F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 06:30 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Apple CarPlay

I upgraded to the iPhone X, and as suspected, CarPlay now works snappily. It was my iPhone 6 that was to blame.

Still, it seems CarPlay is a bit limiting. I'll give it a try for a few days and see if I like it, but standard iDrive generally seems more useful to me.

You guys still using CarPlay?

Old 11-29-2017, 08:57 AM
I'mMelting
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm glad you asked this question Darex; I have been curious as well.

I agree, the iPhone X has really improved responsiveness of CarPlay.
I like CarPlay for messaging, calendar notifications etc. and like responding via voice with Siri.

I am staying with the Mini nav system. I like having guidance on the HUD and think the maps on the main screen are better than what Apple offers.

So, I am using a "hyrbrid" approach. Mini for nav, CarPlay for other uses.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:28 AM
iceknyght
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a 6S when I first got the car, CarPlay worked great. I now have an 8 and CarPlay works great as well (and I can charge the phone wirelessly)! :D

I use CarPlay everytime I drive the car. I rarely use the Mini system. It defaults to Apple Maps when I get in (cause that's what I usually leave it on) and it suggest where I want to go based on my maps useage... I love that!

The only thing I wished is that I could add CarPlay apps to the side screen (it only allows Mini apps as of now) since most of them are not really useful...