-Titan
4th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
I have the Iconic trim with the Lounge Leather seats. With the adjustable, dual-level lumbar support, I've never had a more comfortable seat in a car!

Old 03-26-2021, 11:42 AM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
Wallenius Wilhelmsen (WW) is the RoRo carrier for MINI and BMW. Their website has a track and trace feature. You USED to be able to input your VIN and it would provide all sorts of info on the status including vessel name, ETA, ports of call, discharge status, etc. WW removed the ability to search by cargo ID (VIN) but there is a workaround:

Use the URL below, without the quotes of course, and append your full VIN to end after the = sign. If WW has "received" your vehicle, it will display the manifest information.
"https://att.2wglobal.com/gstattweb/ocean.do?method=displayOceanQuickSearchResult&ocea nQuickSearchCriteria.cargoId=" (there should be no spaces in the URL, NAM is adding the space)

I will add that you can review shipping schedules (select port Zeebrugge and your destination port, most likely NY) and it will show the vessels and dates for that route.

Let me know if this works for you. It should.
Unfortunately Midnight that link no longer seems to be working. I was however able to pull up the shipping schedules based on your information. Thank you. 866-Ask-Mini just informed me that our F60 is at the port. I do have VIN information however for some reason, the link you referenced is no longer working for me at least. Regardless, it appears like it is a 11 or 12 day journey across the "pond" as they call it.

Quick Reply: F60 2021 MINI Countryman