F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Something of interest

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 08:33 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Something of interest

Got an email from a friend regarding License Plate display. I was shocked to read the laws in some states.

“ The Ohio Revised Code Section 4503.21 states in part...’No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued...’” – this is ambiguous for Ohio as it doesn’t specifically mention the state sticker. However, in the examples, below, for Arizona, Iowa, North Carolina, New Jersey, and our firsthand experience with a New York sheriff they can fine the driver if the state name is covered up.

They got stopped, with the following exchange with the Police Officer:

We just wrapped up a month of travel that, last weekend, included a trip to Western New York to visit two college-based adult children. It was a great weekend, but on the last day, on Sunday morning, we were trailed for several miles by a county sheriff. Eventually, she sounded her bullhorn and pulled up alongside our passenger side. She rolled her window down; I did likewise.

“What state are you from,” she asked.
I gave a reply, wondering if this was like answering, “Who’s buried in Grant’s tomb.”
“Your state sticker is blocked,” she said.
“You mean there’s mud on my plate?”
“No your state sticker is blocked.”
“You mean my renewal sticker in the corner fell off?”
“No you’re state sticker is blocked by your license plate bracket.”

She advised us that we were in violation of the law and that normally this was subject to a ticket and a fine. She offered up that if we removed the bracket ASAP, she’d let it all pass. As serendipidity would have it, we were carrying tools that our son asked us to retrieve from his bedroom and bring on our next college visit to him. Off came the license plate bracket.
I have one US ARMY bracket on our daily driver and a straight Carbon Flash frame on the C7 and both block the upper and lower writing on the rear plate.

Who'd have thunk? Soooooo, be aware that if a cop has it out for an owner of a particular car brand or happens to stop you for something else, he can tack the $100+ fine to the stop should he choose to.

http://www.phoenixrealestateguy.com/...e-frame-legal/ - Arizona

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...t-court-rules/ - Iowa

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8701776/ - North Carolina

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/StandardIssue.htm - New Jersey

http://www.local10.com/news/drivers-...plate/26126150

Old 09-08-2015, 08:50 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It's ridiculous that they would pull them over for that, let alone give them a fine. Don't they have better things to do? I'd be embarrassed to be that cop.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:31 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Yep, pretty much a nation wide law, whether we agree with it or not.

Not highly enforced sure, but something to keep in mind. If the back plate is obscured in any way, it can cost you $100+ and you don't have a leg to stand on ("ignorance of the law is no excuse" was the operative phrase used).

I'm going to yank my plate frames off the cars. Just isn't worth the hassle or expense should a cop decide to start enforcing this law.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Sailorlite
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't those frames come in different shapes in order to accommodate individual states' names and stickers? Why not install only the "correct" frame?

Old 09-08-2015, 01:50 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yep, same goes for Colorado. If the state name is blocked due to the license plate frame, it's "illegal." Also, if you have a rear plate cover and it's tinted, it's also illegal because it obscures the plate. Had a friend who had to remove his due to this. I don't run any plate frames or covers just so there is no excuse to be pulled over.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST