F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Platypus

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 01:10 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Platypus

That's a weird lookin' word right there. Well, I guess you could say it fits a weird lookin' critter too.

But, that's not what this is about. I decided I wanted to give CravenSpeed's most recent no-hole front license plate mount (Platypus) a try. I have used US Millworks mounts on my last two cars and have been happy with them. Except when the car has to be put in the service mode for one reason or another. Every time I got it back from the shop the quick clips for the quick release feature had been replaced with tiny cotter pins that required disassembly of the mount to remove them. Kind of defeated the purpose of the QR (quick release) feature that I paid extra for.

After a talk with Kellen at CS about the Platypus, he offered me a unit to compare with the US Millworks mount. With no downside that I could see I decided to try one and compare it with my US Millworks unit. The first thing I learned was that the QR feature was standard on their mount vs extra cost on the US Millworks mount. Initial installation of the CS takes much less time than the USM mount. It takes multiple tries to get the angle and location of the mounting bolts right on the USM mount. This involves the tow hook shaft and eight hex head screws/bolts and a half moon plastic thingamajig. The CS just has the tow hook shaft and one bolt to worry about. The CS unit is built with the mounting tab at the correct angle right out of the box. Installation is much faster. The CS also comes with a flat wrench to loosen and remove the one bolt. This fits in my "secret compartment" or console easily. Takes up much less room than the long nose pliers that I had to carry to use the USM QR feature. The other major difference is the USM is all anodized alloy while the CS has anodized alloy shaft and powder coated steel plate mount. None of this is apparent when mounted though.

Bottom line is...... You can't really go wrong with either one, but I'm gonna stick with the Cravenspeed unit. I prefer the QR feature on it over the USM mount. The CS is also less expensive than the USM mount and is easier to mount and remove. I can't speak for the durability of the CS yet, but if it's like any of the other CS parts I am using and have used, I know that won't be a problem. As anyone who has dealt with CS knows, their customer service is second to none.

Attached Thumbnails Platypus-fullsizeoutput_55c.jpeg   Platypus-fullsizeoutput_565.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
bratling (03-08-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
I love my CravenSpeed one!

Old 03-06-2018, 07:53 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I will be grabbing one of these, as a front plate is required in Texas. However, I NEVER run a front plate. There are two reasons I will get one. I actually think it looks good. Secondly, I have been pulled over a couple of times for no front plate, so this will be something easy to put on/off when needed. Thanks for the review, as I was thinking about the USM version as well.

One last thing... CravenSpeed honestly has some of the best customer service I've ever received from a company.

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (03-06-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 04:55 AM
MomMini
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Great review. I was looking at these for my 2019 JCW that I ordered. Do not want holes drilled on the front of the car. Was going to order and try it on my 2015 Mini. If it fits then then hopefully i will have not issue on the 2019 model.